Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

2NL Zoom, AA, missed value?

Old
2NL Zoom, AA, missed value? - Wed May 15, 2013, 06:44 PM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2013
Rarely do I play aces this passively, or indeed any hand. However, I've had them cracked twice today for big losses, so I was (perhaps overly) cautious here. When my opponent check-called the turn, I was fairly certain of their hand, but the river card scared me enough not to make a value bet. How should I have played this?

Old
Wed May 15, 2013, 11:00 PM
(#2)
Since: Apr 2012
The OR opens to 4x which I'm going to take as a sign of strength, but even any open I'm going to 3-bet (and hope to get to 5-bet) with Aces 100% of the time here. Not a fan of slow playing monsters regardless of how often they've been cracked lately. The only, rare, occasion I flat Aces is when I have a known uber aggressive villain on my left that I want to induce action from, but in Zoom this isn't going to be a factor.

As the action went, the villain would probably play his spade flush draws in a similar way so betting the river would be dangerous as it leaves it open for him to come over the top (if he has it or not). Also if you feel like you should have raise on the flop I don't feel that accomplishes much as to get action from worse hands you have to hope he has QQ or KK, in which case the 3-bet, 5-bet pre was a better way to get it in. So with that in mind I don't think you're getting any more value than you did.

Tournament of Champions Winner 2013

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed May 15, 2013, 11:20 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi Aeolian,

Although you don't provide any reads or info on the villain, you are definitely missing value, starting with preflop. You have the best starting hand in the best position, 3-bet to about .22c here imo, more if V7 is a loose-bad player.

Flop call is fine, it keeps in V7's unpaired big cards which are in terrible shape, and limits our exposure if V2 hit the board.

Turn bet is good, when he check-calls I expect V7 to have 99/88, JJ-KK a lot, showdown value that is scared you may have a ten.

When he checks the river we should use our positional advantage to make good on this information and value bet again imo. Force him to fold JJ-KK or pay us off.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed May 15, 2013, 11:25 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fadyen View Post
As the action went, the villain would probably play his spade flush draws in a similar way so betting the river would be dangerous as it leaves it open for him to come over the top (if he has it or not). Also if you feel like you should have raise on the flop I don't feel that accomplishes much as to get action from worse hands you have to hope he has QQ or KK, in which case the 3-bet, 5-bet pre was a better way to get it in. So with that in mind I don't think you're getting any more value than you did.
I disagree V7 would play spade draws this way. Sometimes spades would barrel the turn, sometimes check-shove, and sometimes check-call. Then sometimes they would lead out on the river if they get there after check-calling. I think it's actually a really small % of the time that the parlay comes in of him 1) having 2 spades, 2) check-calling turn, and 3) not leading river when he gets there and risking a check down.

The check-call is much more likely to be JJ-KK scared of the board. I think we are leaving a lot of value on the table not betting this river in position as played.

Also of note is the villain only has a pot sized bet left, which means if we had 3b pre like we should have, I can't see how we don't get stacks in before the river (either preflop or on the flop or turn), making the whole problem moot.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com