Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

[JK] Bankroll Builder

Old
[JK] Bankroll Builder - Thu May 16, 2013, 03:19 PM
(#1)
Since: May 2013
Hello.

I was wondering whether I'm eligible for Bankroll Build Promotion

Thank you.

Last edited by HN93; Thu May 16, 2013 at 03:33 PM..

Old
Thu May 16, 2013, 04:27 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Be sure to read THIS just to be be sure of exactly what's on offer with the Bankroll Builder promotion.

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion. Please check back this time tomorrow!

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschoolonline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu May 16, 2013, 06:26 PM
(#3)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hello HN93,

You are eligible for the Bankroll Builder promotion, good job!

NB: Bookmark this page so that you'll find it easily in the future

First Step

Watch the following video and pay special attention to the tips on retrieving and saving your hand history from PokerStars. This will be important for the rest of your promotional journey.

After wacthing this please play some PLAY MONEY FULL-RING (9-Handed) tables at PokerStars and using the Hand Replayer post a hand here in this thread that you have questions about.

Here is a video on how to use the hand replayer.

Then when you have that done please have a go at the Poker Basic Course and pass the quiz at the end of the course.

So you have 3 steps to do to begin with and when you have all 3 done we will award you with your first bonus.

1) Watch the 'Getting Started' video
2) Post a 'PLAY MONEY' hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer
3) Pass the Poker Basic course.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 steps completed.

Best of Luck!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
bad - Thu May 16, 2013, 07:26 PM
(#4)
Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

Did I play wrong?
and is it worth playing nonsuited 2-6, 3-7, 4-8, 5-9, 6-10 often?
or should I try to avoid it?

Last edited by HN93; Thu May 16, 2013 at 07:45 PM..

Old
Thu May 16, 2013, 08:59 PM
(#5)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi HN93!

With 69s from the BB, I get 6 limps in front of me. I'm happy to see the flop for free, but if I had to call a raise, I would immediately muck, as this is not a good hand. When playing from out of position, I only want to be playing strong hands and nothing marginal or worse.

I flop trips and when it's checked to me, I will make my standard value bet for 4 or more opps in the pot and will size it at a pot-sized bet of 14. I want to keep all of my bets standard, as this keeps the opps guessing as to which cards I'm playing. Many players bet more or less depending on their cards and the ones that do are basically turning their cards face-up to an observant opponent.

The turn completes the club flush draw, which can be a problem. With only 2 opps left now, I will make one last attempt to win the pot (unless my hand improves) and bet 2/3 the size of the pot (69 chips).

The river pairs the K, which is another huge problem, as now I can be beat by a larger full house if any opp has a K, which they easily could have. I will check here and hope to get to showdown cheaply. If the opp makes a small bet (less than 1/2 pot), I will call. If they bet more than this, I need to muck.
When they make a pot-sized bet, I definitely need to muck here.
-------------
When playing a ring game, one tip is to always wait until the BB to start playing. Paying extra blinds to start playing immediately is a HUGE drain to a bankroll and something that I absolutely want to avoid.

With K5o, I'd like to muck my trash hand here, but since the blind was posted, I will check and hope to get a free flop. If anyone raises, I'm mucking.

I want to be putting my chips into the pot when I'm ahead, not when I'm behind, so all of the trash hands that are listed are instant mucks for me from any position to any bet. Just because I have an A or suited cards, I do not want to be playing them if the hand is not strong enough for the position I'm in.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

P.S. Please let me know when you have watched the video and passed the Basics quiz.

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
quiz finished - Sat May 18, 2013, 01:21 AM
(#6)
Hello.
I've completed all 3steps

Thanks!

------------------------------

I had problem with this match.
Was I suppose to follow or fold?
Villain 7 was pretty aggressive player and I played passively before.
and I was worried someone would have two pair or flush at the end

Is it ok to bet eventhough I only have a pair?
Did I play wrong? or was I suppose to bet more?
In the end I was lucky and won but the way they were betting didn't look like bluff so I was worried...

what should I do if I have 2nd best pair after flop?
should I play A/6,A/5, A/4,(often unsuited or suited) or should I throw away?
and also when nobody raised, is it ok to call with weak hand to check the flop in case it is very lucky?

------------

eww...
It was my first weekly round2 I was nervous and I played really awfully;
prior to this match 2people allined from the very start of game which one person lost from allin & one which everyone folded and I played really wrong when it came to this which I usually wouldn't have done...

I knew I had very bad hand but I thought the opponent was a bit far from straight from his weak betting(which could have been a trap...) and I had highest pair of 5 in the flop(which could have been beated easily if I think now) unless he had 2pair or 3card which seemed unlikely.
(I thought his hand were A/2 or non paired hand above 10... which I could have beated him with 5pair if he had 2pair or straight if we found 4) and

I thought maybe he was aiming for flush or strong hands with no-pair. He betted pretty low($50 compare to previous $150) on the turn so he wanted to lure out more bets from me which he did or perhaps he wanted to check the last card with cheap price)

well it was awful because he could have made either way even if he were aiming for flush or pair Q... even if he were not 3-7 2paired...

I should have stopped when I betted $500... thought he had really bad hand and tried to bluff him into thinking that I had straight before going to showdown

wasn't really intended to go allout at the very beginning of the game but somehow I was unable to stop my self and should have known early I was bad at holdem (made ticket with 2-razz games and 1-5card draw and was constantly losing early in the holdem freeroll)

To think now, I guess he could have easily guessed straight would be unlikely without 4 before the river
(feels shamed )

and more advices would be very thanksful.

Last edited by HN93; Sat May 18, 2013 at 11:03 AM..

Old
Sat May 18, 2013, 10:15 AM
(#7)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi HN93!

These look like tourney hands. If so, what type of tourney are they from, as the different types of tourneys have different strategies, which can also be totally different from cash games. As soon as you let me know, I'll gladly go thru them for you.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat May 18, 2013, 10:44 AM
(#8)
except for the last one it was all freeroll ticket game to weekly round2 (which I never made far to ticket...)

and last one was the weekly round2

---------------
well I think I was pretty lucky on the all the winning games that were posted above which also could have gone bad.

prior to yesterday I only played very strong hands or made hand but were constantly getting defeated when
I went to all-in on the later game. somehow yesterday's push/keep betting/bluff tactic kept me winning (which eventually failed later but looked very successful on the early game prior to this) and tried to use it on the weekly round2 tourney too but failed big time.

Last edited by HN93; Sat May 18, 2013 at 10:58 AM..

Old
Sat May 18, 2013, 11:09 AM
(#9)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi HN93!

With AJ on the button, I will make a standard raise, which is to 3BB+1BB for each limper. I do NOT want to raise less, as this will give the opps the correct odds to try to outdraw me. With 3 limpers, I will raise to 240.

I flop top pair and now I get a bet of 360 and a call. This seems to me like it's either A/rag that hit 2 pair or a set from one of the two, as AQ or AK should have raised preflop. I'm going to muck AJ here, as I can easily be way behind or drawing dead.
----------
With A2 from the SB, I'm mucking this preflop. Calling here, then checking is a very weak play that is a large chip leak and therefore, something that I do not want to do.
-----------
With KQ from MP, I need to either raise to 600 (3X the opp's raise) or fold here. Anything in-between invites the opps into the hand which is something that I do not want to do.

When I hit top pair here, due to the number of opps in the hand, I need to make a pot-sized raise here to 1800, BUT, this is over 1/3 of my stack, so I need to shove the flop. Anything less than a pot-sized raise gives the opps the correct odds to draw and if I do so and lose, I deserve to lose the hand, since I made a play where the opp expects to gain chips, instead of me.
---------------
A5s from the BB is a muck preflop for me to a raise. I'm out of position with nowhere near a strong enough hand to call a raise. This is another large chip leak.
If I see top pair, I need to make a pot-sized bet on the flop due to the large number of opps in the hand. Smaller bets are nothing but a problem here, as I'd be giving the opps the correct odds to outdraw me, if they're not ahead already.
-------------
A3o is not a good hand and especially from out of position, needs to be immediately mucked preflop. Limping with bad hands is just handing chips to the opps.
------------------
56 from the button, I'm either making a standard raise to 3BB+1BB for each limper or folding preflop (much more folds than raises here).
If I see I hit top pair, I need to make a 2/3 pot raise to 112 chips. I want to keep all of my bets and raises standard, so that the opps are continually guessing as to the strength of my hand. 2/3 is my standard post-flop value bet size for two opps in the hand.
On the turn, I need to raise by 1/2 pot (raise to 273 chips), which is my standard value bet for one opp in the hand. If I bet less, the opp can bet getting the correct odds to outdraw me.
When I get raised, I need to muck, as I cannot beat an opp with a 7 or an overpair.

I want to make all of my post-flop bets based on the board texture, number of opps and most improtantly, the size of the pot. These are the keys with post-flop bets and being sure that the opps that call my bets are making negative plays (plays where I expect to gain chips).

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat May 18, 2013, 11:21 AM
(#10)
Hello.
Thanks for your advice. It's a great help.
All my posted moves looks pretty bad
I should have noticed if I thought carefully...

oh and also
If you get only one pair on the flop and when the one pair isn't the highest card on the board(usually 2nd) and when opponent calls or raise what should I do? should I just check/fold when opponent raises next?

Thanks!

-------------------------
by the way
I finished all 3steps
Thanks!

Last edited by HN93; Sat May 18, 2013 at 11:36 AM..

Old
Sat May 18, 2013, 12:05 PM
(#11)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
With 2nd pair (or any one pair against a tight opp), I'm much more often than not fold to a raise. The only way I'd call is if the opp is a total maniac.

With 2nd pair, if I bet the flop and the opp calls... I'm not putting another chip into the pot unless my hand improves.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat May 18, 2013, 12:15 PM
(#12)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Brilliant HN93!

You've done all 3 tasks and you'll get your first bonus in the next 24 hours, good job!

Step Two

Use your first buy-in to only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Post one hand that you had difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze it for you.

Please watch the following video and answer the question below.

List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?

Then study the Cash Game course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

So you have 3 things to do to earn your next bonus.

1) Play the 1/2 cent Real Money tables and post an interesting hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer.
2) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.
3) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 tasks complete and we will award you with your next buy-in.

Best of Luck!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat May 18, 2013, 12:38 PM
(#13)
1. Thanks for the advice.

some tournament, blind goes up too quick
and big blind reaches almost 10% - 20% of the pot.
and unless I win big pot on the early stage, it's very hard to make betting even though I have pretty strong hand.

Is tight aggressive style is only way to escape this problem?
and should I wait for the nuts? or if I have pretty decent hand should I call BB if no one raises?
The problem is person with big bankroll is constantly raising til I all in even though I have seemingly decent hand(2pair) on the flop.

most of time when I all in when I sees decent hand on the flop, the opponent with big bankroll most of time calls and really lucky on the turn and river and gets 3card or something better than mine eventhough before the turn it wasn't good enough to beat mine...

--------------------------------------------

I know it wasn't a good card to bet but the blind was small enough so I called to see the flop.
But
Should I have folded when before opponent betted $500?
pot size was very small compare to opponent's bet and didn't really think it was worth the risk but wanted to see the next card for possible straight.
after the turn, opponent betted all-in and possible straight & flush but low possibility
I was lucky in the end and won, but was it really worth the risk?
to think now, it looks like pretty bad move

I called because it was freeroll tournament, but
should I have folded in the real match?
I think if this was real money game I think it's very hard decision to make...
and don't want to have a bad habit from playing free roll tournament...

what do you think? was it worth the risk? or not worth it?
I think if this was real money game I think I should have folded when opponent betted $500
------------------
3. Is it worth playing pocket pair below 7? when opponent raises. probably 10% -20% of the bankroll.

Only 2 final player remaining on the table
and what if I betted 10% of my bankroll with 9/9
and flop is 10/2/5 and the opponent check and I call,
and it becomes 10/2/5/8 but opponent all ins?

Last edited by HN93; Sat May 18, 2013 at 01:14 PM..

Old
Sat May 18, 2013, 01:14 PM
(#14)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi HN93!

The BB size vs the pot is really pretty irrelevant. What is more important is how many BB's we have in our stack. I then adjust my plays based on the number of BB's in my stack.

Playing passively (calling all the time) is not a way to do well in tourneys, as you'll never be able to accumulate chips consistantly.

The way that I try to look at it is... if the hand isn't worth raising with, I'm mucking it the overwhelming majority of the time. With 78s here on the button, depending on how the opps are acting, I could raise, call or fold and it will depend on my read of the opps as to which I'll do. If I think anyone would re-raise me, I will not raise, even though I would like to be facing less opps in the hand.

If I do play the hand, with 3 opps in the hand, I cannot bet less than 3/4 pot on the flop. I need to check or bet 3/4 pot and if I think that the opps will not fold, I'm checking and seeing a free turn card since I have nothing but a draw.
Bets that look out of line (something here not a check nor 3/4 pot are normally a bluff or an opp telling the opps.. I have a draw and want to be priced in). An observant opp will definitely take advantage of this and make a large enough raise to price out the draw... and if the player with the draw calls this raise, the will expect to LOSE chips every time they do so. The player with the draw should NOT call any bet over 16% of the pot (as from the rule of 4 and 2, each of their outs is worth 2% to the turn). Calling 500 here is WAY over 16%, so should be an easy muck.

Yes, players can chase and get lucky, but this is a losing proposition over time, as they will lose many more chips than they will ever win, which will put them to the rail.

What you can look at is the stats tab to see how many flops you are playing. My goal is to aim for 20% total with the lowest % being the SB. Any % well over 20% says that a player is playing way too many hands and needs to learn to fold more often.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat May 18, 2013, 01:15 PM
(#15)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
If I play a mid/small pocket pair and do NOT hit a set on the flop.... check/fold. My preflop bet will always be a standard raise there.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue May 21, 2013, 04:20 AM
(#16)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Hello,

So you have 3 things to do to earn your next bonus.

1) Play the 1/2 cent Real Money tables and post an interesting hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer.
2) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.
3) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 tasks complete and we will award you with your next buy-in.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jun 02, 2013, 01:19 PM
(#17)
Hello.

I did the first one... I played really badly.

Last edited by HN93; Sun Jun 02, 2013 at 04:26 PM..

Old
Sun Jun 02, 2013, 07:44 PM
(#18)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi HN93! I'll take a look at this one.

At first glance, I can see you made two mistakes in this hand, got extremely lucky on the flop, and then ridiculously unlucky once all the money was in the middle.

Pre-flop, facing a raise when you have QJ offsuit in middle position, you should always be folding. This hand is one of several "trouble hands" that tends to occasionally win small pots, but often loses big ones. QJ is dominated by big pairs and hands like AQ, AJ and KQ. It just won't be profitable in the long run to call raises with this hand. I've written more about the hands you can call raises with on my blog.
With QJ, I'd generally only play in late position, sometimes opening for a raise to try and steal the blinds, and occasionally over-limping (just calling the big blind) if there are a couple of limpers already in the pot. I definitely don't want to play this hand if I'm quite short-stacked. If you're playing a speculative hand, you need deeper stacks to get maximum value when you flop a rare monster.
It's a very big mistake to call when there is a re-raise. When the SB makes the 3-bet, he's repping a monster hand. QJ is crushed by the typical 3-bet range of QQ+ and AK, and it's a huge mistake to put a third of your stack in the middle with this hand, as most of the time you'll miss the flop and have to fold to a c-bet.
As played, you flop a miracle: the nut straight. Getting the rest of your stack in when villain makes his c-bet is clearly the right play. The way the board runs out is incredible. It's not often you'll lose to a runner-runner full house, but of course suckouts have to happen sometimes, just due to random luck.
Ultimately you suffered a bad beat, as you got your chips in with the nuts, but really you should never have been seeing the flop in the first place. In future, try and be more disciplined with your pre-flop hand selection. Try not to call raises very often. It's far better to be the pre-flop raiser. If your hand isn't good enough to raise with, then it's often best to fold.

Hope this helps!
Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Jun 03, 2013, 06:59 AM
(#19)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Brilliant!

Let us know as soon as you pass the Cash Game course and we'll get your next bonus to you

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com