Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

What approach do you take?

Old
What approach do you take? - Tue May 21, 2013, 02:30 PM
(#1)
Since: May 2013
SilverStar
My summer challenge is starting later next week and was just curious to how people around the community like to play the MICRO MTT's? Share your thoughts i'm just curious!

For me.... I switch up my style of play depending on the situation. For MTTs for the most part I like to take the TAG approach. Again depending on the situation and the players around me I may change up my play if need be but otherwise I found that the TAG approach has worked for me but then again, so has switching it up :P

How do you like to play the MTTs? SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS!

Old
Tue May 21, 2013, 02:50 PM
(#2)
Since: Jan 2013
I haven't made a cent in tourneys but i get deep in the open league, i just push or fold until i got a 20bb stack and then il open hands and play aggro when i hit the flop, its an easy strategy when your getting good cards but if you don't well i think tourneys become all luck when you are a small stack in the late stages that's why i prefer cash games.

Old
Tue May 21, 2013, 03:04 PM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2011
I tend to start off pretty tight, but I'll see a cheap flop or two in the first couple of levels if I have a speculative hand. (With 75bb, I play fairly similar to the way I play cash games). Mostly, I play pretty tight, and use the first few levels to get reads and stats on villains. It's handy to spot a way a player can be exploited if you spot him doing something weird early on.
In the middle stages, I'll start stealing much more often, as the blinds are well worth chasing.
Finally at 15bb or less, I'm into pushbot mode and basically playing according to my push chart.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue May 21, 2013, 03:23 PM
(#4)
SilverStar
Good to hear some feedback! Nice approach you take Arty. That's definitely one thing I have to do more often is stealing blinds. I did it a lot a while back then -- still do it now -- but definitely do it less then before.

Keep em comin

Old
Tue May 21, 2013, 07:01 PM
(#5)
another thing you could try is getting a HUD or just watch for people who steal a lot, with a certain bet size. You can easily resteal when the blinds aren't that high. Note that you can only do this once, as they may trap you from then

Old
Wed May 22, 2013, 11:23 AM
(#6)
SilverStar
[QUOTE=wilcogold;417775]another thing you could try is getting a HUD or just watch for people who

Good advice! And your right about the HUD I recently got one (free trial) -- I'm trying to find the right one -- but ya I've done pretty well in Major tournaments and have done really well on SNG MTT's WITHOUT the HUD. I've been using a HUD for a couple of weeks now and I can already tell this is going to elevate my game to a whole new level....

Just really crazy that I never got one before (considering how long I've been playing(

Old
Wed May 22, 2013, 03:58 PM
(#7)
Since: Aug 2010
Apply "BPBR" before you register for any MTT's and take the time to peruse the lobby for the MTT's in your price range as well.

"BPBR" is Be Properly Bank Rolled. More on that in a bit.

Scouring the lobby for the MTT's in your price range and checking out the structure's as far as standard vs. turbo or hyper-turbo,the payout structures (some pay out 20%,some 15%,some 10%...),how much the payouts jump per level (for the most part the payout increases are very incremental and small for the first 15-20 levels or so...). All of these factors and others matter.

And this is a big part of where Be Properly Bank Rolled comes in. You have to be rolled deep enough when committing to MTT's to be able to survive dry patches. I don't mean 4 or 5 games. I mean a couple weeks or even month's of little joy. Because you need to not focus much on ITM % and make deep runs the entire aim when you play MTT's. You can min-cash the majority of your cashes in multi-table SNG's like the 45 and 90 man's and have a 25'ish % ITM and be profitable. The payouts above your buy-in will allow that. NOT in scheduled freeze out MTT's though. You're simply not going to get enough of a return on your investment for this to work. Even cashing as often as 50% of the time won't get it done if you're constantly making only the bottom 8-12 levels.

Tight is right early as a rule,but if you do see exploitable players on your table early then EXPLOIT THEM. When you have big hands in the micros early playing them hard and fast tends to be the best move. There are so many terrible players who will happily double you up that you really don't need to be cute or especially creative.

Once you get to the mid-stage and approaching the bubble get your chips in play more. Steal if it's that type of set-up,play more a LAG small ball style if needed. It's really never going to be the exact same dynamic twice. You need to be able to have different gears and strategies in MTT's,and to run deep you'll need to put them all on display.

Do NOT be afraid of busting out at the bubble if you have a solid +EV play to be made. Getting a big stack for a deep run on occasion will out weigh those bubble burst moments many times over if you can get that deep run and land on the FT and beyond. That's where the money is in MTT's. Just surviving to make an ITM is not.

This is not to say that you can't use lessons learned in patience and survival to limp across the finish line some in MTT's when it doesn't go your way. Those add up and blunt the variance against you,so don't just willy nilly toss away a possible cash for no good reason when you are on a shorter stack coming to the bubble.

But when you have a stack to work with...then WORK WITH IT.

So remember...be rolled deep enough to not have to play with scared money. You hit the felt in an MTT with the "I have to cash...I have to cash..." mindset then min-cashes are all you're likely to attain. That ain't gonna cut it in MTT's.

Last edited by Moxie Pip; Wed May 22, 2013 at 04:01 PM..

Old
Wed May 22, 2013, 04:53 PM
(#8)
Since: Dec 2010
Great post Moxie!

@TommysgotAs
For more insight to BPBR (Be Properly Bank Rolled and/or Bank Roll Managment) >>click here<<

Good decisions and good luck,
CannonLee

Quintuple Bracelet Winner

Last edited by CannonLee; Wed May 22, 2013 at 04:55 PM..

Old
Wed May 22, 2013, 05:02 PM
(#9)
SilverStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie Pip View Post
Apply "BPBR" before you register for any MTT's and take the time to peruse the lobby for the MTT's in your price range as well.

"BPBR" is Be Properly Bank Rolled. More on that in a bit.

Scouring the lobby for the MTT's in your price range and checking out the structure's as far as standard vs. turbo or hyper-turbo,the payout structures (some pay out 20%,some 15%,some 10%...),how much the payouts jump per level (for the most part the payout increases are very incremental and small for the first 15-20 levels or so...). All of these factors and others matter.

And this is a big part of where Be Properly Bank Rolled comes in. You have to be rolled deep enough when committing to MTT's to be able to survive dry patches. I don't mean 4 or 5 games. I mean a couple weeks or even month's of little joy. Because you need to not focus much on ITM % and make deep runs the entire aim when you play MTT's. You can min-cash the majority of your cashes in multi-table SNG's like the 45 and 90 man's and have a 25'ish % ITM and be profitable. The payouts above your buy-in will allow that. NOT in scheduled freeze out MTT's though. You're simply not going to get enough of a return on your investment for this to work. Even cashing as often as 50% of the time won't get it done if you're constantly making only the bottom 8-12 levels.

Tight is right early as a rule,but if you do see exploitable players on your table early then EXPLOIT THEM. When you have big hands in the micros early playing them hard and fast tends to be the best move. There are so many terrible players who will happily double you up that you really don't need to be cute or especially creative.

Once you get to the mid-stage and approaching the bubble get your chips in play more. Steal if it's that type of set-up,play more a LAG small ball style if needed. It's really never going to be the exact same dynamic twice. You need to be able to have different gears and strategies in MTT's,and to run deep you'll need to put them all on display.

Do NOT be afraid of busting out at the bubble if you have a solid +EV play to be made. Getting a big stack for a deep run on occasion will out weigh those bubble burst moments many times over if you can get that deep run and land on the FT and beyond. That's where the money is in MTT's. Just surviving to make an ITM is not.

This is not to say that you can't use lessons learned in patience and survival to limp across the finish line some in MTT's when it doesn't go your way. Those add up and blunt the variance against you,so don't just willy nilly toss away a possible cash for no good reason when you are on a shorter stack coming to the bubble.

But when you have a stack to work with...then WORK WITH IT.

So remember...be rolled deep enough to not have to play with scared money. You hit the felt in an MTT with the "I have to cash...I have to cash..." mindset then min-cashes are all you're likely to attain. That ain't gonna cut it in MTT's.

VERY INFORMATIVE! Thank you for your input Moxie. Stuff you said especially at the beginning has got me thinking. As for the mindset, I usually don't think about the payouts and just focus on my game really. Also, I think that the fact that I have no fear when it comes to poker definitely wouldn't stray from just doing my thing at the bubble instead of just tightening up because of fear of busting.

What I'm going to do is start with $50 bankroll. I am just torn between starting at 25c or 50c MTT's (not sure if I want 360 or 90 or 45) or go up a little to the $1 ones and move up when my bankroll goes up. I was also going to do Micro Tournies (Hotter $.55 and etc) but I dunno.

Where to start where to start I have a lot of experience on the MTTs and cashed on Major tournaments like placing 2nd in the Pacific Rim Special. I never had structure like this before )I just played freely) so that's why I'm kind of torn up about how to start. Do the 25c and get more games/lower payout or jump to the #1 and get less games but a better score if I do good in a individual tournament. Good thing I got a week and 2 days to get it together!

Old
Sat May 25, 2013, 02:55 PM
(#10)
Great info here, good advice.

Old
Sat May 25, 2013, 03:02 PM
(#11)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hello mosquitø,

Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline. Here's a short video about PSO and what it has to offer you. Also check out >>This Page<< for more info.

We're here to help you so please feel free to ask any questions you may have and thank you for being a member of PokerSchoolOnline.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat May 25, 2013, 03:46 PM
(#12)
Great thanks man!

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com