Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

25nl reg table - AA. How often is enough?

Old
25nl reg table - AA. How often is enough? - Tue May 14, 2013, 03:29 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
I have two questions about this hand. One regarding preflop and one the turn.

The BTN is an odd players who plays fairly LAG preflop but super passive postflop. Although the sample size is only 57 hands. 29/24/5.6 F3b 50.

However the BB is a good LAG regular (good sample size), my question is how often does he have to squeeze to make me flatting a worthwhile?

I decided to 3bet as I wasn't sure calling was profitable and proceeded to cbet the flop for value. The turn brings a third diamond and I'm wondering what the best line is?

I think if I bet I can get value from some one pair hands especially if they contain a diamond. Also straight draws may be inclined to call which is why I sized my bet smaller. However if I check, he may well bet worse hands but I'm a little lost as to what to do on the river if a diamond doesn't hit and he fires again. To counter this would a bet/fold for value be better? If he checks back I have an easy bet for value but this won't always be the case. So what's the best turn line?

Follow me on: Twitter

Old
Wed May 15, 2013, 02:38 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi Oli,

Preflop I would 3b. Not sure why you think calling would not be profitable, both calling or 3-betting are profitable with AA, but for me as I would 3b button steals fairly wide, I would do so here with a monster. If V2 is a lag he may come along or 4b wider anyway. Don't know what your image is but if he's good and if he thinks you're good, then you should want to isolate the wide steal range and want the BB to go away quite frequently, and he should know that, so he'll give your 3b less credit here.

I like betting the turn... against an aggro player I would consider checking to induce them to bet and get value from their floats and weak pairs that would fold to a bet, but bet themselves if checked to. Since so far he's been super passive post flop we can't count on him to do the betting for us.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed May 15, 2013, 05:17 PM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLangolier View Post
Not sure why you think calling would not be profitable
I misphrased it, I was questioning the EV in comparison to each other rather than the absolute EV.

Just wondering if you would ever flat here if the BB is a chronic squeezer, or would the disadvantage of us playing OOP without initiative when/if they flat or fold be too much to it be worth considering? Would you be more inclined to flat if we were OTB?

Thanks for all the help

Oli

Follow me on: Twitter

Old
Thu May 16, 2013, 08:51 AM
(#4)
Since: Mar 2012
Heys Oliver,

I won't really like flatting here even if we're OTB, cos of various factors. First and foremost, I like to take a look at his stats. If he's a good LAG, I don't think his squeeze% will be insanely high. The case will be different if he's a maniacal 1 tabler 1 star who squeezes or shoves every single hand- that gives us a better rationale to slowplay. So, we can't count on V2 to squeeze here.

If "good LAG" flats behind, he could make the hand difficult to play. Multiway, OOP (in this case), laying a good price to get drawn out, high SPR, sometimes he may even raise the cbet and we don't know where we are. My personal bad experience slowplaying AA I feel that we're losing value in the long run playing AA in a small pot. So I'll just 3bet here. Since you have a LAG image, V2 might 4-bet bluff or flat behind our 3-bet.

However in future scenarios where you're positioned after V2, he 3-bets/squeezes before it's your turn, you notice he has a high Sqz%, high Cbet%, high F4B%, then flatting may be more profitable. Just my 2 cents worth

Old
Thu May 16, 2013, 09:54 AM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croyd93 View Post
I misphrased it, I was questioning the EV in comparison to each other rather than the absolute EV.

Just wondering if you would ever flat here if the BB is a chronic squeezer, or would the disadvantage of us playing OOP without initiative when/if they flat or fold be too much to it be worth considering? Would you be more inclined to flat if we were OTB?
No, I'm 3-betting. Trying to get cute tends to cost me money more than make it.

Keep in mind also a chronic squeezer is probably cold 4-ing this situation light sometimes too.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com