Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Can I get value on this river?

Old
Can I get value on this river? - Sat May 18, 2013, 03:37 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2011
Unknown villain.
  • Is c-betting this = mistake?Since we get really marginal value(lower aces) and no better hands would fold.
  • Would you reraise this river?

Thanks in advance

Old
Sat May 18, 2013, 06:20 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi morduk,

I do like c-betting the flop here. While it's hard to get value from worse and better hands won't fold much, a lot of his flop calling range will be marginal 1 pair hands like small pockets... so by betting we are setting him up to fold those hands on later streets. We improve with an A or Q obviously, but can barrel a K or J as well as they improve our equity AND will be scary to most of his flop calling range. And the worse hands he folds to a flop c-bet it's ok, as he can turn good equity if we give him a free card. Like Js9s will probably fold to our bet, but with a free card can hit a lot of turn cards in some way that gives it tangible equity.

The river spot is close imo. Given the villain is playing an odd non-full stack and is probably a weaker player, I would go for a thin value raise. This is because with the smaller bet sizing he's made (blocking bet), players will sometimes convince themselves they've forced us to "make a move" and call down with just a ten, as well as any ace. Also, I only expect to get raised if beat, so I like .35c and fold to a reraise if he comes back over the top of it.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com