Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

NL5 FR: 22 low wet board

Old
NL5 FR: 22 low wet board - Wed May 15, 2013, 05:30 PM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2013

PokerStars Zoom No-Limit Hold'em, $0.05 BB (9 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from http://www.flopturnriver.com

Button ($5.52)
SB ($4.82)
BB ($2.50)
UTG ($5.07)
UTG+1 ($31.59)
MP1 ($7.22)
Hero (MP2) ($5.05)
MP3 ($9.79)
CO ($4.57)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 2, 2
3 folds, Hero bets $0.15, 2 folds, Button calls $0.15, 2 folds

Flop: ($0.37) 4, 3, 7 (2 players)
Hero bets $0.15, Button calls $0.15

Turn: ($0.67) 5 (2 players)
Hero bets $0.20, Button calls $0.20

River: ($1.07) 4 (2 players)
Hero checks, Button bets $0.40, Hero calls $0.40

Total pot: $1.87 | Rake: $0.08

Results below:
Click to show hidden text

New limit for me, ZOOM, no stats. But I sort of expect unknown people to be tight/nit at NL5 zoom.

Op calls a raise on the button, so I suppose he wants to play in position with suited connectors or maybe set-mine.

He calls a 1/2 pot cbet on a wet flop, so at this point I would lean more towards a draw, perhaps flush, or he hit one of the pairs. Sets would raise perhaps?

On turn I have an OESD, so I semi-bluff/block bet low to see if he raises.

On river I'm leaning towards being beat by a higher pair, but he could have missed a flush draw and bluffed as well. I've called more out of curiosity to analyse the hand later :)

How would you put opp on ranges, and played? Thanks a lot!

Old
Wed May 15, 2013, 06:59 PM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2011
I wouldn't normally open 22 in this position, as it's a little early for me, but many winning players do. In zoom games (which are nittier than regular tables) villains will fast fold often, so you pick up the blinds.

As played, you're called by the button. I like c-betting here. It's possible that he flopped the nut straight, a set, an overpair, or a flush draw, but most unpaired overcard hands are folding, so you have a fairly good chance of taking it down on the flop. I think he's always calling with 66 and 55 (gutshot plus pair), so I really hate the turn card, as those hands just made a set or a straight.
I'd be giving up here basically always. Barrelling looks spewy to me. Your bet-size is weird too. While I understand the principle of blocking bets, I save them for the river. When you bet small here, you look weak, which can induce villain to bluff you off your hand. It also means he can call with all his draws, because the price is cheap. So your bet isn't a great good value bet, but it's also not a great bluff. It's neither here nor there.
What hands that you beat are realistically still in the pot on the turn? About the only ones are high flush draws. There aren't any good river cards for you. Every card will either make a flush possible, or pair the board to put boats/quads on the agenda, complete another straight, or be a Broadway card that could improve villain to top pair with his flush draw.
The actual river doesn't make a flush, but the paired board usually either completes villain's boat/quads, or doesn't scare his one pair hand.
You can check to induce a bluff by hands like JThh, and then snap it off, but I wouldn't call a big bet here.
If I'm going to barrel like this, I'd pick a villain that has a fold button, and I'd make my bets larger. For villain to show up with AQs in the wrong suit is just crazy. I guess he called the turn because you bet so small. If he'd made a pair here, you'd be pretty sick. I think you can remove that possibility by betting bigger on both the flop and the turn.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu May 16, 2013, 02:33 PM
(#3)
Since: Apr 2013
Hey Arty, thanks for the detailed evaluation. Let me check if I understand my mistakes correctly.

Rough range of button preflop call would be (excluding 2.5% 3-bet) e.g.:
- pairs JJ-22
- broadway JT+
- connectors 76s+
Flop. Equilab tells me out of his 204 hands on this flop only 63 would have a gutshot draw or better, so c-bet makes sense as the other hands have a good chance to fold out. Bet bigger i.e. 60% pot?

Turn.
- I could bluff representing e.g. a set or a straight with 66, but then I'd need to make a solid bet for him to take it seriously. Say 90% pot? He would not fold straight/set which is 21/60 remaining hands, but if he folds the overpairs/bigger pairs (27/60) the bluff might make sense.
- There are only 12/60 hands I beat, and most river cards will improve at least some of them, so I won't know where I stand OOP. But even if I bet for value I still should bet bigger to give wrong odds to the flush draws. E.g. 40% pot?
- Best to check/fold with all this in mind

River.
- Sorry I didn't get this part. How would I tell bluff from a value bet again?

Thanks again, I've got a lot to learn.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com