Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

nit shoves underpair

Old
nit shoves underpair - Wed May 08, 2013, 01:11 PM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2013

Why would a nit do this he knows im not a station so i doubt hes shoving any king here and my c bet don't mean i have nothing, i don't see a reason for him to be tilting im baffled i called this purely because a calling station just rivered me again and i was well annoyed this time so i had to call this AA hand with all the unlikelyness of him having a K as well

Old
Wed May 08, 2013, 01:38 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi Mike,

A few possible reasons:

1) Your read needs revision, he's not a nit.

2) He has a read on you that leads him to believe you are out of line here or that you will call with worse hands than JJ (based on your statement, that read could be that you're tilting... and in fact your statement is clear that you were tilting... "rivered me again"... "I was well annoyed"... he may think you're ready to snap stack off 88 here).

3) He has some other read on you (accurate or not) or is playing uncharacteristic for a reason unknown to you (Maybe his spouse was just yelling at him over something and he's tilted, etc).

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed May 08, 2013, 01:45 PM
(#3)
i thought a nit plays like 8% of hands?

Old
Wed May 08, 2013, 02:03 PM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2011
I see bad nits make this play constantly at 2NL. They sit around all day waiting for TT+ and AK, so when they finally get a hand and see a flop, they spaz out. This guy isn't aware of your image. He's not aware of your range. He's a level one thinker probably playing 24 tables and breaking even, because loose passives call with worse often enough. He sees the flop, thinks "It's a paired board, Mike won't have a king very often, I have a pair, ALL IN!"

This sort of play is especially common among the guys that buy-in for 80c. They were schooled on the short-stack strategy recommended on another forum, which was designed for 20bb stacks, but they play the same way with 40bb. i.e. "Raise pre, shove every flop whether you hit it or not". It's a ridiculous strategy, but it just about works at 2NL. (I knew one guy on a rival network that always open-shoved 40bb with JJ-66 and AJ+, regardless of position or action in front of him, and he was winning at 8bb/100 over a sample of 400,000 hands of 2NL. When he tried the same strategy at 5NL, he got crushed.)

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed May 08, 2013, 02:21 PM
(#5)
wow really 8bb/100 playing like that, that's mad fair play though. yh this shove made no sense to me i was like why would you do this i would of found that fold button as well if that fish didn't peel a $1 off me.

Old
Wed May 08, 2013, 02:41 PM
(#6)
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2198 View Post
i thought a nit plays like 8% of hands?
JJ is in the top 8% of hands.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed May 08, 2013, 03:19 PM
(#7)
I know you said hes not a nit but he had 8% vpip i was asking is a nit someone who only plays 8% of hands, sorry im bad at explaining.

Old
Wed May 08, 2013, 03:37 PM
(#8)
(Head Trainer)
8% VPIP is quite nitty for 6-max.

I didn't say he wasn't a nit. You asked for possible reasons why a nit might do this, and gave no read information, so one of the possible reasons is it's a bad read and he's not a nit. If you had said in the OP his VPIP is 8% I would have excluded misread on "nit" as a possible reason.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed May 08, 2013, 03:47 PM
(#9)
Oh sorry my bad lol ok yh thats my fault again i never give enough information.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com