Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

3sixes == 2Ks

Old
3sixes == 2Ks - Wed May 15, 2013, 06:28 AM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2013
hello world

how come?

Old
Wed May 15, 2013, 08:01 AM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi anim3mina!

I'm not exactly sure of your question, but I think it has something to do with side pots. You're asking why K5 wins 58 chips, correct?

I'd guess this pot started off multiway and the guy with 66 was all in with a very short stack, so he could only win a small pot. If another player in the hand folded, then K5 would win the side pot, which would consist of any chips put in the pot after the shorty was all in.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed May 15, 2013, 10:00 AM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2011
Hi Anim3mina

Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Here is a link to help familiarize you with all the features and services available at PSO. Feel free to look around the forum and post any comments or questions you may have.

You are invited to join the PokerSchoolOnline Community Home Games Club. Information on how to join the club may be found here.
Good luck at the tables!

Oliver

Follow me on: Twitter

Old
Thu May 16, 2013, 12:02 PM
(#4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtySmokesPS View Post
You're asking why K5 wins 58 chips, correct?
correct

Quote:
I'd guess this pot started off multiway and the guy with 66 was all in with a very short stack, so he could only win a small pot. If another player in the hand folded, then K5 would win the side pot, which would consist of any chips put in the pot after the shorty was all in.
I see, thank you!

however, here's another situation I found confusing

so again, why 54 wins 337 chips?

Old
Thu May 16, 2013, 01:12 PM
(#5)
Since: Oct 2011
In this one, both players end up with the same final hand, because their kickers don't play, so it's a chopped pot. In a chopped pot, both players should win half of the pot, but you can't cut a chip in half, so one guy wins an extra chip.

By "same final hand", I mean they both have 444JT. When deciding who wins at showdown, you make the best possible 5-card hand using just the board cards, one hole card and 4 board cards, or both hole cards and 3 community cards. The 5 and the 7 are useless here, because the J and T on the board are both better cards. The winning hand for both players is trip 4s with a jack kicker, and a 10 for the second kicker.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu May 16, 2013, 04:06 PM
(#6)
Quote:
but you can't cut a chip in half, so one guy wins an extra chip.
lol

Quote:
By "same final hand", I mean they both have 444JT. When deciding who wins at showdown, you make the best possible 5-card hand using just the board cards, one hole card and 4 board cards, or both hole cards and 3 community cards. The 5 and the 7 are useless here, because the J and T on the board are both better cards. The winning hand for both players is trip 4s with a jack kicker, and a 10 for the second kicker.
yes, of course, seems so logical.. NOW

complete newbie here, pls do forgive

and thank you, once again

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com