Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

25nl - A5o OTB. Tight river fold?

Old
25nl - A5o OTB. Tight river fold? - Tue May 14, 2013, 03:58 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
The SB is appearing to be a TAG but he's only been at the table 27 hands. 17/13/12.5 AF 2.0.

The BB is nitting it up, 09/06/2.7 AF 1.0, but again only a small sample of 76 hands.

I decide to steal OTB with A5o and the SB comes along, I think the cbet is fairly standard as I can get some better aces to fold. However given that there are 2 broadway cards that he could have potentially hit and the flop is connected is giving up a better option?

On the turn I pick up some SD value and think I have a better chance to get value if I check back and bet the river if given the chance or pick off a bet on good cards.

The K hits the river and he leads out fairly small. At this point I don't expect him to be betting a Q although we chop with all other A's due to the paired boards I'm unsure how many are in his range, maybe AQ and occasionally AJ. We need 25% equity to call and vs a range of AQs-AJs, KTs+, AQo-AJo, KQo we have 29% equity. Is it close enough that folding isn't terrible?

Cheers

Oli

Follow me on: Twitter

Last edited by Croyd93; Wed May 15, 2013 at 04:03 AM..

Old
Wed May 15, 2013, 06:05 AM
(#2)
Since: Nov 2011
Hey Oliver

I think the turn is a bet and I don't really think it is very close. There are simply too many second best hands that can call us. KX, QX, JX, TX, 9X. That's a lot of hands!

The flop is closer, I don't really have much of a preference either way. We have pretty much 10% equity at best so we don't benefit much from checking back. So I'd rather try to take it away now from 88-22, AX type hands than check back and lose the hand 100% of the time. The question is whether his check-folds are a large enough portion of his range to much c-betting profitable. One can hope so

Old
Wed May 15, 2013, 12:38 PM
(#3)
Since: Jan 2013
The way he played that i put him on a draw maybe TQ JQ and diamonds but when he bet the river he could of had a king and was scared of you flopping a straight but when you never bet the turn you basically said i dont have a straight so if he did have kings he just made a value bet on the river with his trips.

Good fold imo i wouldnt cbet that flop anyway your always getting called there unless they had a weak underpair

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com