Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

25NL - AK in BB after SB sqz

Old
25NL - AK in BB after SB sqz - Fri May 17, 2013, 06:56 AM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2010
Hi,

I might have misplayed this hand preflop and OTT and left me with a tuff decision OTR.

Table dynamics:
UTG: 39/35/6 (23 Hands)- this guy has been playing fairly loose and aggressive for a few orbits; his stats and stack size make me want to categorize him as a recreational player

MP: 27/23/0 (49 Hands) - looks to be an okay player but perhaps passive postflop

SB: 16/12/2 (188 Hands); 3bet 4% Sqz 8% - TAG reg

UTG opens 2.5x, MP calls, SB makes it 13bb to go.
Would you have liked a 4bet/get it in here instead?

I decided to call figuring that if the players behind me fold, I'm comfortable to be playing my hand IP against the 3bettor.

And if the SB calls it's not too bad either as I think he is on the weaker side, but if he does call then MP might be priced in to continue and we'd be playing AK OOP MW.. meh (I think 4betting is more optimal)

So it's MW and I was planning on folding to a bet on this flop, but turns out the hand was checked around.

OTT I decided to take a stab after SB checks thinking I can rep a PP and fold out small pairs, Ax, and other hands that have some equity against us. Unfortunately MP calls and he is left with less than a PSB when we hit our K.

I'm not sure if it's a good idea to put more money in OTT?

I think he can have a lot of PPs here: 55,77,88,TT,JJ we beat - we lose to 44,99 (less likely he has 66 since there are two onboard)
I'm not sure if he will call with Asxs OTT

What would you do OTR as played?
put him all in? Bet 1/3 pot and call the remaining? b/f? c/c if he shoves? c/f?

Old
Fri May 17, 2013, 10:23 AM
(#2)
Since: Mar 2012
Heys geo interesting hand!

I doubt I'll cold 4-bet for value here as V6 seems tight from his stats. There're too few hands to determine his Sqz%. It's probably only his 2nd or 3rd time squeezing right? If he 5-bets shove, do we have a clear idea whether folding or calling is better? His bet sizing seems like strength, so I don't mind flatting behind.

Turn stab was heroic haha, I'll almost never do it in a 4-way pot. When V2 and V3 called the squeeze, their range could be AK, TT+, maybe even suited connectors based on the reads. If I were executing the bluff, I'll opt to put in the minimum $ instead, not sure why you asked if you should put in more. I can't see them folding any PPs and 9x though.

OTR I'm fine bet-calling. Probably make it $15 or just ship it. Against his range of { JJ-99, 66, AKs, T9s, 98s, 76s, 65s, AKo } and backdoor flushes AsQs, AsJs, we're still a favourite. Wonder what the others will say

Last edited by TheAwesomeNW; Fri May 17, 2013 at 11:38 AM..

Old
Fri May 17, 2013, 11:02 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
Just my 2 cents

When Vil_6 raises 5x, for me that's not a normal raise, so he's trying to protect a small pair or AK. I would also call him, but when the other 2 join in, that's scary.
On the flop, I would of made a 40% pot bet, to try and eliminate players.
But as played, on the turn, with absolutely nothing, I would of checked/fold. Since you bet and he called, now I put him on AA, 44, 66, 99 and possible flush
On the river, with a possible flush, I would make a 40% bet and fold to a re-raise

Since I play tight, I would of check/fold the flop and turn and if checked by the other players to the river, then I would of made the 40% bet/fold

I'd rather make money on another hand than lose a lot on this one

Old
Fri May 17, 2013, 01:07 PM
(#4)
(Head Trainer)
Hi geo,

4-bet/get it in would be a pretty massive spew here imo. I would actually fold tbh.

I know V2 is lagging but he's opened UTG and been called by UTG+1, and the SB doesn't care, he's making a big raise from out of position. This shows massive strength. And, he's not a TAG reg, he's a nit (maybe a reg, but 16/12/2 is pretty nitty for 6m). I can't agree that his range is AK or small pairs, his range is probably JJ+ and AK. Honestly every time I see this action sequence at 25 or 50nl the nit always flips up QQ+ so from game experience I'm estimating "loose" imo when I say JJ+ and AK. Our hand plays terribly against that range and we don't close the action, so just let it go preflop. If we 4b we are just getting stacks in as a significant dog to the SB's nit range.

I think in the actual hand we got very lucky this time that he had another AK, as that's the only holding I would expect to be in his preflop range that is giving up post flop.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri May 17, 2013, 03:31 PM
(#5)
Since: Nov 2007
I would probably fold pre myself but have seen Frosty playing AK multiway in a few of his videos even to the point of shoving.

If the river had not been a spade I would feel confident that we are ahead and would have bet small with the intention of shoving any raise. With the spade though I am more wary, checking, hoping for an unlikely check behind but willing to call a small bet. I smell 78s to be honest, just hope it was not spades.

Cheers,

TC

Old
Fri May 17, 2013, 06:19 PM
(#6)
Since: Oct 2010
@ TheAwesomeNW, "Turn stab was heroic haha" lol yes.
"not sure why you asked if you should put in more." what I meant was maybe I shouldn't have taken a stab OTT

@TheLangolier, "I would actually fold tbh." Interesting! Right, they don't call it big slick for nothing
Any comments on the postflop play Dave?

Old
Fri May 17, 2013, 08:57 PM
(#7)
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAwesomeNW View Post
OTR I'm fine bet-calling. Probably make it $15 or just ship it. Against his range of { JJ-99, 66, AKs, T9s, 98s, 76s, 65s, AKo } and backdoor flushes AsQs, AsJs, we're still a favourite. Wonder what the others will say
Are you saying this is the range of hand with which he will call a shove? Be clear with your ranging... what's important in deciding to bet is what range of hands we think will call (can we get called by enough worse hands to make it profitable).

Quote:
Originally Posted by topthecat
I would probably fold pre myself but have seen Frosty playing AK multiway in a few of his videos even to the point of shoving.
Of course, sorry if I wasn't clear. I'm not saying we should fold AK every single time someone puts in a big squeeze raise. It's situationally specific, with the situation here being a nit is making the big 3b from OOP, so we can expect his range to do this AK plays poorly against.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoVARTA
Any comments on the postflop play Dave?
Flop and turn play are fine, I would probably check the river though, it seems to me it will be difficult to get called by worse hands now as the most likely worse hand calling candidates are 9x, TT, 88 type hands but if we bomb the river our hand looks a lot like spades. Since this is the LAG rec player I'd check-call.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat May 18, 2013, 01:26 AM
(#8)
Since: Mar 2012
Yup Dave that's the range I thought he'll call with if we bet. Feel that 49 hands is too little to say that he can't call with worse OTR. Maybe I'm too optimistic. Also feel that AF of 0 may mean he'll check back the River, so we're losing value from worse.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com