Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Big Bang - AK UTG 3 players until ITM

Old
Big Bang - AK UTG 3 players until ITM - Sat May 11, 2013, 05:32 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2011

I think this was a good fold, but am interested in feedback. I'm 58 of 66 at this point and 64 is the bubble.

My BR is pretty low and a min cash here allows me to start playing some SNG's again, which should really help out the BR. I think if I have a healthy BR I'm shoving, but given that a min cash ($22) is a major cash boast, I'm folding and hoping to hang on for the bubble.

Given all this, I found it a really difficult decision. My time bank was 20 seconds before this hand and I think I was still debating this in my head after 15 of those elapsed.

Old
Sat May 11, 2013, 06:16 PM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
You might fold it on the bubble of a satelite,but on regular tournament folding this is huge mistake

Old
Sat May 11, 2013, 06:42 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Saturnation!

Here's the question... how much does a min-cash in this mean to your BR?

If it's a sizable amount, then I could fold here, BUT, if this is a tourney that I'm playing to win... then I won't care about missing out on a min-cash and I'd be shoving here everytime.

The key is, am I playing to win, or playing to cash? Unless a min-cash is a very large gain to my bankroll, I'm going for the win.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat May 11, 2013, 07:53 PM
(#4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
Hi Saturnation!

Here's the question... how much does a min-cash in this mean to your BR?

If it's a sizable amount, then I could fold here, BUT, if this is a tourney that I'm playing to win... then I won't care about missing out on a min-cash and I'd be shoving here everytime.

The key is, am I playing to win, or playing to cash? Unless a min-cash is a very large gain to my bankroll, I'm going for the win.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)
Thanks Johh, that helps a bit.

Min cashing here increased my BR roughly 300%. To me, that's sizeable. Like I said, it was a tough decision. The hardest part of the decision was what was my chances of min-ing if I did fold. It was a bit of a sweat in the in... :/

As it was, bubble bursts 5 hands later and I'm busto the very next hand to min cash!

Last edited by Saturnation; Sat May 11, 2013 at 07:56 PM.. Reason: Clarity

Old
Sat May 11, 2013, 10:06 PM
(#5)
Since: Jul 2011
Hi Saturn
That definitely was a nice bankroll booster then
Was sweating right along with you, Happy and others.
I was slashing the tires on that Dealer Button hehe.....I folded JJ in MP when near bubble, just praying to min cash as well and also hoping one empty seat would fill on our table , and it did. Weeeeeeeeeee finished 62nd hehe.
$22 was a nice bankroll booster 4 sure
Congrats Saturn! Well done on the slow "ORBITING" SATURN, hehe cheezy humour, sorry had to

Old
Sun May 12, 2013, 02:39 AM
(#6)
Since: Jan 2012
300%! Wow, that is a bankroll boost! Congratulations

I compeletely agree with John. Cardwize you had a shoving hand that you have to play if you want to win the tourney, but if your primary goal was to cash then folding is great. There is no guarantee that your AK will win the hand. And you did cash

Roland

Old
hello all - Sun May 12, 2013, 03:12 AM
(#7)
Since: Nov 2012
i first time play big bang and 31 place. I slow play near to itm. I had kk, 2 oppents all in. 70 player left. badbeat 2 pair beat kk. i had 900 chips. big blind on me. AzartOleg covered me all in but one player had kk and he push all in, AzartOleg lost half ships and i won two pair. Tnx AzartOleg and God.

Yesterday i play 100 ticket add rebuy tourney freeroll and win entry.

Old
Sun May 12, 2013, 12:56 PM
(#8)
BronzeStar
It so often seems to be the case, that as the bubble approaches and we're short, we'll inevitably get dealt some temptation like AK that puts us in the bind of having to decide whether our chances of making ITM'll be better with a fold or a push.

Saturnation - so thrilled for you that you were able to make ITM and that it's provided such a huge boost to your bankroll ... you sure earned it with yet *another* difficult decision too We were at the same table early on, and there were quite a few of those. And it was 4am Australia time, so ... no easy feat trying to figure out how best to play when it's the middle of the night I would imagine

And big congrats to Stevopick, HAPPYSAP and everybody else too - I got to play with Stevopick last month and did awesome when faced with lot of tricky spots of his own. Am sure it was the same this month ... hopefully u can three-peat in June!!

This sounds so cliche, but even though I haven't been cashing too much in these Big Bang tourneys (y'all are so super good!!), I've been having a blast just from having the chance to catch up with so many people from PSO at the tables. Arty and Roland and I have been fighting like brother and brother and sister lately, so it was great to run into them - and when I went got knocked out by a 3-outer, and they both got knocked out by 2-outers ... like if that had to happen (although I wish it hadn't to any of us), it was comforting to have it happen to all of us at the same time in some odd way

Just some random thoughts during lunch break Seems like these Big Bang tickets are getting harder to come by, but hopefully we can all manage to swing one and have another go at things next month

Old
Mon May 13, 2013, 12:33 AM
(#9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevopick View Post
Hi Saturn
That definitely was a nice bankroll booster then
Was sweating right along with you, Happy and others.
I was slashing the tires on that Dealer Button hehe.....I folded JJ in MP when near bubble, just praying to min cash as well and also hoping one empty seat would fill on our table , and it did. Weeeeeeeeeee finished 62nd hehe.
$22 was a nice bankroll booster 4 sure
Congrats Saturn! Well done on the slow "ORBITING" SATURN, hehe cheezy humour, sorry had to
The sweat was more enjoyable for the company, especially with CanuckMonkey keeping us all up to date. I would have had all the other 7 tables up watching all the action without his blow by blow. Of course it also helped that the bubbler was 2-3 seats in front of me.

Fold JJ in MP would have been a tough call. AA and KK I'm going with in any position. QQ probably as well. So JJ would have been a tougher decision than mine. At least with JJ you're starting out with a made hand and in MP you don't have that many to get through. You'd be hoping to pick up the blinds, but maybe not too disappointed to get one caller as well? I'm just glad I didn't have to make that one...

Yes, Saturn can orbit quite slowly! LOL BTW, don't ever stop with that humour, I love it!

Old
Mon May 13, 2013, 12:44 AM
(#10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland GTX View Post
300%! Wow, that is a bankroll boost! Congratulations

I compeletely agree with John. Cardwize you had a shoving hand that you have to play if you want to win the tourney, but if your primary goal was to cash then folding is great. There is no guarantee that your AK will win the hand. And you did cash

Roland
I can't stop thinking about the position I was in...

On one hand, if I had bought into the tournament and was practicing proper BR management, then my buy-in would be around 2% of my BR, so a min cash really isn't anything special. In that scenario, it's a clear shove, basically a no-brainer and the decision is made as soon as I see my cards. If I'd bought into a tournament where a min-cash is that big of a boast to my BR, then I'm not practicing proper BR management.

So, I think this freeroll is sort of a special exception to shoving in that positon? I'm really not sure. I suspect I'll be mulling over this one for some time...

Old
Mon May 13, 2013, 12:52 AM
(#11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustySam View Post
It so often seems to be the case, that as the bubble approaches and we're short, we'll inevitably get dealt some temptation like AK that puts us in the bind of having to decide whether our chances of making ITM'll be better with a fold or a push.

Saturnation - so thrilled for you that you were able to make ITM and that it's provided such a huge boost to your bankroll ... you sure earned it with yet *another* difficult decision too We were at the same table early on, and there were quite a few of those. And it was 4am Australia time, so ... no easy feat trying to figure out how best to play when it's the middle of the night I would imagine

And big congrats to Stevopick, HAPPYSAP and everybody else too - I got to play with Stevopick last month and did awesome when faced with lot of tricky spots of his own. Am sure it was the same this month ... hopefully u can three-peat in June!!

This sounds so cliche, but even though I haven't been cashing too much in these Big Bang tourneys (y'all are so super good!!), I've been having a blast just from having the chance to catch up with so many people from PSO at the tables. Arty and Roland and I have been fighting like brother and brother and sister lately, so it was great to run into them - and when I went got knocked out by a 3-outer, and they both got knocked out by 2-outers ... like if that had to happen (although I wish it hadn't to any of us), it was comforting to have it happen to all of us at the same time in some odd way

Just some random thoughts during lunch break Seems like these Big Bang tickets are getting harder to come by, but hopefully we can all manage to swing one and have another go at things next month
Like I said before, 100% of the time I'm shoving in that position, but this was that special case when I felt that pushing was actually the wrong decision.

Thanks for the kind words Trusty, but the previous decisions weren't all that difficult. Playing the guitar is difficult, but if you practice doing the same thing over and over, when it comes time to execute, it's easier than before the practice. All the PSO training and time putting the training into action has helped to make those previously tough decisions easier. This decision was tough, because I felt like the proper decision in this situation went against everything I had been taught and practiced. If anyone told me they folded AK UTG when short in a tourney, I'd immediately think that was a very bad decision. Which lead me to post the hand here...

It was good to see the others cash as well. A really nice sense of community with the min-cashing and the railing.

Old
Mon May 13, 2013, 05:59 AM
(#12)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnation View Post
I can't stop thinking about the position I was in...

On one hand, if I had bought into the tournament and was practicing proper BR management, then my buy-in would be around 2% of my BR, so a min cash really isn't anything special. In that scenario, it's a clear shove, basically a no-brainer and the decision is made as soon as I see my cards. If I'd bought into a tournament where a min-cash is that big of a boast to my BR, then I'm not practicing proper BR management.

So, I think this freeroll is sort of a special exception to shoving in that positon? I'm really not sure. I suspect I'll be mulling over this one for some time...
A couple of months ago, I could swear somebody made a post about how just prior to the bubble everybody had a stack less than 10bbs, except for something like 10 people? Now I can't find it, but based on last month, that sounds about right - it kind of seemed like people were using anything down to 2bb's as the push-fold threshold fairly early on before ITM ... is that what other people have been finding? If so, then folding 2bb's *right* immediately before ITM's maybe not that much of a stretch

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com