Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Challenges & Battleground & Member Blogs /

Privilege Freeroll Challenge

Old
Privilege Freeroll Challenge - Mon May 13, 2013, 10:23 AM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2011
My bankroll, while not desperate, took a hit when I withdrew to buy myself a new monitor. I've been getting beat up playing elsewhere so I thought I'd replenish my Pokerstars funds and play some risk free poker.

Some time ago Ed done this challenge (how did he end up?) so lets see if I can win anything from these $1k tournaments. I won't be able to play every tournament but I'll try and play as many as I can over the next 30 days.

Playing my first as we speak, there are many shovetard whales, pushing all in for 30 chips. Ante's have kicked in early which is a disadvantage to me.

Any thoughts on strategy? I've rocked up and hope for a double up. The one good hand I've already had JJ only paid me a few hundred chips.

Final total: $1.81

This challenge is now finished, to see what I'm doing with this $1.81 then go to this thread.

Last edited by Ovalman; Thu Jun 13, 2013 at 03:54 PM.. Reason: Updated running total

Old
Mon May 13, 2013, 10:40 AM
(#2)

What can you do? This was only my 2nd hand after the JJ. Someone was all in pre flop 70% every time. Villian was 70% VPiP and 20% PFR. Try again later.

Last edited by Ovalman; Mon May 13, 2013 at 10:41 AM.. Reason: posted wronh hand history

Old
Mon May 13, 2013, 05:31 PM
(#3)
1190th for 45c in my 2nd game. Exit hand was 88 v KK v AKs, shoved for 7 BBs so really no choice.

Damage done in this hand:

Villian was very tight but then again, so was I. He did however have a very high steal rate. I've seen these types before, they become push bots when the blinds get high. Their usually very aggressive whether they hit the flop or not. I think I should have 3 bet him pre flop although KTs isn't a really strong hand. If villian had an Ax type hand or a pocket pair I think he's reshoving over me. Hate my play on the flop here. I counted 9 outs (not 10) for my flush draw so pushing here I'm not in good shape.

My read was right on this player but my play against him was not. I rebuilt my stack but the blinds got the better of me.

Good start.

BTW these freerolls are available to Chrome Star players, you have to purchase a free day pass in the Store but heck it's free money.

Old
Mon May 13, 2013, 05:52 PM
(#4)
Since: Jul 2011
BronzeStar
gl man one tip first 2 hours allot of shoving, after that youll find allot of really tight players take advantage of them since this is almost a turbo with pretty big antes open up your range a litle after the blinds hit 750-1500

Triple Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon May 13, 2013, 06:20 PM
(#5)
Thanks Adohole, only noticed the Ante's kick in straight away. As you say there's quite a few maniacs in the first stages. I noticed in both games there were 1,000 players out in the first 5 minutes. I'll just have to rock up and wait for spots. I hate playing pre flop shoves early in a game, there's no skill, just what hands you pick but both games I've played have been like this.

I've mainly been away from Stars for over a month but I played a $1.50 Limit STT again and won it.

Good to be back

Old
Tue May 14, 2013, 05:45 PM
(#6)
Only the 8pm game for me tonight, 1265th for 42c. Usual junk hand calls my 10BB shove and hits.

Old
Tue May 14, 2013, 06:01 PM
(#7)
Since: Feb 2010
Hi Ovalman,

Good luck with this challenge. I did pretty well and hit a single big score when I last did this to rebuild my bankroll from scratch - think the really deep run was for about $60. I still play regularly for a bit of extra boost - especially if I am playing the Skill Leagues or 10/20FPP MTTs.

I don't usually take any rebuys/add-ons and if I bust early I just wait for the next one. I can usually min-cash regularly and pick up a deeper run quite often, but getting super-deep just once can give you a good addition to the bankroll.

Went out 329th in one a few minutes ago, for $0.94 - which all helps fund my regular $1.10 MTTs.

Typical exit hand - I shove small stacked but still some fold eqity - and bigger stacks that will call with worse - and of course they suck out a reasonable percentage, but I'm happy to do this every time.

http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-h...744_3860BA117A

You have to expect this at all stages in these games - but especially early on. I am usually quite patient until the blinds get to the slightly odd 35/70 chip level, at which point if I haven't chipped up yet I am shoving a bit wider range than in the early stages.

Good luck

Ed

Old
Tue May 14, 2013, 06:24 PM
(#8)
Thanks Ed, I looked for your thread but couldn't find it.

I can't see me playing these all the time but I'd be happy with a big score in one. Like you, I wont rebuy, there are many others that will inflate the prize pool for me.

Old
Tue May 14, 2013, 06:36 PM
(#9)
Since: Oct 2011
I've never tried these events (brag: the only time I ever deposited on Stars was 3 years ago, and I've never gone busto) but is it true that they can last 7 hours or something ridiculous like that? I think if I played that long and went out as Bubbleboy, I'd be on lifetilt.

Good luck with this challenge, though! I'll be following on your blog too.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue May 14, 2013, 09:39 PM
(#10)
Since: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtySmokesPS View Post
but is it true that they can last 7 hours or something ridiculous like that? I think if I played that long and went out as Bubbleboy, I'd be on lifetilt.
I don't think they last that long. I've been ITM by the break after the add-on in a field of 7467 players. I'll be following this with personal interest, myself.

Follow me on Twitter

Last edited by iggyo; Tue May 14, 2013 at 09:56 PM..

Old
Wed May 15, 2013, 12:56 AM
(#11)
Since: Mar 2012
SilverStar
4 hours in at the moment and there is 19 left out of 7454 runners. I'm slightly below average stack with 475,000 chips. Didn't add on or rebuy. Farthest I've got in one of these. Maybe one of the busier times could last seven hours but this has an hour maximum left in it so more like five hours.

Wish me luck!

Old
Wed May 15, 2013, 01:00 AM
(#12)
The bubble usually bursts shortly after the add-on period - around 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hrs in, depending on the field, which varies from less than 7.5K to the max of 25K players, though they rarely fill up.

Found my 'brag' thread when I made the FT late in February - link below. This had just under 10K entrants and took 5 3/4hrs to finish. The big finish meant I gave up on the Freerolling to bankroll rebuild pretty quickly, although as I still play them in the mix alongside any other MTTs I am playing.

The smaller fields usually have a better min cash - say $0.35 - than the larger fields, where it might be as low as $0.15, but as ever all the big money is on the FT and especially the top 3 spots. An outright win is usually over $200 so well worth playing if you have no br and the time to fit these in.

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...e-Freeroll-MTT

Ed

Old
Wed May 15, 2013, 01:05 AM
(#13)
SilverStar
Yeah this one had exactly 35 cents mimimum. Very much hoping for the top prize.

Old
Wed May 15, 2013, 01:12 AM
(#14)
SilverStar
Out in 13th - http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-h...233_6352299895

If it wasn't for luck I would win every tournament .

Old
Wed May 15, 2013, 03:56 PM
(#15)
Well done Herbalev and ul, still some added bankroll for to play with.

I didn't need to deposit Arty, I take up deposit bonuses from time to time but I always withdraw again when I meet the promotion's targets. Had I known these freerolls were available in the store, I'd have went for Chrome and played them from there. I withdrew a good proportion of my balance to buy a monitor but I still left enough in my account so I could build up without having to drop to just freerolls.

Folded AJo pre flop in a 5 way pot but totally card dead until this hand:

I also noticed that Ed, you just need a few double ups early and you should make the cash.

Old
Thu May 16, 2013, 04:59 PM
(#16)
Not sure if this is a shove even though I got my chips in ahead. It was the best hand I had in the tourney.

I've realised there's no play in the early stages of this tournament, it's either shove or call a shove. Even deeper you rarely see any more than the flop.

Old
Fri May 17, 2013, 04:51 AM
(#17)
I would be happy shoving that hand in that situation, given stack sizes and the limp ahead of you.

My range is looser in these tourneys - for example AJ is a monster in these games...

AJ suited is obviously the nuts and worth a shove for 44 big blinds

http://www.boomplayer.com/poker-hand...992_CBD0424DEB

but with 25BB AJ offsuit might require a bit more thought...

http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-h...071_17EE03CDF2

...nah just shove it.

I'm not saying do this all the time, but very often so called 'trouble' hands increase their value massively in this structure. ( And I was in a hurry this morning )

Edit:

Just on the hour break - I run even gooder

http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-h...151_7AA2B2C3AF

simple game really...
Ed

Last edited by EdinFreeMan; Fri May 17, 2013 at 04:58 AM..

Old
Fri May 17, 2013, 10:53 AM
(#18)
I late reged for this one, only seen 3 hands.

I get ya Ed, will deffo loosen my range although I hate calling an all in, I'd much rather push one. Those ante's eat into you, I've only just realised that steal shoves should also loosen, with antes involved even rags are near getting correct odds to shove in position so long as I'm first in the pot.

Old
Fri May 17, 2013, 03:06 PM
(#19)
Played bingo 1st hand and lost:

Old
Fri May 17, 2013, 03:23 PM
(#20)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovalman View Post
Played bingo 1st hand and lost:

I think the three other villains are playing bingo - your options are give up the hand or call - you might not get a better spot anyway, and you dominate the range of so many of these players.

Once you call the - 66 hand is calling into a minimum 3-way pot, presumably expecting at least some overcards if not higher pairs - the final caller is even worse. As for the UTG shove with raggy ace - dying to get called by medium/large pairs and bigger aces.

It may not be the best to call in many tourneys with AK - but in a freebuy it is cheap - very little downside and great potential. I'd call this 1st hand too - then go make my tea.

I had to wait 15 hands for something marginal to get involved with - then I lost - c'est la vie - but I reckon when we win these Ovalman, that is when we can have a chip edge and a skill edge over most of these players - or we can go back to bed/lunch/pub etc.

Ed

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com