Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

25NL 6-Max Sqz Pot Play

Old
25NL 6-Max Sqz Pot Play - Sat May 11, 2013, 07:31 AM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2012
V2's 29/23, AF 2.9 over 560 hands. CO Stl: 42%(79), F3B%: 55%(22), FSqz(R): 100%(4), 4bet%: 13.6%(22)Flop FCB: 39%(18), Flop FCB(3B): 17%(6), Turn FCB: 40%(6)

V4's 71/29, AF 1.2 over 59 hands. F3B: 0%(4)

These are my chain of thoughts, pls help me rectify any leaks thanks!!

PF: Since we have a LAG at the CO while SB is a LP fish, is it correct to squeeze for value and initiative with AJo? They can call down with weaker hands.

Flop: SPR is 2.5 and 3 respectively. We have TPGK so I made a commitment decision to stack them off. So we cbet. V2 calls, put him on Ax, JJ, TT.

Turn: Since we made the decision earlier, decided to put him all-in. Shoving looks strong so I bet $12 and let him in put the rest. Maybe a better line will be check-raising? But I don't know if he'll bet non-Aces and turned flush draws.

So the main points lie in 1) squeezing AJo, 2) flopping TP without the best kicker (not thrilled about it though), SPR 2.5 and be committed, 3) turned nut flush draw, good enough to justify all-in. Should we have done anything differently?

Old
Sat May 11, 2013, 11:28 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi TANW,

I would defend preflop with a call here. The opener, while clearly wide based on his CO Steal, is pretty active facing 3b's. It's easier to see this if we take the %'s and translate them to trials. He's faced 3b's 22 times, 12 times he's called, and 3 times he's 4-bet it. So he's defended his opens 15/22 times so far, and he has position on us. AJo isn't really strong enough to face this in a bloated pot without position. I would actually prefer to 3b him from the button... but with him having the positional advantage we are sort of setting ourselves up to be owned by this guy over the long run if we 3b as we can't really continue vs a 4b and we'll be fairly lost post flop much of the time when he calls our 3b.

Also, the SB has hugely fishy stats over the 59 hands we have, if we 3b there's always a chance he could fold (either to a 4b by V2 or directly), but he can't fold if we call and his presence adds a lot of value to our call because parts of his super wide calling range include all the hands we dominate, i.e. weaker aces and broadway cards. When we hit the flop and he hits it as well, we will usually have him in a very bad equity situation where he won't be capable of finding folds.

If we call and miss the flop, we'll have to check/fold mostly. It's fine. The 2bb investment we lose in these cases will more than be made up for by the times we do flop the best hand as we have 2 potential action givers for post flop play.

BTW I typed all that before advancing the action in the video and seeing you 3b... what happens after your 3b is exactly what I'm talking about. You made a large 3b sizing and both called, not terribly surprising. If there was no ace or jack, now what? Are you check/folding? Most players feel compelled to c-bet after 3-betting pre, but c-betting air against these 2 is basically lighting money on fire. I think we are looking to make hands and then take them to value town.

Now in the hand we do hit the ace, with a low stack to pot ratio we've created of 2.5 against 2 bad players, we are probably committed to playing for stacks, but if we c-bet and get raised do we like that spot? I'm not fist pumping. I like to fist pump before getting stacks in whenever possible. So even when we hit our hand in a 3b bloated pot it's not the most exciting spot!

Quote:
Flop: SPR is 2.5 and 3 respectively. We have TPGK so I made a commitment decision to stack them off. So we cbet.
There is only 1 SPR, 2.4 (you are the effective stack with both players). I agree on committing at this point and also betting, both these players will call with an ace or any draw, and maybe just a 9. V2 has only folded to c-bets 1/6 times so far so he may float very wide.

Turn I like betting again as I don't want to risk a free card to a weaker ace which might not pay me on a spade river card. I think your bet sizing is bigger than I prefer... you said you bet 12 and let him put in the rest, but look at your sizing relative to your stack... there is no room to fold so you make it impossible to put the rest in with weak hands or bluffs, he basically has to be pretty strong to continue now (bad player, maybe he will still put it in with weak aces or KQ, particularly with the Ks, but our line all the way with this turn sizing looks super strong). You have $17 left, if you bet like $6 it looks "weak" and will definitely get called lighter and also can induce a bluff shove (or semi-bluff with the Ks which would be awesome for us as he can actually semi-bluff shove when drawing dead). And the weaker hands that call it, will have a hard time folding the rest on the river when you bet $11 into a pot of $31.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun May 12, 2013, 01:42 AM
(#3)
Since: Mar 2012
Dave thanks for the long analysis here! Didn't realise I was the shortest in the pot, haha I was the effective stack.

Quote:
we are probably committed to playing for stacks, but if we c-bet and get raised do we like that spot? I'm not fist pumping. I like to fist pump before getting stacks in whenever possible.
Very true! So, regarding squeezing, what hands are strong enough to do so against these Villain types then? Not including premiums. AQo, TT, JJ strong enough?

Agree I should have bet small OTT, was too hasty to get stacks in...

As played, we went all in, missed and V2 showed up with AKo, which brought me back to the topic of squeezing.

Old
Sun May 12, 2013, 02:12 AM
(#4)
Since: Jan 2012
Very helpful hand TANW and analysis Dave! I tend to take the same line you did TANW and trying to understand when calling pf is better.

Good Stuff, thanks!

Roland GTX

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com