Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

deeper thoughts

Old
deeper thoughts - Wed May 22, 2013, 09:24 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
BronzeStar
http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-h...324_86A1E6C2CB

heey guys i just looked back at a few hand and this one got me thinking. why did i cap the flop its just half a big bet more and if i show a litle weaknes i might be able to an extra 1 or 2 big bets at the turn or river so give up 0.5 big bet in vallue to get probably at least 1 extra big bet maybe even more
what do you guys think about this hand?

Triple Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed May 22, 2013, 12:50 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi ad,

I would go ahead and cap the flop here. It's hard to put him on QQ+ since he did not raise prelfop but only called, so when he check-reraises on the flop his range is largely:

-Jx hands seriously out of line
-smaller sets
-diamond draws

In all 3 cases capping the flop is better. Jx may well slow down when you raise the turn so you only get an extra half a big bet this way. But if a diamond falls it may shut down to check-call mode, costing you that half a big bet you could have got on the flop. If he's totally clueless and not going to slow down on the turn, then capping the flop won't matter, take the extra bet. Sets will cap turn and river unless a diamond falls, so get as much in as possible at all opportunities. Diamond draws will slow down probably as well so charge them the max. If they're going to foolishly overplay their draw (it's no semi-bluff, you're obviously never folding), then like the Jx it doesn't matter, so don't leave the bet on the table imo.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed May 22, 2013, 01:22 PM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2011
BronzeStar
ok thanx dave.

Triple Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu May 23, 2013, 10:02 PM
(#4)
Since: May 2013
Hi Ado,

What if the other player was holding 2 nines and his raise was to see if you had the jack?

What if your capping it out scared him away and won you the hand? That kind of thing has happened to me aplenty (not sure i'd fold 99 on LH tho).

For what its worth, I think slow play is inherently suss....and positive play is inherently good.

Almost like slow play is a bad luck generator and positive play is a good luck generator.

IMO you did the right thing here

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com