Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

Bankroll Builder

Old
Bankroll Builder - Mon May 13, 2013, 05:12 AM
(#1)
Since: May 2013
Sign me up

Old
Mon May 13, 2013, 06:49 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHeadl1ner View Post
Sign me up
Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Be sure to read THIS just to be be sure of exactly what's on offer with the Bankroll Builder promotion.

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion. Please check back this time tomorrow!

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschoolonline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon May 13, 2013, 12:05 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
Hi TheHeadl1ner,

You are eligible for the Bankroll Builder promotion, good job!
NB: Bookmark this page so that you'll find it easily in the future

First Step

Watch the following video and pay special attention to the tips on retrieving and saving your hand history from PokerStars. This will be important for the rest of your promotional journey.

After wacthing this please play some PLAY MONEY FULL-RING (9-Handed) tables at PokerStars and using the Hand Replayer post a hand here in this thread that you have questions about.
Here is a video on how to use the hand replayer.

Then when you have that done please have a go at the Poker Basics Course and pass the quiz at the end of the course.
So you have 3 steps to do to begin with and when you have all 3 done we will award you with your first bonus.

1) Watch the 'Getting Started' video
2) Post a 'PLAY MONEY' hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer
3) Pass the Poker Basic course.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 steps completed.

Best of Luck!

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue May 14, 2013, 03:10 AM
(#4)
Here's a hand:

I actually have 2 questions

1.Should I have just shoved pre-flop?
2.I feel like I got very lucky to catch the river... what's the right play when you miss the flop with a big hand like AK?

p.s.

I've already passed all the quizzes

Old
Tue May 14, 2013, 02:51 PM
(#5)
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.
He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue May 14, 2013, 03:37 PM
(#6)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi TheHeadl1ner!

With AK from the SB, I get two limps, a min-raise and then a call of the min-raise. I'm going to make a 3-bet here and the key is the size of it. My standard 3-bet range is to between 3X the previous bet (12) and a pot-sized raise (19). With someone already calling a raise, I will go for the top end of this range and raise to 19 chips.
I then get min 4-bet and 4 calls of it. I'm going to call here and see the flop, but I need to be extremely cautious now, especially since I'm out of position.
AK is not strong enough to 5-bet with and it would need to be at least a raise to 175, which I'm not doing without a made hand. However, a raise to 175 is over 1/3 my remaining stack, so I can't raise... I'd need to shove, which I do not want to do without a made hand. If I had AA or KK, I'd shove, but not with a lesser hand.

With that many chips in the pot and basically nothing left in front of me, I can NEVER fold here, so I might as well just shove the flop and hope for an A or K. I do NOT like doing this, but I'm pot-committed.

If I just called the preflop raise to 28, then I can easily check/fold the flop if someone wants to shove.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue May 14, 2013, 06:40 PM
(#7)
Excellent!

You've done all 3 tasks and you'll get your first bonus in the next 24 hours, good job!

Step Two

Use your first buy-in to only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Post one hand that you had difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze it for you.
Please watch the following video and answer the question below.

List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?

Then study the Cash Game Course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

So you have 3 things to do to earn your next bonus.

1) Play the 1/2 cent Real Money tables and post an interesting hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer.
2) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.
3) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 tasks complete and we will award you with your next buy-in.

Best of Luck!

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed May 15, 2013, 02:32 AM
(#8)
Passed the quiz

Answers:

1.Bluff
2.Value bet
3.Protection against draws

Hand:

I had a few interesting ones - a couple of successful bluffs, couple of fairly big pots (1 won, 1 lost) but I decided to share the one where it all came crashing down

Here I figured that AK, AA or KK would've re-raised me pre-flop, so I felt certain I was ahead when I hit my king
Unfortunately I didn't even consider the possibility of a flopped set
I think I got overconfident and reckless.. perhaps I should've taken the hint from that re-raise on the flop?

p.s.

Thanks, JWK24

Last edited by TheHeadl1ner; Wed May 15, 2013 at 02:53 AM..

Old
Wed May 15, 2013, 04:52 PM
(#9)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi TheHeadl1ner! I'll take a look at this hand. From my first quick look, it seems you made a mistake every time you had a decision to make, but let's look a little deeper.

You're in early position with KJ offsuit. This is the archetypal "trouble hand", because it makes top pair fairly often, but is dominated by AK, AJ and KQ, as well as the big pairs. It's the kind of hand that wins small pots and loses big ones. A further problem with this hand is your position at the table. When you raise here, all 8 villains still have live cards. It's very likely that at least one, if not several, have a better hand than yours. Since it's neither fun nor profitable to play "trouble hands" out of position, I'd be folding this hand in this seat 100% of the time. I've written more about the importance of position, and which hands you can play in each seat on my blog.
As played, you're called by the player in the big blind, so you're actually last to act on the flop. It comes K76 with a flush draw, so it seems like a pretty good flop for you, but how are you going to get paid? Villain won't have any worse kings in his range, but he could have a set or two pairs. About the only hands you beat are underpairs like 99/88 and flush/straight draws. Somewhat oddly, villain doesn't check to the last raiser (you). He leads out with a donkbet. Leading out tends to represent a very strong hand or a very weak hand or draw. The best play for you here is to just call. If villain has a worse hand or a draw, then he is (semi-)bluffing. You'll get value for your hand by calling and letting him bluff again on later streets. The problem with raising the flop, is that it allows villain to play perfectly against you. He will fold all his bluffs and draws, so you don't get any more chips from him, and will continue (usually with a re-raise) with his monster hands (2pr, sets). This phenomenon is called "value-owning" or "value-cutting" yourself. You're bloating the pot, when you're only getting action from hands that beat you.
You should definitely fold to the re-re-raise (3-bet), because villain is never making this play with KT or worse. The worst hand he's getting all in with here is AK, and that's a huge favourite to beat you.
Villain flips over a set, so you're in even worse shape. You put all your money in when you were virtually drawing dead. We make money from our opponents mistakes, but your play allowed villain to play perfectly. He could re-raise because he was almost certain he had the best hand and that you would stack off with worse. You kept raising when villain was never calling with worse.
You'll save and win a lot of money in future if you think more carefully about why you are betting and raising. If your bet cannot be called by worse, then it's not a good idea to make the bet. In spots where you're either way ahead or way behind, it's better to try and keep the pot small, so you lose the minimum when you're behind. You can do this by checking in position when you get the opportunity, or by just calling when a villain bets into you. Don't bloat the pot unless you're very sure you have the best hand. Be especially careful when you have one pair, because it's generally not a good idea to get all your money in with one pair, especially if you don't have the best kicker too. Villains will usually have you crushed if you get all in with one pair. As a final reminder, you'd never even be in this situation if you'd made the standard play pre-flop and folded your hand. Like I said, KJ is a "trouble hand". You experienced the kind of trouble I meant in this pot, so I hope you've learned to be more careful in future.

Better luck with the next stage of the promo!
Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed May 15, 2013, 08:23 PM
(#10)
Hi TheHeadl1ner,

Fantastic!

Your next Bankroll Builder bonus is on it's way to you, great job so far.

Watch this video that will help you on the cash game tables

There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving this bonus and you will automatically be credited with the next bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your this bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

Joss

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri May 17, 2013, 08:48 AM
(#11)
Thanks for the detailed analysis, Arty
And thanks for the bonus

Mission accomplished
Points before - 1.52
Points after - 13.34

What's next?

Old
Fri May 17, 2013, 12:56 PM
(#12)
Hi TheHeadl1ner,

Your original 1.52 VPPs are registering, but the next is not. Not surprising since it can take 48 -72 hours to record in our system. When 10 VPPs are showing in the system, your next bonus will be released automatically.

Thanks for the heads up.
Good luck at the tables

Joss

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri May 17, 2013, 02:26 PM
(#13)
Ok, cool
Let me know when it's time for the next mission

Old
Sun May 19, 2013, 05:09 AM
(#14)
I got the bonus, is there a next step?

Old
Sun May 19, 2013, 11:56 AM
(#15)
Congratulations!

As you've earned enough VPP's we have awarded you with all your Bankroll Builder buy-ins and you have successfully completed the promotion, good job!
You are always welcome to post any troublesome hands in the hand analysis forums in the Poker Education section.

Also it is a good idea to review some of the content on Bankroll Management at this point.

Keep in touch with us and let us know how your poker journey continues.

Joss

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed May 22, 2013, 01:49 AM
(#16)
Ok, thanks for everything

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com