Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

Bankroll Builder

Old
Bankroll Builder - Tue May 21, 2013, 05:22 PM
(#1)
Since: May 2013
I'm new to PSO and would like to take place in the bankroll builder promotion.

Old
Wed May 22, 2013, 04:20 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJevsky294 View Post
I'm new to PSO and would like to take place in the bankroll builder promotion.

Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Be sure to read THIS just to be be sure of exactly what's on offer with the Bankroll Builder promotion.

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion. Please check back this time tomorrow!

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschoolonline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed May 22, 2013, 08:54 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
Hi DrJevsky294,

You are eligible for the Bankroll Builder promotion, good job!
NB: Bookmark this page so that you'll find it easily in the future

First Step

Watch the following video and pay special attention to the tips on retrieving and saving your hand history from PokerStars. This will be important for the rest of your promotional journey.

After wacthing this please play some PLAY MONEY FULL-RING (9-Handed) tables at PokerStars and using the Hand Replayer post a hand here in this thread that you have questions about.
Here is a video on how to use the hand replayer.

Then when you have that done please have a go at the Poker Basics Course and pass the quiz at the end of the course.
So you have 3 steps to do to begin with and when you have all 3 done we will award you with your first bonus.

1) Watch the 'Getting Started' video
2) Post a 'PLAY MONEY' hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer
3) Pass the Poker Basic course.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 steps completed.

Best of Luck!

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Hand replay - Thu May 23, 2013, 03:09 PM
(#4)

Was I correct to fold this one on the river?

Old
Fri May 24, 2013, 05:19 PM
(#5)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi DrJevsky294!

When playing a ring game, the first tip I would have for you is to always wait for the BB to start playing. Paying extra blinds over and over will be a HUGE drain to a bankroll!

With 44 in the cutoff and 4 limpers in front of me (yes, the post counts), I'm going to check and try to setmine. If I did raise, I would need to make a standard raise to 3BB+1BB for each limper, so I would need to raise to 14. I do not want to do something in-between, as the opps will get the correct odds to stay in the hand and outdraw me. I want to make bets where I expect to gain chips over time, not ones where I expect to lose chips over time.

I totally miss the flop and when it checks to me, I've got 2 things I would do. If I checked preflop, then I'm checking here and seeing a free turn card. If I made a standard raise preflop then I'm going to make a c-bet when everyone folds to me. This bet needs to be based on the pot-size and the number of players involved in in the hand along with the board texture. With 4 opps in the hand, I need to make a pot-sized bet of 41 chips if I decide to bet... any bet lower than this can give the opps the correct odds to draw to a straight or flush, something I want to avoid doing whenever possible.

The turn is another overcard and with 2 opps left, I have the option to check and see a free river card or make a 2/3 pot (67 chip) value bet. With 3 overcards on the board that can beat me, I'll check and see the river for free.

The river is an undercard and when the opp checks to me, I'm going to check and go to showdown, since my hand does have showdown value. If I did make a value bet here, I would need to make a 1/2 pot bet.. BUT... this bet is over 1/3 of my stack, which means that I'm pot-committed.. due to this, I would have to shove, as making a 1/3 stack bet means that I can never fold. The best option here is to check.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun May 26, 2013, 02:33 PM
(#6)
Hi DrJevsky294,
Please let us know when you have passed your basics quiz so that we may continue with the program!

Joss

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Another hand story - Sun May 26, 2013, 07:34 PM
(#7)
Hi.
I'm working on passing the quiz.

In the meantime, I want to post another hand replay. I won this one, but I'd like to know if I could have played it even better.

Thanks for any feedback. I apprechiate it very much

Old
Sun May 26, 2013, 11:02 PM
(#8)
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.
He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon May 27, 2013, 10:55 AM
(#9)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi DrJevsky294!

With J4s and two limps in front of me, this is an instant muck for me as it is nowhere near a strong enough hand to be playing. Just because I may have an A or suited cards does not mean that the hand is strong enough to play. If it were JTs or better, then I'd make a standard raise to 3BB+1BB for each limper, but J4 is way too weak to do this.

If I did see the flop (which I never would), with bottom pair, I need to check and hope that I get to see a free turn card. Any opp that calls preflop can easily have a Q or K, which means I'm behind. I want to be betting when I'm ahead, not when I'm very likely behind.

The key here is to muck very bad hands preflop as playing them will cost me a large number of chips on average.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Passed basics quiz! - Tue May 28, 2013, 06:36 AM
(#10)
Hi!
Good news. I passed the basics quiz

DrJ

Old
Tue May 28, 2013, 11:27 AM
(#11)
Excellent!

You've done all 3 tasks and you'll get your first bonus in the next 24 hours, good job!

Step Two

Use your first buy-in to only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Post one hand that you had difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze it for you.
Please watch the following video and answer the question below.

List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?

Then study the Cash Game Course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

So you have 3 things to do to earn your next bonus.

1) Play the 1/2 cent Real Money tables and post an interesting hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer.
2) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.
3) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 tasks complete and we will award you with your next buy-in.

Best of Luck!

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Hand replay - Tue May 28, 2013, 04:53 PM
(#12)

What went wrong here?

DrJ

Old
Tue May 28, 2013, 07:02 PM
(#13)
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.
He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed May 29, 2013, 12:49 PM
(#14)
Since: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJevsky294 View Post

What went wrong here?

DrJ
Hi DrJevsky294!

You ran into a pretty common problem, especially for new players. You slowplayed your big hand into a loss. Let's take a look.

Preflop you have which is the 2nd best starting hand in the game, but it is not invulnerable. Raising as you did is perfect, but you should have raised more. 3bb, or 6 cents, would be standard. Big pairs QQ+ play best against a single opponent. Raising helps build the pot gaining value for your hand. Raising also helps protect your hand by limiting the number of opponents that get involved. Min-raising gives many weaker hands good odds to call and try to out flop you.

On the flop, you again bet too small. Notice the board is very connected. Both flush and straight draws are possible. On a wet board like this you want to bet about 70% of the pot in order to give your opponent poor odds. I recommend betting about 9 cent here. You bet less than half making it 5 cents.

On the turn you lead out and the villain who has passively been calling suddenly raises your 3x. Unless you have a solid read otherwize, his raise makes it pretty clear that he is holding a 7 and jsut made a straight. Folding would have been best. Even if you get a K on the river, your set will not beat a straight.

Learning when to let go of big pairs takes a while to learn. The important lesson here is to keep to standard bet sizes. It will help your stong hands stay strong. Also, if you change your betsize with respect to your cards, you will become exploitable by other players.

GL and have fun at the tables!

Roland GTX

Old
Bet sizing video answers - Sat Jun 01, 2013, 04:34 PM
(#15)
Hi.
Three reasons for placing a big bet:
- Put pressure on opponents
- Bluff someone off a decent hand
- Gain value for very strong hands.

DrJ

Old
Passed cash game quiz! - Sat Jun 01, 2013, 05:06 PM
(#16)
Hi.

I passed the cash game quiz

DrJ

Old
Sun Jun 02, 2013, 01:48 AM
(#17)
Hi DrJevsky294,

Fantastic!

Your next Bankroll Builder bonus is on it's way to you, great job so far.

Watch this video that will help you on the cash game tables

There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving this bonus and you will automatically be credited with the next bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your this bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

Joss

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Starting hands, table position - Sun Jun 02, 2013, 09:19 AM
(#18)
Hi.
After I've stared using the starting hands guide in the cash course, my winnings have improved dramatically. Only been playing at the play money tables with it, because I want to memorize as much of it as possible before playing for real money, but it works!

Some questions for you (full ring cash game):

1) When using the guide (and sticking to it), I see the flop about 9-10% of the time. Is this a good percentage, or should I aim for a little more (15%)?

2) Sometimes the number of players drops below a full table. Is it correct to keep the number of early and late positions, but to cut away middle positions? For example, a full table with 6 players would have only early and late positions?

3) On pre-flop, it happens that someone raises before me, but he raises with much less than a standard raise (2BB instead of 5BB). Must I still consider this a raise, and play accordingly?

4) The starting hands guide seems to be missing "99", and "JT" appears twice. How should I play these?

Thanks,
DrJ

Last edited by DrJevsky294; Sun Jun 02, 2013 at 09:22 AM.. Reason: Forgot question

Old
Hand replay - Sun Jun 02, 2013, 12:31 PM
(#19)

I kinda suspected the straight here... Was it wrong of me to go all the way to showdown?

DrJ

Old
Sun Jun 02, 2013, 10:42 PM
(#20)
Please play 1/2 cent full ring NLHE tables, rather than play money.

Cheers.

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Last edited by HokyPokyToo; Sun Jun 02, 2013 at 10:50 PM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com