Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

2NL 6-max Zoom AQs

Old
2NL 6-max Zoom AQs - Mon May 13, 2013, 04:15 PM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2012
I have several questions here. Should I've 3B pre flop ?
should I fold my hand on the flop ? well, I decided to call since I was ahead of many aces and kings. I folded the turn since there was the other player still left to act and if I called the turn I'd probably have to call a big bet on the river as well.
Any thoughts or leaks that I should correct here?
The the button had Ad8c and the cut off had Ah8d ( yeah, I didn't believe it as well. )

Old
Mon May 13, 2013, 09:56 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi fp,

Quote:
Should I've 3B pre flop ?
Until you start utilizing reads and ranging opponents, you're going to have a hard time answering questions like this. We've been down this road before.

Quote:
should I fold my hand on the flop ?
I don't think we are calling preflop to check-fold to a single bet on an ace high board, right?

Quote:
I folded the turn since there was the other player still left to act and if I called the turn I'd probably have to call a big bet on the river as well.
Any thoughts or leaks that I should correct here?
Yes, the leak of not ranging your opponents.

V6 limp-calls pre then leads into the preflop raiser, his range is a lot of weak 1 pair hands and draws. Stuff like A-rag, KQ-KT, clubs, maybe a QJ/QT/JT sometimes. V1 fails to raise, indicating his holding is not very strong, so not likely AK/AA/KK or even AQ. I think we're ahead here. The turn is a blank, V6 now checks (confirming the prior range), and now V1 bets. But his failure to raise on the flop gave away his lack of strength, I would expect V1 to have AT or worse or sometimes KQ himself. So not only would I not fold, I'd be willing to check-raise with the AQ as played to this point, and get it in here with either villain.

Maybe if we utilized reads we could make better decisions, but in a vacuum just going based on the action sequence this is my best guess.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue May 14, 2013, 03:09 PM
(#3)
Since: Jan 2012
Thanks for the insights Dave, I'll work on my reading. I have no reads since I don't use a HUD and only make notes on players. And usually they don't come again lol. But I'm running good so far

Old
Tue May 14, 2013, 09:24 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fp_boss77 View Post
I have no reads since I don't use a HUD and only make notes on players. And usually they don't come again lol
I'll give you an example. I have no HUD stats or notes on these players obviously, don't even know their screen names. Here's my reads:

V6 is playing an odd half stack size and open limps, so he rates to be a bad player who is likely loose.

V1 is playing an almost full stack but not auto-topping off. He also sizes his open raise to 3x which is what most players do first in, and doesn't increase it to isolate the weak limper. So he is probably a recreational player who is not too skilled.

With a tough decision you can also check how many zoom tables they are playing. 4 zoom tables is more likely to be a regular than 1 zoom table.

Based on this I would expect neither opponent to be ranging us, or at least if they are, not doing it well. And I'd expect them to make basic mistakes like overvaluing or not correctly evaluating hand strengths, not able to understand betting patterns, probably not be versed in odds and outs, and make bet sizing errors.

There's a lot of information available to you even if you are not using a HUD and don't have any physical notes logged on a player yet.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com