Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Why?

Old
Why? - Sun May 19, 2013, 02:04 PM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2013

Why would they get all in with these hands?

Old
Sun May 19, 2013, 02:13 PM
(#2)
Since: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2198 View Post

Why would they get all in with these hands?
Obvious answer Mike..

These hands are SOOTED!

Ed

Old
Sun May 19, 2013, 02:29 PM
(#3)
Would you get all in there then? Im just watching them play now there playing like 23o on the button to a UTG raise and calling 2 barrels because they hit a 3, UTG gave up on the river and they both check and 23o wins lol

Old
Sun May 19, 2013, 02:37 PM
(#4)
Since: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2198 View Post
Would you get all in there then? Im just watching them play now there playing like 23o on the button to a UTG raise and calling 2 barrels because they hit a 3, UTG gave up on the river and they both check and 23o wins lol
No Mike - I was clearly being ironical... I thought.

I might raise the SB, but would instafold to the reraise.

I might 3-bet the BB, to defend with a reasonable hand - but would give up to further action.

However - I would not be at these tables - playing $5/$10 ZOOM - it is madness I tell you!

Ed

Old
Sun May 19, 2013, 03:06 PM
(#5)
Since: Oct 2011
In heads up poker, or blind vs blind, stack off ranges are much wider, and at higher stakes even wider still. We also get into "levelling wars".

Many beginners can't make sense of some of the plays they see in high stakes tournaments, for example. It looks completely crazy to shove with Q3s as a steal, but it can be a +EV play, partly because of fold equity, but also because players will make "spite calls" with a wide range, because they know the original raiser can be shoving very light. (See Vanessa Selbst's infamous 6-bet shove in the EPT with pocket 4s, called by her friend Kevin MacPhee's A9).

In this hand, the SB minraises, and he might be doing this with about 60% of hands or more. The BB can raise A9s for value, because it's way ahead of the SB's opening range and the SB's calling range. The SB knows that the BB will be re-stealing with a very wide range, and KJs is ahead of the restealing range, so he can now 4-bet, partly for value and partly as a bluff. KJs has pretty good equity when called, and it at least has a blocker to AK and KK. If the BB knows the SB is capable of jamming hands like KJs, then he's snap-calling with A9s, because it's ahead of the shoving range. It also has a blocker to AA and AK, and has fairly good equity even against KK and QQ.

When this shove is called, it's pretty close in equity terms. A9s will win 57% of the time. A 57/43 flip is definitely profitable to take. (Indeed, it's the same as QQ vs AK)

Looking at one hand in a vacuum isn't all that useful anyway. These guys probably have tons of history, and they probably both look at this hand as a cooler. If the positions were reversed, I should think both players would be getting it in with KJs, and both would always call with A9s.

Bracelet Winner

Last edited by ArtySmokesPS; Sun May 19, 2013 at 03:16 PM..

Old
Sun May 19, 2013, 03:17 PM
(#6)
So what would you suggest as a good stacking of range in the 3 steal seats? when my steal gets 3 betted, i dont even 44 bet light at 2nl because i expect to see good cards all of the time ive only seen it a few times where players are stacking off with junk.

I wont even stack off with AK because i know if i did im going to lose my stack this is a part of my game i could do with looking at actually might have to go and find some vids on this.

Old
Sun May 19, 2013, 03:25 PM
(#7)
Since: Oct 2011
At 2NL, 3-betting light isn't hugely +EV, and you should make the play for solid reasons (villain steals often, but folds to resteals). 4-betting light in full ring games should be done extremely rarely. I've done it a handful of times, but most of the time I think I actually had the best hand (AJ/99 etc), as villain snap-folded.
For 6-max, your 4-betting value range is a lot wider. AK seems like a standard stack-off hand in 6-max 2NL, because villains will call with AQ/AJ. JJ is also a monster in short-handed games. I think you saw the hand I posted in which a "solid" TAG got it in with 44 vs my QQ. :/

To find out what hands are profitable to stack off with, know your villains and take notes. Against some guys I'm 3-bet/folding AK. Against others, I'm fist-pump shoving that hand. (I had a 100bb shove called by J7 yesterday).

Bracelet Winner

Last edited by ArtySmokesPS; Sun May 19, 2013 at 03:31 PM..

Old
Sun May 19, 2013, 03:29 PM
(#8)
Yh i think its a play you can do vs good players, still i want to learn this stuff before going 5nl and im fast approaching the bank roll to play it as well.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com