Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Live Game Sweats and Online Tournaments / Skill League /

Too many suck outs in OSL this month so far..

Old
Too many suck outs in OSL this month so far.. - Thu May 16, 2013, 02:03 PM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2013
Hi,

I've been playing OSL everyday now, and my rank range has been between 20-50 on average. I've had a lot less good tourneys than bad ones...

And this really sucks because I've had a lot of bad beats. I mean, I'm aiming for the top spots this month and I know I still have like 14 days to adjust, but how can I possibly keep getting sucked out like 3 out of 4 tourneys I play.

For instance, I have AAs, I shove pre-flop to go heads up against a caller with K 9, and of course the flop is K 7 5, then a K on the turn. Pocket QQs, I raise preflop, heads up against a caller with 4 7.. flop is 7 8 6, turn is a 7. KKs preflop, I raise, heads up against A 9 (I have 70% equity) and of course, he hits an ace (those are just some of the bad beats or unlucky situations) etc.

I know variance and bad beats are part of poker, and I accept them, but how am I supposed to grind my way to the top while getting bad beats very often.

I've seen how players on top of the leaderboard play, and their strategy, mine is pretty much the same, time banking and playing very good hands, except they're running better than I am at the moment.

I'm not going to give up yet, and I'm not going on tilt either, but I'm trying to make the best out of this month and I need some advice if possible.

Regards,

Teekho

Old
Thu May 16, 2013, 03:20 PM
(#2)
Since: Jan 2013
Theres not really a thing you can do about it but on that flop where villain had trips 7s you could check the turn and if he went all in you could fold, i guess you want all in.

Im aiming for top 500 to get in the premier league the only way your getting to the top of the open is if you play every game and get a nice run of good luck vs these players.

Thats just my thought on the matter but i havent been around poker 5mins yet so im still learning myself.

Last edited by mike2198; Thu May 16, 2013 at 03:23 PM..

Old
Thu May 16, 2013, 04:33 PM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeKho View Post
I know variance and bad beats are part of poker, and I accept them, but how am I supposed to grind my way to the top while getting bad beats very often.
I mean this in the nicest possible way, but everyone experiences bad beats and suckouts. You're not a special case. The "Poker Gods" (if they really existed) aren't picking on you, although it might feel like that. You simply just have to accept that luck plays a role in poker. Some days, weeks, or even months, you just won't be very lucky. Everyone has downswings. There's nothing you can do to change your luck, so you just have to accept it, and maintain a level of mental toughness that allows you to keep making good decisions.

If you posted the actual hand histories it may become evident that you played in a way that allowed villains to suck out cheaply, but if you got your money in when you were the favourite, then you did just fine.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun May 26, 2013, 01:47 PM
(#4)
Since: May 2013
SilverStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtySmokesPS View Post
I mean this in the nicest possible way, but everyone experiences bad beats and suckouts. You're not a special case. The "Poker Gods" (if they really existed) aren't picking on you, although it might feel like that. You simply just have to accept that luck plays a role in poker. Some days, weeks, or even months, you just won't be very lucky. Everyone has downswings. There's nothing you can do to change your luck, so you just have to accept it, and maintain a level of mental toughness that allows you to keep making good decisions.

If you posted the actual hand histories it may become evident that you played in a way that allowed villains to suck out cheaply, but if you got your money in when you were the favourite, then you did just fine.

No I definitely agree about the suckouts. I'be been affected by them as well as I've seen some pretty ridiculous sequences just observing others go against each other. Happens a lot and it's too predictable, I MEAN WAY TO PREDICTABLE. Also sad seeing that 1 person at the table just call with any 2 cards against anyone at the table no matter what. They can be wayyyy behind only have 1 out in the deck and etc and they still hit it. You can disagree with me or rational it anyway you want but it's not poker, it's bingo. You have all these players paying good but in the end it doesn't matter you can do much and the way you can play at these tournies is very limited because of the outcomes.

Anyways, GL. I'm hoping I can break that 2000 rank mark today considering I started playing very late this month and haven't gotten many tournies in.

Old
Sun May 26, 2013, 02:54 PM
(#5)
Since: Oct 2011
If it was "way too predictable", you'd be able to predict the outcome of hands, so you'd be able to play perfectly and win every tournament. It's clearly NOT predictable. It's random.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun May 26, 2013, 03:12 PM
(#6)
Since: May 2013
SilverStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtySmokesPS View Post
If it was "way too predictable", you'd be able to predict the outcome of hands, so you'd be able to play perfectly and win every tournament. It's clearly NOT predictable. It's random.
No, I didn't mean it like that Arty. I meant that it's predictable that these people who I was talking about will hit anything they call with cuz that's what i've been seeing and what buddy said about making it hard to grind and win when that's always happening. I accept variance and bad beats in poker but you can't play properly at all cuz no matter what they are sucking out and end up winning. You can play "perfectly" like you said arty but it still wouldn't matter LOL. Like I said it's bingo.

P.S. When I mean they call everything.... THEY CALL EVERYTHING. Doesn't matter who raises or what it is these calling stations call and hit so I get what the guy who started this thread is saying because I've been experiencing/seeing people at my tables experience the SAME THING! Anyways like he said nothing you can do but keep playing.

Cheers

Old
Tue Jun 11, 2013, 03:01 PM
(#7)
Since: Apr 2013
Hey, I ended up finishing 33rd on the leaderboard, I felt like wasting a whole month on 10$.. but honestly, I'm going to be playing Premier next month and from what I've seen.. it's way better than OSL, people actually respect your raises, makes the game more playable on a higher level. Definitely playing this next month, already got my 150+ VPPs. And yeah, I've come to a conclusion about OSL, it's not really skill about this league, it's this simple strategy you have to follow and hope for the best...

Old
Tue Jul 30, 2013, 10:57 AM
(#8)
Since: May 2012
Think yourself lucky that your are managing to isolate with your raises - I'm getting bored making decent opening raises then having to set mine with QQ when I get 4 callers mid-game. Suck up the bad beats and keep getting your money in good but all big field tournaments require a fair amount of luck on top of your skill edge.

Today's (sickening) bad beat example..
Just crashed out with KK (again) when 80BB opens UTG+1 to 3BB with 55, 1 over caller 25BB with KQo, I shove 27BB KK, 50BB to my left cold calls with A6o(!!), OR 55 and also OC QKo also call(!!?). Flop comes A52 - goodnight. This was the final 10% stage of the tournament and would have hoped the people left would have half a clue how to play. I just don't get what these folks were thinking (are they thinking??).

Maybe OR put me on a resteal and getting 2:1 on his call, but he flipping against vs 2 players (possibly 3) and not even in great shape against my range if I was restealing (which I rarely do in these oh-so cally bingo-fests) and way too shallow to set mine in a 3 bet pot with stacks around table.

A6o cold calling with OR still to react and covering him - just madness?? So glad this guy got burned post flop, how did he make it this far?

Maybe KQo felt priced in but gambling big time with his tourney life.

LOL "Skill" League..

Last edited by tammielad; Tue Jul 30, 2013 at 11:01 AM..

Old
Tue Jul 30, 2013, 05:27 PM
(#9)
Since: Apr 2012
Hello tammielad,

Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline. Here's a short video about PSO and what it has to offer you. Also check out >>This Page<< for more info.

The OSL certainly is a tough kind of game and can be pretty testing but once you get the strategy down the results get more consistent.

We're here to help you so please feel free to ask any questions you may have and thank you for being a member of PokerSchoolOnline.

Chris

Tournament of Champions Winner 2013

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com