Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

PS Open Skill League: AA & limpers

Old
PS Open Skill League: AA & limpers - Sun May 12, 2013, 08:20 AM
(#1)
Since: May 2013
Very early in the tournament (Level 1, blinds 40/20), one player from early position enters the pot with a minimum raise (80) and three limpers call. I reraise on the button to 320 preflop and get two callers.

The flop shows [8h 4h 7d] and the original raiser bets 320. The other villain calls and I go all in with my 1240 chips.

I'm not sure if that was the best play. Did I raise too little preflop? Did I play too aggreesively post flop? I suspect I gave too many players too good odds to call preflop. This might have been expecially bad, knowing that it was a freeroll with lots of loose playing in the beginning.

Old
Sun May 12, 2013, 09:11 AM
(#2)
Since: Mar 2012
In my opinion, early in the open league it is either fold or shove and cross your fingers. Normal bet sizing does not apply. As for the other two, A9s is probably never folding in these and J9o maybe, maybe not. Early in the open league, you are more likely to get multiple callers where even AA will not stand up, it is better to wait till later on when you will get more folds.

Old
Sun May 12, 2013, 10:48 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi raccy!

With AA, I get a min-raise then 3 calls of the raise. I'm definitely going to 3-bet here and the key is the sizing of it. My standard 3-bet size is to between 3X the previous bet (240) and a pot-sized raise (460). With multiple opps already calling a raise, I'm going for the upper end of this range and will raise to 460.

I get two calls of my raise and see a flop with a heart flush draw, straight draw and possible made straight. I get an opp that now makes a very small bet in relation to the pot (looks like they're trying to price in a flush draw) and a call of it. I absolutely need to raise here and once again, the sizing is the key, as I want to do whatever I can to price out the flush draw. My normal raise here would be a 2/3 pot raise (1533 chips) but I don't have that much, so the best I can hope for is to shove and hope that both opps don't stay.

If I'm ever going to go out of a league game early, it's going to be holding AA, KK or maybe QQ. When I get premium hands, I need to play them aggressively in order to try to accumulate chips.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com