Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Challenges & Battleground & Member Blogs /

My freeroll cash into $??????

Old
My freeroll cash into $?????? - Mon May 20, 2013, 04:09 PM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2011
OK nothing as good as Andre Coimbra's $100k but I've won $1.60 so far on this thread. I'm now going to take these winnings to the tables and try and spin it into something serious. For a start I'd like to earn $100 but I'll probably not stop at that and go a bit higher.

I like limit cash tables, there's lower variance although the bad beat can be horrendous so I'll stick to that for now. I might include other games as the challenge continues and if I go broke then I still have the freerolls to fall back on.

I'm not a great cash player so I'd like to use the money for experience on the cash tables. Free money = free training.

I started by playing 2 by 2c/4c tables with an 80c buy in on both but I'd some horrible luck and had to consolidate my funds into one table. My plan is to add an extra table for every 80c I win until I can play 6 tables. I'll move up when I feel the time is right and my bankroll is deep enough for the next level. I'm still unsure how many buy ins that will be but I'm pretty sensible bankroll wise and I shouldn't go broke unless I have a horrible run of luck.

I'll update every so often giving key hands and graphs.

I think I can do it

Current balance:

Privelidge Freerolls: $1.81
Limit Cash..........: $9.46
45 Man SnGs 25c.....: -$0.74
Total...............: $10.53

Last edited by Ovalman; Fri Jun 21, 2013 at 02:10 PM.. Reason: Current balance updated

Old
Mon May 20, 2013, 04:46 PM
(#2)
Since: Nov 2012
I did this at FTP- ran freeroll money into a workable bankroll. A few hints:

1) With $1.60, your risk of ruin is very high indeed. Keep playing freerolls; they'll give your bankroll a boost. Shouldn't be too hard to fit a few in as well as the cash games.

2) Try the 10c MTTs which play a couple of times a day with $50 added. These are very +EV for small bankrolls, and the pay structure is very friendly for getting ITM. I played 6 of them- cashed 5 times.

3) If you have enough time to play a few of them, the Skill League has a chance at giving you some free money if you can come towards the top of the leaderboard.

Good luck!

CC

Old
Mon May 20, 2013, 05:09 PM
(#3)
Thanks Chester, because I'm playing Limit tables the risk of ruin is lowered. I have a separate bankroll so it's not scared money at any time (nor would it be even if I had a low bankroll) but if I had no bankroll then I'd adopt a pretty aggressive strategy right from the start.

I just finished my first session, I was pretty tight but I had a few massive blue whales at my table that just loved to raise any rags. I think my aggression will pick up at other tables in this challenge. Won enough to play 3 tables at 80c each.

Direct link to see better : http://i44.tinypic.com/2uym4bm.png

A few swings but I never panicked and just let the whales do what their good at.

Direct link to see better: http://i42.tinypic.com/o52gxe.png

Not great aggressive stats but notice I won most in the Cut Off and Button? That shows the importance of position. I've a very low 3 bet stat but as I said blue whales done most of the raising for me.

Biggest pot won:

My tighter hand range means I'm most definitely ahead pre flop and I get odds for my flush draw on the flop. I count 15 outs in this spot and I maybe should have reraised the flop but with so many callers I'll scare some of them out. Lucky river but I'd odds throughout.

Biggest pot lost:

I just knew I was behind on this river yet I still called. It's small mistakes like this that decrease my win rate. You can't justify why players call with 64s to a 3 bet but these things happen. I was unlucky, on other occasions I'll make a load off this hand. I counted 10 outs on the turn making me a 4/1 shot so had odds for my full house but I could and should have saved myself a blind by folding the river.

Edit, Mods, is there a way to increase the size of those pics?

Last edited by Ovalman; Mon May 20, 2013 at 05:11 PM.. Reason: added direct links and bottom message.

Old
Mon May 20, 2013, 07:16 PM
(#4)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Ovalman's always thinking up the coolest ideas - GL GL with your cash games too (in addition to your Privilege Freerolls)!!

Old
Wed May 22, 2013, 05:24 PM
(#5)
I didn't play last night and I only played the freeroll and a little limit cash tonight. Balance is now $2.93.

The hand below may seem a little crazy but opponent was 100% VPiP, 100% PFR and 100% raise every street. KQs is strong enough to consider this an all in hand, it's a pity I couldn't totally stack off against him. I had him in a similar spot twice before this when stronger but he hit both times. This brought me into a small profit at the table but it's maniacs like this that will win me decent chips. I'll definitely keep an eye for him

Old
Wed May 22, 2013, 06:22 PM
(#6)
Since: Jan 2013
Opps my bad i didnt see that Arty

Last edited by mike2198; Thu May 23, 2013 at 09:49 AM..

Old
Wed May 22, 2013, 07:16 PM
(#7)
Since: Oct 2011
Mike, he's playing fixed limit. Every raise is a minraise.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu May 23, 2013, 09:50 AM
(#8)
Whats the point in playing fixed limit then your going to get rivered every day of the week.

Old
Thu May 23, 2013, 12:58 PM
(#9)
It is frustrating Mike but at micro stakes there is value to be had. I'm running at 9BB/100 which is pretty decent, even by NL standards. There is probably as much if not more skill in Limit. There is a $100/$200 6 max Limit game running on the site right now. If it were unbeatable, why would people play such high stakes? A point in question was my KKK hand above, I could have saved one BB by folding the river. Those 1BBs are as good as a chip won and decisions like this mount up over time. Play enough hands and small edges make a difference.

I said in my O/P I might include more games/ variants in this challenge but I'd really like to become a good Limit player. I'm using my freeroll winnings to practice risk free and possibly win something decent from this challenge.

Old
Thu May 23, 2013, 01:13 PM
(#10)
Hey Ovalman i would be having a fit if my set of Kings got cracked just because i can only min raise, its basically prices any draw in it looks high variance to me.

Old
Thu May 23, 2013, 02:35 PM
(#11)
Since: Oct 2011
In fixed limit, the value of drawing hands goes up somewhat (T9s is a monster!) and pairs lose their value, especially multiway, but there's definitely an edge to be found, by playing tighter than the average villains, and making good folds when appropriate. Since villains will often go to showdown very light indeed, profit comes from being able to value-bet thinly. In my opinion, it's a harder game to master than NLH, because ranges are so much wider and you can almost never price villains out of drawing, but at the lowest stakes villains will make so many mistakes, that winrates can be quite good. At high stakes, it's hard to make more than 1 Big Bet per 100 hands, but at least the rake isn't so harsh up there.

Someone with a no limit mindset would find the suckouts very tilting, I would think, but players that adjust correctly to the game can do pretty well, without losing a ton of money when the inevitable bad beats come along in a streak.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu May 23, 2013, 05:06 PM
(#12)
I missed the freeroll tonight and only played 53 hands on 1 table but it was pretty profitable. I've now $3.71 in my dollar account and can play 4 tables at a time.

Two interesting hands in this short spell:

I'd only just joined this table and had only small stats on one player. Should I have built this pot and risk losing to a full house or higher flush?

Second hand.

Villian 6 was the whale in this hand and I'm gladly playing out to the river with him. Villian 3 was my worry. He was pretty tight passive that had never re-raised a flop before. I had 100 hands on him which isn't a big sample but I time banked, thought hard and folded my over pair. It was the right decision, whale hit his flush on turn but villian 3 had TJs.

I'm still not sure on bankrolling for higher stakes. I think I'll keep adding more tables as it spreads the variance. Next level up is 5c/10c which is a big jump so somewhere around the $10 mark.

I table select to a certain extent in these games but I don't bum hunt. I look for the highest average pot game where I can either join or am first in the waiting list. High pots usually means loose aggressive players which is where a lot of my profit comes from.

Overall graph now (green line is profit):

http://i40.tinypic.com/358uxoy.png

Running at 13BB/100

Old
Fri May 24, 2013, 12:31 PM
(#13)
Just had a quick 25 minute session with 4 tables open, profit was 48c. I'm now going to use a $1 buy in for every table. I'm also going to work on getting a buffer of $1 so I can auto top up should the need arise. I'm still very short of cash and I know I can go broke at a table, my hand above where I couldn't stack off against my opponent cost me chips so I want a buffer to keep me topped up at a table should the need arise again.

Will play again later.

Old
Fri May 24, 2013, 05:29 PM
(#14)
Again another short session but I 4 tabled and made 52c profit in 20 minutes. My balance is now $4.71 and running at 15BB/100 overall. Really pleased with my progress as I know I'm making some mistakes but my overall play is good enough for this level. I haven't had a losing session/ day but I'm sure it will happen. I need the bankroll behind me now to take the swings.

I said on this thread I'm getting really bored of the shove fold game in the Freerolls. It's an easy way to make cash and start a bankroll but it's no way to get rich quick. I think I've enough of a bankroll now that variance won't matter. I'll work backwards to my current bankroll strategy if I do start losing and play the freerolls again if my balance drops below $2.

Old
Mon May 27, 2013, 09:50 AM
(#15)
Biggest pot won, sometimes you just have to get lucky.

I did hit a bit of a bad spell and lost a few $$$ over the past few days but my balance is now at $4.29 thanks to that pot above and another few decent pots.

I'd a great cash in the Pokercast game last night for $86 in a PLO game. I'm a hopeless PLO player but I hit lucky when it mattered.

Last edited by Ovalman; Mon May 27, 2013 at 09:54 AM.. Reason: added wrong hand history

Old
Mon May 27, 2013, 09:58 AM
(#16)
Argggghhh

I've messed up and got my balances mixed up. $4.29 is what I've won from Limit Cash tables according to Holdem Manager, I have to add my freeroll winnings to that which brings my total up to around $6.

I'll just quote my Holdem Manager stats from now on. I've stopped playing those freerolls now, the rewards are just not worth it and I'm comfortably balanced for 2c/4c Limit cash games.

Old
Mon May 27, 2013, 03:38 PM
(#17)
Correct fold of AA but for the wrong reasons. I put opponent on a T.

Made a small 12c profit at this table. Every little helps.

Old
Tue May 28, 2013, 03:27 PM
(#18)
I done a bit of smash and grab at 9 tables in the space of about an hour. Never lost at a table and profited by £1.38. I prefer 5 or 6 players at a table as I find I don't adjust when it becomes very short handed.

Running at 17BB/100 in just over a week. I may use Adohole's bankroll suggestion and move up when I hit $20. I'm not racing through this project only sparing an hour or so a day.

Old
Tue Jun 04, 2013, 12:33 PM
(#19)
I haven't done much of this challenge since last Tuesday, my cash graph so far (green line is profit):

http://i40.tinypic.com/dzw7kk.png

My balance currently stands at $5.83 cash profit added to the $1.81 freeroll winnings that started this challenge giving me a total of $7.64

I'm going to switch tactics and play 25c 45 man SnGs. I'm only going to play 10 to see how I get on as it's a risky strategy and I'm not bankrolled for these. If I lose the $2.50 then I'll go back to Limit cash and rebuild so I can take another shot.

Old
Tue Jun 04, 2013, 03:43 PM
(#20)
Scary start but it all ended OK. Went really low on most tables and couldn't get a double up. If I raised with QQ then there were 3 callers and the board came AK3, really struggled but managed 3 final tables with a 3rd, 5th and 6th to add another 75c to my balance. That gives me another 3 attempts at this along with another 10.

I know variance can be a killer in these, when I played the 50c turbos there were a few times when I failed to cash in 20+ games even though I'd a decent ROI. I'm keeping a tight reign on my bankroll and will stop and go back to limit if I lose the initial 10 buy ins.

Edit, rather than make a new post:

2 wins, a 4th and another 5th and 6th in my next 13 games and $4.50 to add to my profits. Think I'll stick to these for the time being. Got lucky in one of my final tables to win but I also suffered some bad beats along the way in the games I was KO'd from.

Last edited by Ovalman; Tue Jun 04, 2013 at 06:27 PM.. Reason: added edit

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com