Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

[JK] Bankroll Builder promotion.

Old
[JK] Bankroll Builder promotion. - Thu May 09, 2013, 02:42 PM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2013
Hello.

I'm new to PSO and would like to take part in the bankroll builder promotion.

Old
Thu May 09, 2013, 02:54 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Be sure to read THIS just to be be sure of exactly what's on offer with the Bankroll Builder promotion.

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion. Please check back this time tomorrow!

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschoolonline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu May 09, 2013, 03:42 PM
(#3)
Have done, thanks for the info.

Old
Thu May 09, 2013, 06:43 PM
(#4)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hello iFUcallUwinK,

You are eligible for the Bankroll Builder promotion, good job!

NB: Bookmark this page so that you'll find it easily in the future

First Step

Watch the following video and pay special attention to the tips on retrieving and saving your hand history from PokerStars. This will be important for the rest of your promotional journey.

After wacthing this please play some PLAY MONEY FULL-RING (9-Handed) tables at PokerStars and using the Hand Replayer post a hand here in this thread that you have questions about.

Here is a video on how to use the hand replayer.

Then when you have that done please have a go at the Poker Basic Course and pass the quiz at the end of the course.

So you have 3 steps to do to begin with and when you have all 3 done we will award you with your first bonus.

1) Watch the 'Getting Started' video
2) Post a 'PLAY MONEY' hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer
3) Pass the Poker Basic course.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 steps completed.

Best of Luck!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu May 09, 2013, 10:50 PM
(#5)
Hello,

I've watched the getting started video, have a hand below with a question and have completed the Poker Basic course and passed the quiz.

With this hand I was wondering if the raise I made was correct. Due to my stack size I was wondering wether I should of just moved All-In on the flop instead of raising to almost half my stack. The overbet and call by my oponent's on the flop made me think what the best course of action would be to get maximum value.

Old
Fri May 10, 2013, 12:18 AM
(#6)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi iFUcallUwinK!

With 66 and four limpers in front of me, I'm more than happy to limp behind and try to setmine.

I flop bottom set and before the betting gets to me, there is a bet of 100 (over a pot-size bet) and a call of it. A standard sizing for a raise from me here would be to between 3X the previous bet (300) and a pot-sized raise (380). With the call of the bet, I'd tend to use the top end of this range, HOWEVER, this is 1/3 of my stack, which means that I'm pot committed. Since I'm pot committed, I'm going to shove the flop.
When I'm pot committed, I want to get my chips in first, as I cannot fold.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri May 10, 2013, 12:23 AM
(#7)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Brilliant iFUcallUwinK!

You've done all 3 tasks and you'll get your first bonus in the next 24 hours, good job!

Step Two

Use your first buy-in to only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Post one hand that you had difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze it for you.

Please watch the following video and answer the question below.

List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?

Then study the Cash Game course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

So you have 3 things to do to earn your next bonus.

1) Play the 1/2 cent Real Money tables and post an interesting hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer.
2) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.
3) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 tasks complete and we will award you with your next buy-in.

Best of Luck!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri May 10, 2013, 02:18 PM
(#8)
Thanks for the analysis, it helps alot, if im pot committed in future and have the opportunity to get my chips in first i will do.

Old
Fri May 10, 2013, 02:24 PM
(#9)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Getting the chips in first puts the pressure on the opps to call and it's much easier to have that pressure on the opps instead of on us.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri May 10, 2013, 03:31 PM
(#10)
yes I agree. Would you recommend playing combo draws the same way from time to time as in the 66 example, if i had a flush and straight draw and the same action occured? And the same way with the nut flush draw? Just to balance it out so my oponents dont realize im only shoving sets?

Old
Fri May 10, 2013, 10:11 PM
(#11)
Hello,

I payed a 1/2 cent table and heres some hands I had trouble with below:

With this 1st hand I noticed that the button limper had been limping and calling raises every hand with any 2 cards by using the hand history feature. I decided to call as I was out of position and he would likely call a raise regardless. I flopped the nut flush draw, and lead out for a pot size bet as I didnt feel it woud be profitable simply check calling out of position hoping to hit. The big blind moves all in for 60bb. I felt he didnt have a set and likely has 1 pair, 2 pair or maybe even a worse flush draw. I called for a few reasons, firstly I have been playing alot of freeroll tournaments upto this point and this situation more often than not shows opponents holding top, middle, or bottom pair with a variety of kickers, or a flush draw. I not only had flush draw outs but backdoor straight outs, and the slim chance of both my overcards being live, hitting 2 pair, or the board pairing to counterfit my opponents hand. Also knowing if I hit my draw then I was guaranteed to win 100% of my oponents stack, but that probably isnt the best way of thinking about it. Heres the hand below:

With this 2nd hand my all in play was based purely on my opponent. Since before I sat down at the table he was posting blinds out of turn, raising and re-rasing, the majority of pots were between him and the player to his right, who also calls any 2 cards. I started the hand with 38bb, and as usual he raised to 10cents. I felt my hand was pretty strong against his range, but also if i flat called and missed the flop he would bet regardless. I first considered 3betting to 30cents but again i saw him just flat calling 3bets any 2cards to see a flop. I decided to shove as I likely have the best hand against him. I did have 5 players left to act behind me but they would need a monster hand to call an all in 3bet which don't come around every day. Unfortunately on this occasion my oponent had AK and I lost the pot. Im guessing he would of shoved if i 3bet, so would you say a 3bet fold is correct here or just a flat call and hope you hit a good flop and he hits a slight worse flop? Heres the hand below:

I have watched the bet sizing video and in answer to the question, I would say 3 reasons why a player would want to make a big bet would be to get value from very strong hands, to protect your hand against strong draws and to put pressure on your opponents.

I have also studied the cash game course but cannot yet access the quiz as I completed the mtt quiz recently, as part of the 3x scoop tickets promotion. I will attempt to access the cash game quiz tomorow.

Old
Sat May 11, 2013, 06:58 AM
(#12)
I have now also passed the cash game quiz.

Old
Sat May 11, 2013, 12:30 PM
(#13)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by iFUcallUwinK View Post
yes I agree. Would you recommend playing combo draws the same way from time to time as in the 66 example, if i had a flush and straight draw and the same action occured? And the same way with the nut flush draw? Just to balance it out so my oponents dont realize im only shoving sets?
It's not that you're only shoving sets... in this situation, you'd need to shove any hand you're willing to play.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat May 11, 2013, 12:57 PM
(#14)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi iFUcallUwinK! I'll take a look at these two hands.

1. With A6s in the SB facing a limp, I'd sometimes raise to try and get heads up with the limper, especially if he folds to a lot of c-bets, but if he's more stationy then there's no harm in just completing the blind and seeing if you can flop a draw to the nuts. Playing pots out of position without the initiative doesn't have a positive expectation, but against weak players you might be able to pick up some chips post-flop.
As played, you call and the BB checks. The flop gives you the nut FD and I like betting out as a semi-bluff. On a board like this, the button limper will have missed fairly often, but the BB can literally have ATC. So you can semi-bluff profitably, because sometimes you'll win the pot uncontested, but also you're building a pot for the times you make the flush or turn top pair. You potted it and the BB shoves in 60bb. You can't make a profitable call here, I'm afraid. If villain has one pair (such as 7x or an overpair like 88) then you have 45% equity (unless he has A7, in which case you're reverse dominated, and only have the flush outs). If villain has 2 pairs (even bottom two) you have about 34% equity.
Now look at the pot odds. If you call the additional $1.14, the final pot will be $2.46, so the equity you need to make a break even call is 114/246 = 46%.
It's quite close, but you're always getting it in bad here and - against villain's entire value-shoving range - you have much less than 46% equity, so it's best to fold.

2. With your reads and your short stack, I think shoving is fine, although I'd tend to avoid taking flips when you're trying to grow a small bankroll, as the variance can be pretty wild. You can't 3-bet and then fold to a shove, because a standard 3-bet would be about 32c, which is almost half your stack. Once you've put in one third of your stack, you are pot-committed. Shoving at least guarantees you see all 5 community cards if villain flips over a hand like 88. You ran into a hand near the top of villain's range this time, but often this guy with call it off with a hand like A7s, AJ or KQ, so you'd be making money against his range in the long run. Calling might be OK sometimes, but you'll miss the flop most of the time and this villain is bound to bet it, meaning you've lost another 1/7 of your stack. On the whole, I think shoving is the best play against this villain and with these stack sizes. Unlucky!

Hope this helps!
Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat May 11, 2013, 01:22 PM
(#15)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hello iFUcallUwinK,

Fantastic!

Your second Bankroll Builder bonus is on it's way to you, great job so far.

Watch this video that will help you on the cash game tables

There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving your 2nd bonus and you will automatically be credited with your 3rd bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your 2nd bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat May 11, 2013, 02:19 PM
(#16)
Thanks for the help arty, yes it helps a lot.

Cheers for the analysis. Will get working on building up my 2nd buy into a decent bankroll, keeping pot odds, avoiding taking flips, and getting my chips in first in with strong made hands in which i'm pot committed, as top priorities to work on.

Old
Sat May 11, 2013, 10:49 PM
(#17)
Bad news I lost my 2nd buy in. I'l post 3 main hands below, finding it hard to adjust from player reads of playing free roll tournaments to real money cash tables. I only made 2.83 fpp, so is there any other way to earn another buy in?

Here's some hands below:

Firstly with this hand I was only out of position to one caller but thought the flop likely hit them, should i have c-bet this flop and checked the turn if called, or wast correct to check fold in this spot:

Secondly I decided to limp with this hand on the button after 3 opponents limped in. 2 players checked the flop and 1 lead out. At this point i felt he may have a weak 10 and wants to protect his hand, so i decided to raise, as the early position limpers may have a hand like A4 or A5, or maybe want to call a small bet with and see if they hit, so i decided to raise as i felt I had the best hand. Seemed that the original raiser would raise with A10 preflop. I then got min re-raised, 15cents more to call after putting in 21cents. I decided to call as It may have looked to my opponent I have some sort of straight draw so he may have a weaker pair. From then on the hand went downhill by me calling all streets, even though 45 got there for a straight but my opponent ended up flopping a set. The only reason i called was because its so tough to flop a set i dont consider it until its too late, some opponents happily barrel with a weak top pair and as i have no hud software or playing history with any cash game players i cannot judge their tendencies. heres the hand below :

Thirdly my opponent raised utg plus one with Ace 9, and i called in the bb with KQ. I flopped top pair but as it was a wet flop i decided to donk lead intending to call a raise, on which i got called. The turn came an ace, so i decided to check and see what size bet my opponent made f he wanted to represent the ace, after he time banked for a while he bet into me for tripple the pot. I couldnt see what hands he was trying to get value from here as i obviously didnt like the ace on the turn so why bet 3x the pot. needless to say i fell for it, he floated the flop with the weak ace no draw, then bet tripple the pot where i paid him off thinking he had an underpair or J10, then overbet shoved the river.

heres the hand below:

I look forward to reading the analysis for these hands and hopefully i can starts adjusting my game from freeroll tourneys to real cash tables.

Last edited by iFUcallUwinK; Sun May 12, 2013 at 11:47 PM.. Reason: replied to wrong thread - copy and paste below

Old
Sun May 12, 2013, 11:13 AM
(#18)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi again iFUcallUwinK! Real money cash games are completely different to freerolls, and it can take a while to adjust, because there are fewer bingo players, bluffers, and just terribad villains. Developing patience and discipline is very important. Let's take a look at these three hands.

1. Your iso-raise with QQ is perfect, and it just sucks that you get two callers, one of whom has position. The flop is brutal. It's bad enough when the flop contains one overcard to your pair, but when there are two and the pot is multiway, you're in trouble. I play this hand the same way as you. Check-fold is the recommended course of action, because one of these guys is sure to have hit the A or K. If you were heads up in position, then you could check behind, because there are no bad turn cards, and you might be able to get value from worse (or you could fold if villain leads out).

2. Overlimping OTB is OK, as you might out-flop the limpers (who will typically have weak hands) and you might be able to steal an "orphan pot" with ATC if the action gets checked to you. As played, it's 6-handed on the flop, which is pretty crazy. You made top pair, but there's a bet in front of you. I don't like your raise. If you have the best hand, then you'll get value by calling down. You don't need to "protect" your hand. The only draw is the wheel gutshot. If another villain wants to call on the flop with a hand like A5, let them! They won't improve very often, as they only have 7 outs to beat you. When you raise, it's hard to get called by worse. Indeed, you value-own yourself. Raising the flop allows villain to play perfectly against you. He will fold all his bluffs and underpairs (e.g. 77) that were taking a stab at the pot, so you get no value from them, but he will continue (either with a call or a raise) with hand that crushes you.
2NL players will often limp in with small pairs, hoping to flop a set. If the first bettor has a set of 3s or 2s, he's loving it when you raise the flop, because you're building a pot for him when you're virtually drawing dead. His re-raise screams "I have a set", so you should be folding to this raise.
In future, when you're not sure if your hand is either way ahead (villain is bluffing) or way behind (villain has a set), be more inclined to just call. Don't bloat the pot unless you're pretty sure you can get called by worse. If no worse hands are calling, don't raise!
Also, in general, it's a mistake to play for stacks in a limped pot if you don't have a hand that is close to the nuts. Calling off your stack with one pair is definitely a mistake. "Don't go broke in a limped pot" is an easy way to remember this concept.

3. This is a very weird hand. I don't mind the call with KQ in the BB, because it's only a minraise, which usually indicates the villain is weak and has a marginal hand, like a medium pair, so you can out-flop or out-play him. The flop comes a QJ5 rainbow, so it's not particularly wet. Villain would need to have precisely KT or T9 to have an 8-out draw and this pot is heads up, so there's no need to donk out in order to protect your hand and get value. I'd be in check-calling mode. With KQ, I'm typically trying to win a small pot (unless I make the nut straight, top two, or a trips). I'd check, expecting villain to c-bet, which I'd call. If the turn is a blank, villain will usually give up if he has less than top pair, so you can lead small on the river to try and get a crying call from ace high or a random pair.
Donking out often means villain will fold all his junk, so you miss a street of value. If you have a value hand (and here you do), you get that value by allowing villain to c-bet his air.
As played, villain calls the donk-bet, so maybe he has a pair, or something like AJ or AK. (2NL villains love floating with overcards and gutshots). The turn card is an ugly scare card. The ace means villain either improved, or he's not putting another cent in the pot. You check, which is fine, and villain makes a huge overbet. While this looks bluffy, I tend to give 2NL players credit for a real hand when they overbet. I'd just fold here and write "Nice valuebet, lol" in the chatbox. Bad players will make bad plays like this often. They telegraph the strength of their hands, and miss a ton of value, because I don't pay them off. If they overplay one pair, average kicker, let them. Just don't pay them off!
Note that villain can definitely have KT for the nut straight here, as he had the right price to call on the flop. Calling off your stack with second pair is pretty spewy when villain is representing the nuts. When he shoves the river, you have to fold. It will be a huge drain on your bankroll to make hero calls with 2nd pair. Unless you have specific notes that say "Villain overbets with gutshots" or something like that, you should be folding here. Save your money for when you KNOW you have the best hand.

Hope this helps!
Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun May 12, 2013, 11:53 AM
(#19)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hello iFUcallUwinK,

Your third Bankroll Builder bonus is on it's way to you, great job so far.

There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving your 3rd bonus and you will automatically be credited with your 4th bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your 3rd bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun May 12, 2013, 12:28 PM
(#20)
Thanks for the analysis it helped alot. I will do my best with the 3rd buy in, I will play exactly as you've said and see how it goes. I will post any interesting hands i need help with. Thanks alot again.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com