Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

5nl AK OOP

Old
5nl AK OOP - Mon May 13, 2013, 03:29 AM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2012
Turn x/shove too spewy on this hand? Not sure how I would've done it differently though, villain can have 22/44 here sometimes and when he raises flop, couldn't think of any other hands which I beat. Also if we do b/c in this spot, are we folding to most turn cards?

PokerStars - $0.05 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 4 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

Hero (SB): $5.01
BB: $7.00 (VPIP: 28.57, PFR: 14.29, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 15)
CO: $1.59 (VPIP: 18.24, PFR: 18.34, 3Bet Preflop: 5.00, Hands: 176)
BTN: $4.40 (VPIP: 63.16, PFR: 31.58, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 20)

Preflop: Hero is SB with ,
2 folds, Hero bets $0.15, BB calls $0.10

Flop: ($0.30) , , (2 players)
Hero bets $0.20, BB raises to $0.73, Hero calls $0.53

Turn: ($1.76) (2 players)
Hero checks, BB bets $1.31, Hero raises to $4.13 (All-In)

Last edited by cheesyfish; Mon May 13, 2013 at 03:46 AM..

Old
Mon May 13, 2013, 01:28 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi cheesy,

I actually think check/calling the turn is better. I mean I feel very good about having the best hand (if he's got a boat, nh), but the best way to maximize value is not to check-shove. Consider his range in this spot. It's blind v blind so we can expect to get defended and played back at looser (it's the one spot where people tend to lose their minds more than any other). So when he raises our flop c-bet on a Q42 rainbow board, his range consists of:

Monsters - Very few combos of these, basically just 44 and 22. It doesn't matter how we play, we are getting stacks in on either the turn or river here.

Qx - We are going to win against most of these obviously. Again I suggest it doesn't matter what we do on the turn, we are getting stacks in either now or on the river.

Pairs - stuff like 55, A4, etc. If we check-shove we let him off the hook with these hands. If we just call however, we can extract more value on the river.

Bluffs - Blind v blind we would expect at least some bluffs present. Again check-shoving lets him off the hook, but calling keeps those bluffs in.

I prefer to call (which puts 4.38 in the pot and leaves us 2.82 behind), then lead river really small like $1. This gives him a compelling price to call with showdown value hands like A4 (which will often check behind if we check the river and show down free), as well as leaves him room to think he has some fold equity on a bluff shove as our bet looks like a cheap steal or a blocker bet. The nice thing is a hand like QJ won't be intimidated by this bet and may well shove thinking it's good so we will often still get full stack value from the dominated Q's.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed May 15, 2013, 05:59 AM
(#3)
Since: Dec 2012
ty Lango, solid advice. got it in on turn, he showed up with 4s full, and I spiked an A on the river.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com