Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

Bankroll Builder

Old
Bankroll Builder - Mon May 13, 2013, 03:54 PM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2013
Hi i would like to take part in the bankroll builder promotion, thank you.

Old
Mon May 13, 2013, 04:14 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Be sure to read THIS just to be be sure of exactly what's on offer with the Bankroll Builder promotion.

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion. Please check back this time tomorrow!

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschoolonline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon May 13, 2013, 07:25 PM
(#3)
Hi mikkywhitty,

You are eligible for the Bankroll Builder promotion, good job!
NB: Bookmark this page so that you'll find it easily in the future

First Step

Watch the following video and pay special attention to the tips on retrieving and saving your hand history from PokerStars. This will be important for the rest of your promotional journey.

After wacthing this please play some PLAY MONEY FULL-RING (9-Handed) tables at PokerStars and using the Hand Replayer post a hand here in this thread that you have questions about.
Here is a video on how to use the hand replayer.

Then when you have that done please have a go at the Poker Basics Course and pass the quiz at the end of the course.
So you have 3 steps to do to begin with and when you have all 3 done we will award you with your first bonus.

1) Watch the 'Getting Started' video
2) Post a 'PLAY MONEY' hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer
3) Pass the Poker Basic course.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 steps completed.

Best of Luck!

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Bankroll builder hand - Wed May 15, 2013, 03:59 AM
(#4)

Should i have bet on the turn instead of checked as i feel i could have taken the pot then.

Old
Wed May 15, 2013, 04:04 AM
(#5)
I have completed all three steps.

Old
Wed May 15, 2013, 04:25 PM
(#6)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi mikkywhitty! I'll take a look at this hand.

You got a good result here, but I don't think your mistake is on the turn. It's actually pre-flop. With A5 offsuit in early position on a full ring table, I'm folding 100% of the time. This is a marginal hand at best, and it plays very badly out of position. I'd generally only use this hand for trying to steal the blinds when I'm in late position. When you get on to the real money tables, you'll find that ragged aces are not profitable hands to play, because most opponents will only play bigger aces, meaning you have kicker trouble.
As played, there's a limp and you decide to raise. This raise would often be enough to isolate the limper and prevent other players entering the pot on a real money table, but in play money games, you'll get multiple callers, and it's likely that at least one will have a better hand, and it's very likely that someone will out-flop you when there's multiway action. Here, your raise gets called by 4 players.
The flop comes a dry K54, so you have second pair, but it's pretty likely someone has a king. I'd generally check here, and maybe call a small bet, hoping to improve on the turn. Instead, you lead for a bet that is almost the size of the pot. When you make a big bet like this, you'll often only get action from hands that beat you. Kx is definitely calling, but you're also losing to sets and two pairs. Only one player calls. I'd put him on a king and wouldn't put another chip in the pot unless you improve to trips or two pairs. The 6 on the turn is relatively blank, as the only hands it improves are pocket 6s and 65. If villain called on the flop with an open-ended straight draw with 76, then he just made a weak pair. Checking and seeing what happens on the river is a good idea.
The river comes a T which doesn't complete any draws. Since villain doesn't lead out here, it would seem he is weak. If he had a king, I would expect him to bet for value. Since villain is probably weak, he won't be calling a big bet, so making one might seem pointless. As with the flop, you're likely to only get action from hands that beat you. I would often check behind here, as your hand has some showdown value, but I think this villain probably has a pair that beats your pair of 5s. He could have turned the 6, or he might have had a pocket pair like 99 or 77 all along. The only way for you to beat those hands is to make a big bet to get them to fold. 520 is probably enough to do just that.

Every time you made a bet in this hand, you were basically bluffing. You were representing a much bigger hand than you actually had. In playmoney games, and also 1c/2c real money games, bluffing is not recommended, because villains will call too often. I'd recommend you play hands for value instead. If you start with a strong hand and connect with the board, then you can make big bets, because villains will call with worse. With a trash hand like A5, you're better off not playing at all, because it doesn't have a positive expectation.
Be aware of this when you move on to the real money tables. These games will be much tougher than playmoney tables, so you'll need to start with solid value hands, like big pairs and big aces.

Good luck with the next stage of the promotion!
Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed May 15, 2013, 08:30 PM
(#7)
Excellent!

You've done all 3 tasks and you'll get your first bonus in the next 24 hours, good job!

Step Two

Use your first buy-in to only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Post one hand that you had difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze it for you.
Please watch the following video and answer the question below.

List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?

Then study the Cash Game Course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

So you have 3 things to do to earn your next bonus.

1) Play the 1/2 cent Real Money tables and post an interesting hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer.
2) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.
3) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 tasks complete and we will award you with your next buy-in.

Best of Luck!

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu May 16, 2013, 08:06 AM
(#8)
I have completed the cash game quiz. Three reasons to make a big bet are to put pressure on other players, add value to a strong hand and to protect against drawing hands.

What would you suggest i do differently on this hand, thanks for you time

Old
Thu May 16, 2013, 10:45 AM
(#9)
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.
He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu May 16, 2013, 12:37 PM
(#10)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi again mikkywhitty!

This hand is a cooler. On the river, just about everyone in the world is going broke with your hand, as there are only 3 or 4 hands that beat you. The vast majority of the time you are doubling up. There a couple of things I would change about your play, however, and - as with the hand I analysed above - the biggest problem is pre-flop.
QJ offsuit is not a strong hand. It's good enough to raise with in late position, as an attempt to steal the blinds, but here you are second to act, facing a raise by the UTG player, and with 6 other players all with live cards. Do you think QJ is likely to be the best hand in this situation? This should be a very easy fold and there are several reasons why.
An UTG open represents a very strong hand. In that seat, I'm usually only raising with TT+ and AK. QJ is not ahead of any of the hands in that range. In fact, it's completely crushed. With 6 players still to act, it's likely that there will be at least one caller, and possibly even a re-raise. Since you will be out of position if there is a caller behind you, you will not be able to play this hand in this situation profitably in the long run.
As played, you call and there is another caller, so you're sandwiched between two players, both of whom are likely to have better hands than yours.
The flop comes QJT, all clubs. This is a pretty good flop for you, because you have top two pairs, but it's bad for you in a couple of respects. If UTG's range is TT+ and AK, then he either has a set of 10s, jacks, or queens, a straight with AK, or even a royal flush with AcKc. The only hands in villain's range that you beat are KK and AA, but both of these have a straight draw. If villain has a club in his hand, he has a flush draw too.
Your best hope here is that villain has two red aces. I think he's always calling at least one bet if he has that hand. A bet of 3/4 pot will get value and deny him the right odds to call with his gutshot+overpair, and he might go a bit crazy and get all his money in as an underdog, trying to "protect" his hand. When villain check-calls, his range remains unchanged. I would be very worried he is slowplaying a set or a straight, and wants to see some blank cards that don't make a 4-flush on the board.
The on the turn is a terrible card for you. If villain had AA/KK with a club, then he just made the flush. If he doesn't have a club in his hand, he's unlikely to put any more money in the pot. This is a textbook example of being way ahead or way behind. Since you don't want to bloat the pot if you're way behind, checking behind on the turn is correct. With any luck, you can hit one of your 4 outs to make a full house, so you'd beat all flushes.
The river is great for you, as your made your boat, but something very strange happens here. Villain leads out for a bet that is larger than the pot. This overbet is scary. In my experience, big river bets tend to indicate a hand that is close to the nuts. It's time to re-evaluate the strength of your hand and count up the combos you're beating and losing to, to see if you can profitably call (or even raise) this bet. Villain's line is consistent with flopped sets that rivered boats. If he holds QQ, he has you beat, with queens full of jacks, versus your jacks full of queens. He can't have jacks full, because you have one of the jacks, but he can certainly have tens full of jacks, which you beat. TT is a more likely hand than QQ, because you have a queen in your hand, so the Q on the board would have to be the case queen. In terms of full house combos, you're beating more than you lose to. Now we have to ask if villain would take this line (overbetting the river) with just the flush with the or . I think it's possible that he is overvaluing his AA, KK or AK that turned a flush, but he should be scared by the paired board, so would normally make a smaller bet and be prepared to fold to a raise. I don't see villain overbetting with AKo that just has a straight, so that only leaves one more hand in villain's range for overbetting, and that is precisely which would be literally the nuts; a flopped royal flush. It is incredibly rare to flop a royal, but I think most villains would play it exactly the way this guy did.
Since I'm still not convinced we're beating much, I'd probably just call on the river, but in the heat of battle, I think many players would think "I have queens full, I'm getting my stack in". It's pretty brutal that villain shows up with the absolute nuts here. Not only was he exceptionally lucky to flop the royal. He was also incredibly lucky that you made a very strong hand yourself, so he got paid in full. Usually when you have the stone cold nuts, it's hard to get paid, because the board will be scary for your opponent.

So, on the whole, you were very unfortunate to run into the absolute top of villain's range, but the whole problem would have been avoided if you'd not made the mistake of calling pre-flop. QJ is a trouble hand, and I'd definitely recommend you always dump it when you are in early position, whether there's a raise or not.

Hope this helps!
Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu May 16, 2013, 01:07 PM
(#11)
Hi mikkywhitty,

Fantastic!

Your next Bankroll Builder bonus is on it's way to you, great job so far.

Watch this video that will help you on the cash game tables

There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving this bonus and you will automatically be credited with the next bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your this bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

Joss

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun May 19, 2013, 04:24 PM
(#12)
I have earned 10 vpp's since receiving my bonus.

Old
Mon May 20, 2013, 01:10 PM
(#13)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikkywhitty View Post
I have earned 10 vpp's since receiving my bonus.
Hello,

Our system is only showing 8.19 VPPs for you at the moment.

'Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving your 2nd bonus and you will automatically be credited with your 3rd bonus'

Remember it's 10 VPPs earned AFTER you got your last buy-in, not 10 VPPs total (any VPPS earned before you got your last buy-in do not count)

If you have earned 10 VPPs AFTER you got your 2nd bonus then your 3rd bonus should be credited to you automatically within 24 hours.

Let me know when you get it and I'll advise on the next step.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue May 21, 2013, 07:09 PM
(#14)
Hi mikkywhitty,

Fantastic!

Your next Bankroll Builder bonus is on it's way to you, great job so far.

There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving this bonus and you will automatically be credited with the next bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your this bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

Joss

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com