Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

OverCards/Double Gutter Out of Position - Lead in or not

Old
OverCards/Double Gutter Out of Position - Lead in or not - Fri May 17, 2013, 05:37 PM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2010
Not the most interesting or profitable hand ever.

Free flop gives me overcards and double straight gutshot draws 7/J on a rainbow flop.

Just wondering if it is OK/standard/not recommended to lead into a flop like this.

http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-h...486_DE023EAF5F

Opponent was loose passive. 30/2 preflop small sample 40ish hands - cant work out postflop tendencies

If I lead I am not going to win a big pot unless they do call and then I hit on later streets, but I win a little if they fold.

So might it be better to check (and call a bet) than lead to build a pot hoping to hit.

Ed

Last edited by EdinFreeMan; Fri May 17, 2013 at 05:39 PM..

Old
Fri May 17, 2013, 05:56 PM
(#2)
Since: Jan 2013
Your better off just raising 4x pre flop there they will either fold or call and fold a cbet, i never get any money out of them unless they hit a pair, you could check but if you dont hit your straight and he makes any pair and you decide to start betting hes not gonna give up his hand.

Old
Fri May 17, 2013, 07:46 PM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2011
Ed, you played this exactly as I would.
I'm always checking here and seeing the flop for free. I love leading out on ragged boards in limped pots whether I have equity or not. This board connects quite well with part of a limper's range, but it also completely misses a lot of it too. With this flop, you have quite a lot of equity, so it's not even all that bad if a villain calls on the flop. If you make a straight, you could win a big pot. If you miss out on the turn, a villain will probably give you a cheap price (or even a free card) to keep drawing, and you'll definitely have implied odds, as limpers just can't let go once they make a pair.

By checking your option and then betting the flop, you're actually risking less money than you would have if you'd made an iso-raise. It's kind of win-win.

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com