Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

2NL 6-Max Zoom: Over Pair vs 3 Barrels

Old
2NL 6-Max Zoom: Over Pair vs 3 Barrels - Sun May 12, 2013, 04:26 AM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2012
Zoom so villain is an unknown.

Called the Isolation Raise hoping to go 3 way with the 250bb stacked limper.

I think my flop and turn calls were ok.

OTT I had the villein ranged on either an over card hand, over pair or air. OTR the flush and straight draws become possible.

How likely is it that my hand is the best hand and is it worth looking up?

Last edited by Low Rated; Sun May 12, 2013 at 04:27 AM.. Reason: Typo ~

Old
Sun May 12, 2013, 10:28 AM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2011
I think you're basically never good on the river, and I'd probably have folded on the turn, to be honest.

The call on the flop is fine, as villain is just making a standard c-bet. On the turn, he's probably only barrelling with flush draws and made hands. The only hands you're beating on the turn are 88 and 7x, but there aren't many 7x hands that would have iso-raised pre-flop. (77 seems like the only one to me).
So if you're only beating flush draws and 88 on the turn, then the river card kills you, because the means the flush and 88 got there.
You've got a bluff catcher, but unless I'm missing something obvious (morning coffee hasn't kicked in yet!), there aren't any bluffs in villain's range. I think his river bet is a value-shove. He'll have an overpair, a boat, or the nut flush almost always. 99 is no good here.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun May 12, 2013, 10:31 AM
(#3)
Since: Nov 2011
Hey Low Rated

I think this is a nice river to get away from the third barrel. Your preflop play was correct and your flop and turn calls were justified.

On the turn for example, we can call getting a nice enough price versus this player's turn betting range. We should think that he is semi-bluffing enough of the time with flush draws, two overs, and even betting worse made hands for value. I think that changes on the river a little bit. Some of his semi-bluffs got there, some of his worse made hands got better than yours, and his bluffing frequency with AJ-AK hands is probably pretty low, particularly relative to his bluff frequency with those hands on the turn.

Final point would be a little criticism (can't be all praise :P) is that just because the player is playing Zoom he is therefore unknown. Why would that be?

Old
Sun May 12, 2013, 04:46 PM
(#4)
Since: Mar 2012
Thanks for the analysis guys .

Quote:
You've got a bluff catcher, but unless I'm missing something obvious (morning coffee hasn't kicked in yet!), there aren't any bluffs in villain's range. I think his river bet is a value-shove. He'll have an overpair, a boat, or the nut flush almost always. 99 is no good here.
I have to agree with you there, didn't think it was a good idea to continue.

Quote:
Final point would be a little criticism (can't be all praise :P) is that just because the player is playing Zoom he is therefore unknown. Why would that be?
No worries I'm looking for constructive criticism , I probably worded that one badly. I should have just said I didn't have any previous history w/ this villain since I do occasionally run into other regs and some fish from normal tables along with past Zoom villains.

Last edited by Low Rated; Sun May 12, 2013 at 04:48 PM.. Reason: Quote ~

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com