Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

5NL 6-Max Zoom: Interpreting click back flop raise

Old
5NL 6-Max Zoom: Interpreting click back flop raise - Thu May 09, 2013, 04:37 AM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2012
5NL 6-Max Zoom. Are there any issues with my line in this hand?

I only had 13 hands on villain, but he was running 46/38 and only one table. He seemed fishy.

I tend to view click-back raises as fairly polarizing. Either they have strong hand like a set, or a weak hand such as semi-bluffing with a draw. In this spot a weak hand seemed most likely.

The 4 on the turn was unlikely to have helped the villain. When he checked, I assumed his flop raise was a bluff, but my hand wasn't so strong. Im not sure if I should have bet for value and to protect my hand, or focus on pot control and checking.

The river was another brick. Now I felt rather confident that I indeed was ahead. I lead with a bet and get raised again. This smelled weak. I called since reraising seemed to risk getting value owned.

Thanks!

Roland GTX

Old
Thu May 09, 2013, 10:46 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi Greg,

I would bet/fold the turn... if he check-raises again that's enough to convince me, but typically what we'll see here is a weak Q, a 9, a draw hoping for a free card, or some freak turned 2 pair where he was making a move on the flop and then improved, like 34s. He'll call with all Qx, probably all 9x, and certainly all draws.

As played, I like the call on the river, his line makes no sense... better hands should bet for value and not risk a check-behind, and bluffs should also bet and not risk us checking! Now that doesn't mean we're good... he seems fishy and thus may do a lot of things that make no sense, but I think we are going to see enough weird stuff we're beating to make calling fine.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu May 09, 2013, 10:57 AM
(#3)
Since: Jan 2012
Thanks Dave!

He was holding A10o and I won a decent pot. I just felt a bit handcuffed postflop since I didnt have any idea what he was holding.

I have seen more strange play in my 3K hands of 6-Max this week than I have all year on Full Ring. Perhaps, I notice it easier now that I have some experience. Perhaps Im used to 25NL. Or, perhaps 6-max attracts a different type of player than full ring. Im learning and having fun no matter what the reason!

Roland GTX

Old
Thu May 09, 2013, 11:31 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Doesn't surprise me... ATo definitely falls into the "weird stuff" category here.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com