Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

10NL 6max Zoom, barreling vs TAGs on dry squeezed boards

Old
10NL 6max Zoom, barreling vs TAGs on dry squeezed boards - Sat May 18, 2013, 02:01 PM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2012
Hello

Utg villain is an unknown, utg+1 and btn are TAG regs playing VPIP:20/PFR:15/3bet:5.7 and VPIP:23/PFR:20/3bet:8.5 respectivelly.

The utg min open does not signal huge strength and 2 TAGs calling IP have most likely weaker ranges as well - their ranges should definitely not include JJ+ and AK. I hope that in this situation the squeeze with AQo is a fine play.

Our squeeze got called in only one spot - the button who I think could still be doing this with a pretty wide range given that there is already a lot of dead money in the pot, we are playing with a bit deeper stacks and he has position on us.

The board is super dry so we make a standard cbet and got called. His fold to cbet in 3b pots is 0/2 so far. If he thinks I we are not continuing with anything worse than an overpair OTT he probably also thinks he can profitably float us. Therefore I do not really like check folding the turn on a blank. Do you think boards like this are good to double and triple barrel against TAGs? If we bet something around $3 OTT and get called again do you think we can shove the river on a blank? Can we shove on a high card - J+ or do we have to give up?

Since his range preflop is most likely capped and does not include any of the premium hands it is very tempting to try and apply as much pressure as possible but I am not entirely sure if this is not just burning money at 10NL?

Thanks for the analysis

Tommy

Old
Sat May 18, 2013, 07:00 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi Tommy,

I'm not a big fan of squeezing pre here. You're making assumptions about the UTG's range because he min-raised yet he's unknown... for example, maybe he min-raises AA/KK to induce action.

Post flop the effective stack isn't really great for barreling off since you bet half the pot on the flop. Now if you bet that again the pot will be pretty big relative to what he's got left. Part of the problem with the squeeze is that it LOOKS like a squeeze, and tag regs aren't going to believe you as often and we get called down by 99 here because of it. Or get stacked by sets.

I would probably bet this flop bigger, then shut down if called. Ultimately I don't squeeze here much though when it looks obvious to thinking players, the opener is unknown, and we have a hand that will tend to only get action from better.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat May 18, 2013, 07:16 PM
(#3)
Since: Nov 2012
Uff... And I thought squeezing with this hand is super standard in a spot like this
I should probably rewatch some of the vieos about preflop aggression

Old
Sat May 18, 2013, 08:08 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
AQ plays well enough for a call vs. their ranges, especially the TAGs as we can catch them dominated with QJs and A7s type hands, but fold those out squeezing quite often. It also helps to have a read on the OR as that's our most likely action point.

You might squeeze light with hands that can't quite call profitably... would rather have A9o than AQo squeezing here as A9o it's us who gets dominated and we can't really play A9o profitably for a call, while I think I can with AQo.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com