Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

5nl fr Q9o two pair tought call

Old
5nl fr Q9o two pair tought call - Mon May 20, 2013, 06:26 PM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2013
Poker Stars, $0.02/$0.05 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 9 Players
Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

Hero (BTN): $5.09 (101.8 bb)
SB: $8.59 (171.8 bb)
BB: $1.88 (37.6 bb)
UTG+1: $6.20 (124 bb)
UTG+2: $21.63 (432.6 bb)
MP1: $3.14 (62.8 bb)
MP2: $2.55 (51 bb)
MP3: $2.40 (48 bb)
CO: $2.50 (50 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with Q 9
2 folds, MP1 calls $0.05, MP2 folds, MP3 calls $0.05, CO folds, Hero calls $0.05, SB folds, BB checks

Flop: ($0.22) 9 4 8 (4 players)
BB checks, MP1 bets $0.05, MP3 folds, Hero raises to $0.20, BB folds, MP1 calls $0.15

Turn: ($0.62) Q (2 players)
MP1 checks, Hero bets $0.30, MP1 raises to $0.90, Hero calls $0.60

River: ($2.42) 5 (2 players)
MP1 bets $1.99, Hero folds

Results:
Click to show hidden text

Last few days I feel like every time I get a decent hand I either get paid 10BB for it, or run into better hands and have to fold or showdown -50BB.

This time I get into a multiway pot in position and get top two pair, but villain (25/0 over 8 hands, plays 1 zoom table) shows such strength that I just have to give him credit for a set or straight.

Is my play correct? I just can't shake the feeling that I'm bluffed off the hand by TP or 2 worse pairs.

Old
Mon May 20, 2013, 07:56 PM
(#2)
Since: Jan 2012
Hi sluchai, actually I'd fold this hand pre-flop, is not strong enough to play after two limpers. But if you're playing it, you should make a 3x + 1BB for each limper which would be 0.25. This way it would be also easier to range your opponent.
The check raise to 3x on the turn it very strong, I'd expect him to have TJ most of the time, especially after the 1BB donk bet and calling your raise (which indicates a draw).I think sets are less likely, but he could have 99,44,88. I'd fold on the turn. But you shouldn't put yourself on this situation by folding this hand pre-flop.

Old
Tue May 21, 2013, 05:06 AM
(#3)
Hey boss,
Normally I don't play hands like this, and prefer something suited and more connected. I think Q9o is indeed too weak to raise preflop and play heads-up in a raised pot. The way I thought about it preflop is a disguised speculative hand that can pay off if it makes two pair because people would think their 1 pair is good.

I guess JT fits his line quite well. No other draws made it on turn and only 67 made it on river.

Maybe that's actually a good reason not to play offsuit 2-gappers like this - if you get 2 pair someone might already have OESD or straight

Old
Tue May 21, 2013, 11:24 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi sluch,

Q9o doesn't play all that well multiway, even on the button. But with 2 weak limpers there is some merit to raising them up to like .25c to seize initiative and attack their weak ranges. Folding isn't bad either, as they will call a preflop raise with hands that dominate us like QJ. But that only bites us when we flop the same pair, seizing the initiative gives us a lot of the pots they miss, plus a fair bit of preflop folds.

I like the flop raise. As played I think this is a good fold. The villain is loose/passive based on what we've observed here + his 8 hands of stats, the check-raise on the turn facing the strength we've shown looks super strong coming from a passive guy. I suppose it's possible we have run into Q8, but there are more combos of JT or sets we'll see here than a worse 2 pair, especially considering LP players will tend to call us down with weak 2 pairs quite often and not take this strong a line.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue May 21, 2013, 11:26 AM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluchai22 View Post
I think Q9o is indeed too weak to raise preflop and play heads-up in a raised pot.
I agree on hand value alone, a raise should more so be taking advantage of the situation and leveraging the value of position and initiative against their presumably wide limping ranges.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue May 21, 2013, 05:19 PM
(#6)
Thanks to both of you! I've just watched a couple of video lessons from archives with examples of isolation raises and squeezes, will try to use this more often.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com