Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

25 NL - 6max Zoom: Value/Protection Bet with TPTK on river that completes FD?

Old
25 NL - 6max Zoom: Value/Protection Bet with TPTK on river that completes FD? - Fri May 10, 2013, 01:27 AM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2012
Hi,

only got 18 hands on the opponent, so pretty much readless. I probably checked the number of tables he played but cant remember now.

I think until river it is a pretty standard hand, but not sure if I should bet the river as well. I do get in this kind of spots quite a bit and I am always unsure if I should fire a third barrel.

I assigned a range to him with equilab for the river:

He might play his strong draws more aggressively or slowplay some sets but hard to assume correctly vs unknown. Against this range we have 46% equity. But does that mean we should check/fold? Main problem I see with check/fold is that he might bluff us of with his missed straight draws (TQs,T8s). The missed straight draws are 6 out of 25 combinations out of his range.

So how can I figure out the best river line here?

Old
Fri May 10, 2013, 12:40 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi bald,

As you say, it's pretty hard to figure as the best line depends on the villain type and with no reads, we are a bit lost.

My preferred lines are bet/fold or check/call. I would opt for check/call when I think I can't get 3 streets of value from worse anyway by betting, or when up against an aggro opponent who is capable of turning a showdown value hand into a bluff and raising a bet, or using the "obvious draw" (hearts) to bluff busted straights. Especially on this depth of money as if we bet the river he will have a nice stack size behind to bluff raise us, and we really don't want to call off this deep with 1 pair and no solid read.

No reads, I will generally bet/fold. He did call big flop and turn bets, so there could be a lot of J's in his range... I doubt a strong player will call us down for 3 streets with QJ readless but a bad player won't even think about folding top pair. So I like about $7.50-$8 and fold to a jam, but no problem with check-calling either on this depth of money as played.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com