Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Off-Topic Discussions /

Who doesn't hate Hellmuth... i mean 10-5...for real

Old
Who doesn't hate Hellmuth... i mean 10-5...for real - Fri May 17, 2013, 02:36 AM
(#1)
Since: May 2013

Old
worst aspect of poker - Fri May 17, 2013, 03:00 AM
(#2)
Since: Feb 2013
BronzeStar
It is the WORST aspect of poker, that to be the most successful poker player
you have to be the most rude player there is,
it is the biggest downfall of poker, that such a RUDE and obnoxious person is the best player.

Poker is about deception, and so, it involves distracting someone and getting them out of their comfort zone.
It is a real shame that the most successful person is Helmuth, he is an embarrassment to poker.

It would be SO much nicer if the;
silence of Ivey or the
comedy of Negraneau, or even the,
analysis of ferguson was the most successful player
or the sexiness of Tyler ( et al )

The fact is, that being RUDE like Helmuth gets you the most wins,

He is the biggest embarrassment and MUD of the face of poker.

but that's life,,, if you want to be the best, be an annoying pouty rude brat.
there is nothing more annoying
that IS why he is the biggest winner, because he is the biggest wiener
He is a rude brat and the biggest jerk in poker.

It just hurts poker.

It brings up the question
say for, a small number,, like $500k or $1mm
Would you like the money if you were going to be hated around the world?

Old
Fri May 17, 2013, 07:15 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by snizz812 View Post

It brings up the question
say for, a small number,, like $500k or $1mm
Would you like the money if you were going to be hated around the world?
In a heartbeat.

Old
Fri May 17, 2013, 08:09 AM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2011
I like Hellmuth. He's good for the game. I could do without his Grand Entrances at the WSOP, but he's been one of the most entertaining figures in poker for years. If poker is to be a popular spectator sport and attract more casual players (to make it more profitable for mortals like me), then poker needs personalities.

Let's just say I'd rather watch a Hellmuth blow-up, than see Justin Bonomo stacking his chips like an automaton.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri May 17, 2013, 08:17 AM
(#5)
Since: Jul 2011
Hi UGotNuthin

Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Here is a link to help familiarize you with all the features and services available at PSO. Feel free to look around the forum and post any comments or questions you may have.

You are invited to join the PokerSchoolOnline Community Home Games Club. Information on how to join the club may be found here.

As for the Helmuth debate I'm with Arty not only does he attract casual players to play the game but he makes it fun for us to watch. I love his outburts, blow ups and grand entrances. Put him at a table with Tony G and just sit and wait for the fireworks to start, great TV imo. I'd recommend listening to his 2p2 pokercast interview, it was really interesting and he showed he's a normal guy if not a little eccentric.

Good luck at the tables!

Oliver

Follow me on: Twitter

Old
Fri May 17, 2013, 08:25 AM
(#6)
Since: Apr 2011
I like Hellmuth too, he just plays with alot of emotion, & can be over emotional LOL
(maybe thats why he gets sucked out sometimes, on cash games he gives away too many reads?)
PS; I just finished watchin(NZ TV) Big Game, & Tony G & Helmuth were at it, funny to watch

Last edited by 0HighTimes0; Fri May 17, 2013 at 08:32 AM..

Old
Fri May 17, 2013, 08:33 AM
(#7)
Since: Nov 2011
Hellmuth is pure class, even with his roman costume.

He has won more than most, and no one can take that away.

There is only so many greats, he his one.

The rest are boring and should just give up trying to get on the tele to bore us to death.

Liven up you miserable players. You can talk at the tables.

Old
Fri May 17, 2013, 09:34 AM
(#8)
Since: Mar 2013
Has anyone ever seen him with that swollen eye he had a while back? Anybody know what how he ended up like that? I wonder if it was the first time that happened to him. Just throwing that out there.

Old
Fri May 17, 2013, 10:20 AM
(#9)
Since: Jun 2010
I like him.

He plays with emotion, and is invested in his poker as you can tell from the outbursts.

Yes he is full of him self but I have to agree he has proved it to be true.

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri May 17, 2013, 10:49 AM
(#10)
Since: Feb 2011
BronzeStar
While I agree he doesn't represent the poker world in the classiest way, he makes for some good TV. I think his persona is largely an act. It's not like he comes across as a bad person or anything.... just a big baby haha. What I really love is watching him play cash, because he kind of sucks relative to the players he usually sits with. Same is not true for tournaments though.

First poker book I ever read was one of his. Not the best book in the world, but it was a good beginner's book and I was happy to have read it. I think Hellmuth is the man and it would make my day if I ever got to sit at a poker table with him and maybe take a picture. It would be like meeting your favorite actor while in character as your favorite villain from your favorite movie. It would be great!

Old
Sat May 18, 2013, 09:50 PM
(#11)
Since: Feb 2013
BronzeStar
NO question, he makes for great TV

I only wanted to say,
would you like to play someone, who beats you by pissing you off.

The whole concept of, to be a better player, is to mimic and copy the best.
Would you like to play poker if ever beginner was not only having outbursts (that you would laugh at on tv )
but outbursts in such a fashion as they bothered you in play and thus you lost because you were bothered.

Helmuth IS, a most excellent player,
there are MANY other Great players.

I just wish a player with a different unique attribute than being a 'brat'
was the most winningest player,
I wouldn't mind at all if he was the 10 most winning player.

It is like watching Tiger woods, MOPE down the fairway as he makes $80mm a year
sure, he is IN his game, and emotional, and TRULY the greatest player ever
but,, wouldn't a smile ADD to enjoying watching him play.

His play,, is outstanding, so is Helmuth's
I just wish a different aspect of poker, had turned out to be THE most successful personality attribute.
Like,, math, or gambling or aggression or happy, or quiet or bluffing, or anything OTHER than being a brat

He IS fun to 'watch'
He is a excellent player
even,
He IS the greatest poker player ever.

it is just a shame,
I think,, he has been trying to CLEAN his brat image,
now that he is the world's leading winner
one more, and you will see a polite HAPPY Phil.

He has the money and the wins, he doesn't need to be a BRAT anymore
now,, he can have his ego, and pride on a number on his hat.

Old
Mon May 20, 2013, 11:02 AM
(#12)
I think sometimes, Hellmuth is acting up, trying to make it look like he's steaming, when he's actually doing just fine. But in this clip, he's definitely super-tilted. And hilarious!

Hellmuth: "He called a raise with a queen and a ten!"
Levy: "It was an aggressive call".
Hellmuth: "Idiot players call a raise with QT, they don't even know how to spell poker."

(Levy actually played the hand perfectly)

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed May 22, 2013, 10:10 AM
(#13)
Since: Nov 2012
Phil needs to join Team Pokerstars, that would be so hilarous him playing vs all these fish and blowing up would be better than anything that I'm watching on TV right now

Old
Wed May 22, 2013, 01:30 PM
(#14)
Hellmuth may be the most successful "tournament" player, but he is just another ring player. There are several who are better all around than him.

Old
Sat Jul 20, 2013, 08:40 PM
(#15)
Since: Jul 2013
BronzeStar
How do you grade a great player? If its only based on winnings then all it would take is Bill Gates and Warren Buffet playing one round of billion dollar buy in for one of them to emphatically hold the title for a damn long time.
He may be a winner at poker but I wouldn't buy him a beer (and a whiskey if it was Brunson) if I met him at a bar like I would many other pros.

Old
Sun Jul 21, 2013, 11:26 AM
(#16)
Since: Apr 2012
I happen to love Hellmuth. I think he brings something to the game and you really can't argue that he's a great tournament player with 13 bracelets over 24 years. In part I think his blow-ups are just his way of dealing with tilt and they're pretty funny to watch. I certainly think if I was ever at his table and he went crazy I'd just laugh it off and not let it affect me. That said he has mellowed quite a bit over the last year or two. And I think it has a lot to do with him winning those 2 bracelets, now he's well ahead of the rest of the greats and he feels pretty comfortable about his record. I'm pretty sure a lot of his outbursts and extravagant displays are a lot to do with the pressure he feels to be the best. He has a big ego like a lot of players and I think actually it gets to him. He feels the need to prove he's the best and if he does badly in a tourney he has outbursts kind of to show it's not his fault he didn't win, it was some "idiot from northern Europe" who played badly and got lucky. Also I've heard away from the tables he's a pretty decent guy. I like him.

Tournament of Champions Winner 2013

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jul 21, 2013, 06:14 PM
(#17)
Since: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0HighTimes0 View Post
I like Hellmuth too, he just plays with alot of emotion, & can be over emotional LOL
(maybe thats why he gets sucked out sometimes, on cash games he gives away too many reads?)
PS; I just finished watchin(NZ TV) Big Game, & Tony G & Helmuth were at it, funny to watch
Get Hellmuth and Tony G at the same table, and you can pretty much forget about the poker. I'd watch just to see them go at each other!

Anyone else had his attitude, I'd dismiss them as an arrogant little you-know-what, but Hellmuth does it in such an entertaining way.

'Cause I have done it before and I can do it some more I got my eye on the score'

Old
Mon Jul 22, 2013, 08:16 AM
(#18)
BronzeStar
Love Hellmuth, as bad is his etiquette is on occasion, you can't help but sympathise with him imo. Tony G, on the other hand (who for the record, I do think is hilarious) is just an out and out asshole. Phil lets his emotions get the better of him. The one thing he should tone down is his ego, for one, it'd make him a better player. It's definitely a big part of why he always gets crushed when he plays huge TV cash games (similar to Negreanu) he trys to outplay and thinks people are "making moves" against him when generally speaking, they are not.

Old
Mon Jul 22, 2013, 10:13 AM
(#19)
(Head Trainer)
I mentioned this in my live training yesterday during the Sunday Special, but thought this is the perfect thread to add it.

I have long spoken about not being a fan of his poker brat persona and bad boy behavior at the tables. I think it's a disgusting way to conduct ones self, and while it certainly makes for entertaining TV, it's my opinion that it does more harm than good for poker in general, perhaps keeping more potential new players away.

Being critical about Phil's behavior at the tables, it's only fair to give him props as well when I think they are due, and they are.

I walked right into Phil at the WSOP this year during day 3 of the main event, at the entry way to the stage for the feature table, where he was preparing for his bust out interview with Kara Scott. He had just busted from the secondary feature table. I'm sure those who watch the main event on TV when it airs will see his bust out (happened before I got there, so no idea how he behaved then lol) and the subsequent interview with Kara... I was there literally right next to the camera man. Now we all know that Phil is a fierce competitor, and busting out of the main event always deflates you just a little more than any other tournament bust out (trust me, been there done that). He was clearly dejected and did not want to be there, you could see it in his face. After the interview was over, members of the crowd that had gathered around started asking Phil if they could get a picture with him. He said something to the effect of "guys, I'm feeling totally dejected right now, but I will always stop to take pictures for fans." And he stood there, put a smile on, and posed for a picture with every single person that wanted one. We hear that he's a nice guy away from the tables, but most of us don't get to see that. Well I did on day 3 this year, it was a very classy move by Phil, props to him.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Jul 22, 2013, 10:43 AM
(#20)
Since: Dec 2010
good story dave...i witnessed a similiar event...few years ago,wife & i walking back to our hotel from a show just outside parking area at aria..hellmuth was walkin quickly to limo..cars were waiting..somebody was yellin,but he stopped when a couple of older fans asked for autograph,pictures..took time to talk sign pose then run off lol....not a hellmuth fan{negraneau} but i respect his attitude...darrell

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com