Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Off-Topic Discussions /

Favourite Internet Radio Stations

Old
Favourite Internet Radio Stations - Thu May 09, 2013, 03:52 PM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2010
Much discussion has taken place here on the types and styles of music listened to by online poker players whilst they grind their games, but now I want to know where you are hearing stuff from - not from your own music collection, but from web based sources that can provide tailored music to anyones tastes.

As an old timer, from back in the day where the word 'wireless' had nothing to do with computers, but was the device you listened to music on - I am finding this new internet thingy a great source of both the card games and the music.

My current pokertime listening is coming, via the internet, from a Newark, New Jersey, USA radio station - WBGO.org - and it's proper jazz music.

I am often found at Edinburgh's Jazz Bar (Chambers Street - near the big museum) - but only about 20% of the music there is actually jazz - though I enjoy some of the eclectic mix of other stuff they have. - The UK has its own Jazz radio stations, (Jazz FM) and good Jazz shows on mixed music stations, but the WBGO - purely jazz - seems much more authentic, particularly so because of the various show hosts.

So - what is your music of choice - and more importantly - where do you source it ?

Ed

Old
Thu May 09, 2013, 04:00 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
I'll source mine from all over, mostly from CD's, then put them on my ipod/itunes.

Depending on my mood, I can be listening to a WIDE variety of music.... country, classic rock, jazz, 80's metal, classical... anything but hip-hop/rap... can't stand that crap!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu May 09, 2013, 04:25 PM
(#3)
Since: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
I'll source mine from all over, mostly from CD's, then put them on my ipod/itunes.

Depending on my mood, I can be listening to a WIDE variety of music.... country, classic rock, jazz, 80's metal, classical... anything but hip-hop/rap... can't stand that crap!

John (JWK24)
I don't have an ipod/mp3 player type thingy - ( I did have an original walkman for my cassettes, when I used to do daily commutes - and still have many of the cassettes but nothing to play them on) - mainly because nowadays I so rarely travel on any long trips where I might use a portable music player - so I am thinking more about places I can find interesting music off the net while I play my poker.

I do have a wide variety of music that I like - I'm just getting back into jazz, having been into it a lot in my late teens, (not quite back in the original jazz era - thanks for asking) influenced by my dad who was very much a fan of jazz, and who also got me into classical music - I suppose I like anything with either quality musicianship or some other quality like great lyrics or pure energy - so I can do some country/folk/metal/punk (and even some rap if it is good JWK). Was really into some germanic stuff in the nineteen-eighties, - thanks to a girlfriend from Hamburg (yes I went out with a hamburger) and have found bits and pieces of that on the web, but I am looking for the best web source for any given style that PSOers are into.

Main problem searching for specific stuff on the web is I never really bothered knowing the names of bands/songs - I do a pub quiz occasionally and they play intros to stuff and I go 'I know this one' - I just don't remember the artist's name or the song title - but hey - at least I remember it.

Ed

Old
Thu May 09, 2013, 06:11 PM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2011
"Music was my first love, and it will be my last."

I have pretty eclectic tastes, but I'd have to say that I tend toward non-mainstream stuff, primarily from the indie/alt rock and electro/techno genres. Basically, whatever British art college students have listened to since the 60s is my kind of thing. Most of my friends work in the music business, either as members of bands, or as designers, PRs, DJs etc. I'm a failed musician myself. :/

I have a massive collection of vinyl and CDs, but these days I'm listening to mp3s constantly. My playlist is mostly made of all the stuff you've never heard of that gets rave reviews on Pitchfork. A record of the last 250,000 (count 'em!) tracks I've listened to, can be found on my last.fm profile. The last.fm radio player is great when I'm away from my hard drive, as it selects tracks based on my previous "likes".

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu May 09, 2013, 06:18 PM
(#5)
Since: Feb 2011
BronzeStar
My Source: tunein.com
My choice: DI-Dupstep channel usually.

Can't comment on the jazz selections as I have not checked them out, but this site is really great.

Old
Thu May 09, 2013, 06:22 PM
(#6)
Since: Feb 2011
BronzeStar
I can see what Arty is listening to right now. That is a little creepy haha.

edit: To further the creepy I also see your name is Arthur. Do you mind if I keep referring to you as Arty or would you prefer Arthur?

Last edited by RockerguyAA; Thu May 09, 2013 at 06:25 PM..

Old
Thu May 09, 2013, 10:54 PM
(#7)
Since: Apr 2011
I listen to lot of online radio when playin poker mostly Kiwi broadcasting stations, like>
hauraki.co.nz/ & therock.net.nz/
I like most types music, I cant stand opera though lol, (even some classical style music I like "bumble Bee" etc)
I dont like all music though (like most modern day pop is crap IMO)there's good & bad in most types music IMO, my main types music i like is Blues Rock anything that i think is good,
like what ED said "I suppose I like anything with either quality musicianship or some other quality like great lyrics or pure energy "

I came across this site few years ago, that people may like
http://www.soundclick.com/
"SoundClick - the best free artist music community. Exclusive top stars and unsigned bands. Free member pages including unlimited free webspace, free MP3 ..."

it looks like good place to show ur music if ur upin coming musician/ singer etc (who needs the Old record companys any more aye, I can see why Old record companys getting worried with Internet, losing there grip/monopoly's on music industry!? $ (U just need PC Hardware/sofware etc & do self theses days) )

Old
Fri May 10, 2013, 12:05 AM
(#8)
Since: Jun 2010
ChromeStar
I listen to tropicalglen.com, all the oldies just like me, original music by original singers etc and ya some of it is hard to take , as it hasnt been all cleaned up ,it is what it is

2012 Double Bracelet Winner

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri May 10, 2013, 08:32 AM
(#9)
Since: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerguyAA View Post
Do you mind if I keep referring to you as Arty or would you prefer Arthur?
Arty please.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Jun 19, 2014, 06:20 PM
(#10)
Since: Mar 2012
For those who likes energy:

http://new.di.fm/electro

Also try their progressive channel.

Old
Fri Jun 20, 2014, 05:50 AM
(#11)
Since: May 2012
BronzeStar
My new favourite is
http://classactradio.com/

all request station where you can interact with the DJ's.
great chat-room and DJ Bigslick is an American that I play a lot of poker with.
It's a site that's mostly dedicated to online gamers at pokerstars or pogo.com
If you haven't tuned in before, I suggest Bigslick's show (Mon-Fri 9am-12pm est) (1am-4am NZ)
He's a barrel of laughs - you also can request songs a number of ways.
Tell them clarky227 sent ya.

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com