Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Preflop equity confusion???

Old
Preflop equity confusion??? - Tue May 07, 2013, 07:40 PM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2013
Hi All,

I have had a poker equity calculator for some time now, which has started to cause me a bit of confusion.

According to certain starting hand charts, when in early position the chart indicates to raise preflop with TT.

Now running this in my poker equity calculator with 8 other opponents left (holding random hands) to act gives an equity of 22% to win at showdown.

Now looking at other hole cards, such as QJs, running the poker equity again gives around 21% equity to win at showdown against 8 other opponents left to act (holding random hands).

My question is, what are the reasons for entering the pot preflop with TT in early position, and folding QJs in early position (as indicated by starting hand charts) when they both roughly have the same equity to win at showdown?

Thank you for all your help.

pullin1988

Old
Tue May 07, 2013, 07:46 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi pullin1988!

Opening TT for a raise is much better and here's why....

First, by opening for a raise, the majority of the opps behind should fold their garbage hands.

Secondly, while I expect to be in a race with 10's, I'm not going to be easily dominated like I would be with QJ, as KQ, AQ, AJ, KJ are well within the range of a player that would call.. meaning I only had 3 outs at best and would never be ahead.

TT is also ahead of Ax and Kx hands, where QJ is well behind them.

Due to the open-raise, opps that stay will not have random hands, they should have progressively better and better hands for each caller and the trash hands should fold.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Last edited by JWK24; Tue May 07, 2013 at 07:49 PM..

Old
Wed May 08, 2013, 05:31 AM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2011
If every pot was multiway and always went to showdown, then suited Broadways would do much better than most pocket pairs. In fixed limit games (where hands are multiway and go to showdown pretty often), a hand like T9s is a better hand than 55, for example, because T9s has multiple ways to win. 55 would usually have to make a set (2 outs) and hope no one makes a straight/flush in order to beat multiple players.

In No Limit though, hands don't go to showdown all that often, and it's rare to have more than 3 players seeing a flop, because a pre-flop raise will disincline multiple callers. One of the reasons we raise TT UTG is to narrow the field and try and get heads up. Pocket pairs do much better against one opponent than they do against several, because they won't be going to showdown all that often.
e.g. With a hand like TT, you can c-bet a K72 flop and - if your opponent has no king - you'll often win the pot. If the board is bad for TT, it's easy to fold it for minimal losses.
One of the problems with QJ is that it usually needs to make top two pairs or better in order to win a big pot. If you just flop top pair Q, you're crushed by AQ/KQ and QQ+. Being potentially "dominated" means that QJs is a harder hand to play than TT, and can lose big pots, especially out of position.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri May 10, 2013, 03:15 PM
(#4)
Since: Apr 2013
Thank you for all your help!

Regards,

pullin1988

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com