Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Challenges & Battleground & Member Blogs /

Sandtrap777's Statistic blog

Old
Sandtrap777's Statistic blog - Wed May 15, 2013, 03:41 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2010
I decided to start a blog on statistics so that people can understand the meaning of them, compare with each other and hope that with this info, better their stats. I'm not a HUD user, but I do check my stats regularly so that I can improve. I'm also not a knowledgeable stat player, so I'll only convey the basics for the stats

This thread is NOT about the software but about the statistics so we can see how we're doing versus what is the norm.

Poker Tracker 4 has this new feature called Leak Tracker. It analysis 26 overall statistics and 24 stats per position for games, stakes, table size, and bet type for cash games. I often check my stats to see if I'm in line and what I need to improve, which is not always easy. So, I'm willing to strip myself naked (no ladies, I'm talking about divulging MY numbers) on different stats.

The following stats are for cash games and are my 50NL 6-max stats since 01/01/2013. Since I have over 100,000 hands played at that stake, it will give me a descent picture of where I need to improve.

PART #1
We'll first look at Preflop VPIP, PFR, PFR/VPIP and 3Bet

VPIP

VPIP stands for percentage of the time that a player voluntarily contributed money to the pot. For low stake 6-max, the average is between 16.5% and 30.1% and for FR, it's between 11.2% and 22.8%. My VPIP is at 16.41% which is considered to be at the lower spectrum of the range. By being borderline low, players might see my bets as very strong and just fold. But when I look deeper in this software, I notice that I'm smack in the middle of the range in the SB, BB and middle position, and below par in the CO and Button, so that's where I need to improve. When I look at my attempt to steal stats, it explains why it's so very low.

PFR

PFR stands for percentage of the time that a player put in any raise preflop. For low stake 6-max, the average is between 12.7% and 20.0% and for FR, it's between 7.6% and 14.3%. My PFR is at 12.67%, again considered to be at the lower spectrum of the range. Same as VPIP, players could think that you've got a strong hand and just fold, BUT it could also mean that the player is slow playing a strong hand, so you'll need good notes on that player to determine the right play. In my case, my VPIP and PFR have the same results, meaning that I'm OK in SB, BB and middle position, and below par in the CO and Button. I need to raise more in late positions.

PFR/VPIP

PFR/VPIP stands for the ratio of how often a player raises preflop to how often he puts money in preflop. For low stake 6-max, the average is between 55.5% and 91.5% and for FR, it's between 49.2% and 86.9%. Basically the lower the number the more passive you are and the higher the number, the more aggressive you are. My overall PFR/VPIP ratio is smack in the middle with 74.86%. My ratio % differs at different positions, for example, in middle position I'm at 92.92%, but in the BB position I'm at 37.61. This kind of says, "sure take my blind". Even though that my overall stat is smack on, when I look deeper into the position, I see a leak in the BB.

3Bet

3Bet is the percentage of the time that a player 3Bet preflop. For low stake 6-max, the average is between 4.2 and 8.9% and for FR, it's between 2.2% and 6.0%. My 3Bet percentage is again, smack in the middle at 6.76% and the good news is that it's for all positions. (between 5.6% and 7.76%). If your numbers are higher, I would consider you a lag player who loves to bluff a lot. Imagine, 6.76% means that I only 3-Bet 7 times out of every 100 hands. How often do you 3-Bet? 3-Bet needs to be used in the right positions against players that you do know (notes).

I can see from these stats that I need to improve in late position. I need to be more aggressive and open up my range in CO and Button position.

My next blog will be on Flop for CBet Flop, Flop AF, Flop AFq, Fold to F CBet and Fold to F Bet

Later

Last edited by Sandtrap777; Thu May 23, 2013 at 11:39 AM..

Old
Wed May 15, 2013, 04:55 PM
(#2)
Since: Apr 2011
I think this will be extremely useful for a lot of people here. I look forward to some stats talk here!

Old
Wed May 15, 2013, 05:18 PM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2011
Leaktracker looks great! You have to pay extra for something similar for HEM2 (which I use).

Just a quick note:
Your VPIP/PFR ratio in the big blind is low, but this does not mean "sure, take my blind". It means you will call in the big blind, rather than re-raise. If anything, a villain is less likely to try and steal your blind if you are calling in that seat quite often.
When I'm considering stealing, I'd rather try stealing from someone that either folds or 3-bets. I don't really want them to call, because that will mean I have to actually out-play them on the flop.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed May 15, 2013, 05:22 PM
(#4)
Not sure Arty,
I rarely call a raise on the BB. I will usually fold or re-raise, not saying that I never call, but it's pretty rare. Does it still make sense?

Old
Wed May 15, 2013, 05:53 PM
(#5)
37.6% PFR/VPIP in the BB doesn't feel that low to me. You cannot raise if it is folded to you in the BB so the PFR is limited to raising limper/s and 3 bet. So you would expect lower than other positions. It does suggest you are calling more than 3+ betting, but hey that's kinda normal for BB isn't it?

It's when your VPIP in the BB is very low that would scream steal me.

Old
Wed May 15, 2013, 05:54 PM
(#6)
When the action reaches you in the big blind (and you didn't get a walk), then you can either fold, call or re-raise. If your VPIP/PFR ratio in that seat is 37.61, then that means you're only raising 37% of the time when you voluntarily put money in the pot. So if, and only if, you choose to play the hand, you must be raising (or re-raising) 37% of the time, and calling 63% of the time. In other words, you're more likely to call than to raise. I've not got your VPIP/PFR numbers to hand, but you'd have a ratio of around 37% if your VPIP in the BB was 14% and your PFR in the BB was 5%.

I don't think this is a huge leak. If the raiser is the small blind, then calling with a wide range is fairly standard. Typically, every player's VPIP/PFR ratio (which can also be described as "the gap between your VPIP and PFR") will be lowest in the BB.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed May 15, 2013, 06:04 PM
(#7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Profess Awe View Post
You cannot raise if it is folded to you in the BB so the PFR is limited to raising limper/s and 3 bet. So you would expect lower than other positions.
The PFR stat only tallies up the number of times you raised when you had the opportunity to raise. If you get a walk, there is no opportunity to do anything, least of all raise, so your VPIP and PFR stats are not impacted. If there are limpers, then you have an opportunity to VPIP and PFR. You could also just check your option. This would count as a missed PFR opportunity and a missed VPIP opportunity. Checking your option occasionally would mean your PFR in the BB will tend to be lower than in other seats, which is another reason why the ratio would be lower in the long run.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed May 15, 2013, 07:53 PM
(#8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtySmokesPS View Post
The PFR stat only tallies up the number of times you raised when you had the opportunity to raise. ...
Yep, we're agreeing, you just explained it better than I did

Old
Thu May 16, 2013, 03:51 PM
(#9)
Since: Jan 2013
Hey sandtrap what happened to you posting those 25nl hands you was gonna post?

Old
Thu May 16, 2013, 05:07 PM
(#10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2198 View Post
Hey sandtrap what happened to you posting those 25nl hands you was gonna post?
Where and when did I say that?????
This thread is for debates on stats

Old
Thu May 16, 2013, 05:11 PM
(#11)
Since: Jan 2013
Artys thread i think it was.

Old
Thu May 23, 2013, 12:37 PM
(#12)
PART #2
We will now look at Flop CBet Flop, Flop AF, Flop AFq, Fold to F CBet and Fold to F Bet.

CBet Flop

CBet Flop % stands for Percentage of the time that a player bet the flop given that he had a chance to do so and he made the last raise preflop. For low stake 6-max, the average is between 59.7% and 83.0% and for FR, it's between 55.4% and 81.9%. My CBet Flop is very low at 49.88%. Continuation bet is important in order to take advantage of weaker players, but facing regular players, you need to know their range, you need to know the player. ** For me, this is a must improve **

Flop AF

Flop AF stands for Flop Aggression Factor, Ratio of the times a player makes an aggressive action (a bet or raise) to the times they call on the flop. For example, a player with an AF of 2 has bet or raised twice as many times as they have called. For low stake 6-max, the average is between 1.7 and 7.4 and for FR, it's between 1.7 and 5.2. My Flop AF is at the low end of the range at 2.42. I just need to make a small adjustment by raising one more time than I call on the flop.

Flop AFq

Flop AFq stands for Flop Aggression Frequency, Percentage of non-checking flop actions that were aggressive. For example, a player with an AFq of 40 made a bet or raise 40% of the time he bet, raised, called, or folded. For low stake 6-max, the average is between 44.5% and 62.4% and for FR, it's between 38.8% and 56.5%. My Flop AFq is almost smack in the middle at 51.69%. For those with lower numbers, you'll need to add bluffs into your flop betting and raising ranges, increase your frequency of bets and raises and use hands with equity like gutters, overcards and backdoor draws.

Fold to F CBet

Fold to F CBet stands for Percentage of the time that a player folds to a flop bet given that the bettor was the last raiser preflop. For low stake 6-max, the average is between 37.9% and 62.5% and for FR, it's between 37.0% and 66.7%. My Fold to CBet is smack in the middle at 50.29%. For those with lower numbers, you'll need to raise connected flops with equity and flat call in order to bluff later on dryer flops.

Fold to F Bet

Fold to F Bet stands for Percentage of the time that a player folds to any flop bet, given that he had a chance to do so. For low stake 6-max, the average is between 51.7% and 65.7% and for FR, it's between 50.0% and 72.4%. My Fold to Flop Bet falls slightly outside of the range at 49.74%. I need to increase the frequency of folding marginal hands. ** For me, this is a must improve **

Post flop is where I have a few problems to solve. I need to CBet more and fold more, which in turn will raise my Flop AF

Part #3 will be on the Turn CBet Turn, Turn AF, Turn AFq and Fold to Turn Bet

Later

Old
Thu May 23, 2013, 02:10 PM
(#13)
At the lowest stakes c-betting doesn't need to be very high, especially when villains are somewhat stationy, but you should certainly be doing it more often than not, especially when heads up. The aim should not be to increase your AF, exactly. Your aim is to make more money.

There are a few reasons to c-bet more often than you do currently.
1. You want to make it harder for villains to read you. (If they use HUDs and notice your low C-bet rate, they will know you're not bluffing very often).
2. C-betting 60% of pot is immediately profitable if villain folds more often than 37.5% of the time. (And you've pointed out that villains will actually fold on the flop about 50% of the time).
3. When you have a big hand, your c-bet starts building a bigger pot, which leads to bigger wins.
4. If villain is on a draw that eventually misses, the only streets you can get value on are the flop and turn, so missing the c-bet loses a whole street of value.

If you've not seen it already, TheLangolier made a great video on c-betting.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu May 23, 2013, 03:01 PM
(#14)
Arty you're right if you play regular tables, but I don't, I play Zoom. Also, these stats are for personal analysis and NOT used on HUD as I don't use any.

Those stats ARE for low stake cash games, unless you mean very low stakes (2NL)

They can't read me unless I play many hours. You see the same player maybe 5 times in an hour when playing one table. Not enough to get HUD information.

Yes I've seen the video and since, my CBet as gone up by 4.6% in the last 3 months, but still have some work to do

Old
Thumbs up
Thu May 23, 2013, 03:16 PM
(#15)
BronzeStar
Just wanted to say THANK YOU for starting this "blog" Mr. Sandman! I've just touched upon the first few paragraphs and need to set this aside until later when I don't have so many distractions so I can absorb the information you've so generously taken your time to share here!

I am looking forward to learning so much more than I've come to understand to this point and feel this information is incredibly helpful! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

MJ

Old
Thu May 23, 2013, 03:44 PM
(#16)
Since: Jul 2011
Hi Sandtrap,

Great piece. I've just had a look at my stats for the last 25k hands I played at it looks like you're helping me plug my leaks once again.

Flop Cbet 84.2
Flop AF 5.62
Flop AFq 59.5
Fold vs Cbet 38.3
Fold vs flop bet 46.0

As I identified in your WTSD thread I'm cbetting a little too much and need to bring it down to increase my turn barrel%. I think both my AF and Afq look good and within the normal limits. However my Fold vs Cbet is a bit on the low side. I'm unsure whether this means I'm floating too much or calling with too many marginal holdings OTF? Perhaps a combination of both?

My fold to flop bet also looks low. Again I'm unsure what this means, do I need to fold to more donkbets when I have a marginal holding?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Follow me on: Twitter

Old
Sun Jun 09, 2013, 01:10 PM
(#17)
Part #3

We will now look at CBet Turn, Turn AF, Turn AFq and Fold to Turn Bet and River AF, River AFq and Fold to River Bet.

CBet Turn

CBet Turn % stands for Percentage of the time that a player bet the turn given that he continuation bet the flop. For low stake 6-max, the average is between 36.2% and 64.4% and for FR, it's between 29.7% and 68.6%. My CBet Turn is smack on at 56.80%. Since you just got more information with the flop, CBetting should take in consideration your opponent's range of hands and take advantage of limpers and also be very cautious when betting the turn with no perceived equity.

Turn AF

Turn AF stands for Turn Aggression Factor, Ratio of the times a player makes an aggressive action (a bet or raise) to the times they call on the turn. For example, a player with an AF of 2 has bet or raised twice as many times as they have called. For low stake 6-max, the average is between 1.4 and 4.5 and for FR, it's between 1.3 and 5.1. My Turn AF is at the low end of the range at 1.58. I just need to make a small adjustment by raising one more time than I call on the Turn.

Turn AFq

Turn AFq stands for Flop Aggression Frequency, Percentage of non-checking turn actions that were aggressive. For example, a player with an AFq of 40 made a bet or raise 40% of the time he bet, raised, called, or folded. For low stake 6-max, the average is between 42.2% and 58.2% and for FR, it's between 36.5% and 58.0%. My Turn AFq is also at the low end of the range at 44.96%. For those with lower numbers, you'll need to add bluffs into your turn betting and raising ranges, increase your frequency of bets and raises and use hands with equity like gutters, overcards and backdoor draws.

Fold to T CBet

Fold to T CBet stands for Percentage of the time that a player folded to any open bet on the turn. For low stake 6-max, the average is between 43.9% and 67.0% and for FR, it's between 36.8% and 69.1%. My Fold to T CBet is also at the low end of the range with 50.29%. For those with lower numbers, you'll need fold marginal hands to aggression more frequently and for those that need to decrease their numbers, review if you're seeing the turn to frequently.

River AF

River AF stands for River Aggression Factor, Ratio of the times a player makes an aggressive action (a bet or raise) to the times they call on the river. For example, a player with an AF of 2 has bet or raised twice as many times as they have called. For low stake 6-max, the average is between 1.2 and 3.8 and for FR, it's between 1.0 and 4.6. My River AF is at the low end of the range at 1.45. I just need to make a small adjustment by raising one more time than I call on the River and folding more often.

River AFq

River AFq stands for Flop Aggression Frequency, Percentage of non-checking river actions that were aggressive. For example, a player with an AFq of 40 made a bet or raise 40% of the time he bet, raised, called, or folded. For low stake 6-max, the average is between 36.9% and 56.4% and for FR, it's between 33.0% and 56.7%. My River AFq is also at the low end of the range at 39.46%. For those with lower numbers, you'll need to add bluffs into your river betting and raising ranges, increase your frequency of bets and raises and use hands with equity like gutters, overcards and backdoor draws.

Fold to R CBet

Fold to R CBet stands for Percentage of the time that a player folded to any open bet on the river. For low stake 6-max, the average is between 42.6% and 66.0% and for FR, it's between 35.2% and 70.9%. My Fold to R CBet is smack on with 55.0%. For those with lower numbers, you'll need fold marginal hands to aggression more frequently and for those that need to decrease their numbers, review if you're seeing the river to frequently.

My stats for both the turn and the river are within the specified range, but some of them need adjustments, since they're at the low end of the range.

Part #4 will be about the Blinds and Aggressions

Later

Old
Sun Jun 09, 2013, 01:47 PM
(#18)
BronzeStar
Thank you Sand... without any type of tracking software at hand, it is difficult to identify where I stand with each category. However, in reading through each section, you've helped me understand further many areas where I know I too must improve...

Again, thank you for taking such great care here and communicating each piece in a digestible format. I hope you have a great rest of the day! Hope to see you soon!

MJ

Old
Thu Jun 13, 2013, 01:21 PM
(#19)
Since: Dec 2010
ChromeStar
very helpful in my understanding of what all this means and a little surprised that with 2 major exceptions are numbers are close
looking forward to positional break down

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jun 16, 2013, 11:19 AM
(#20)
Since: Feb 2011
BronzeStar
I have a question about your PFR% Sandtrap. Do you open raise a wider range or a tighter range in the SB compared to the button? By how much? I recently went over my button PFR and found I am comfortable with a 31.2% for 10NL 6-max, but I am still a bit perplexed about exactly what I should be doing in the SB. My current strategy is to open the SB with my cutoff range (which is noticeably tighter than the button range).

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com