Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Is this just variance? A lot of hands, all happened after each other..

Old
Is this just variance? A lot of hands, all happened after each other.. - Thu May 23, 2013, 05:48 AM
(#1)
Since: May 2013
Like this title says, is this variance or do I have a leak somewhere? I know it is a lot to ask but please analyse these if someone has time for it. I lost like 15 hypers in a row while making shoves based on HUD stats and stacksizes.

No wins inbetween.. got me tilting a little.

Old
Thu May 23, 2013, 09:43 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi wilcogold!

In the future, please keep it to one hand per thread. This way we can keep the conversations pointed to a single hand and stay on topic.

A8o - standard play with 3BB... for this tourney, I'd look at how I got to be this low in chips instead of the exit hand.
--------------
QJ - where are we at in the tourney? ITM? bubble? These will all play into what to do. If it's early, then I'm shoving, but there are other things that may need to be considered too.
----------------
AT - On the button with AT and 5BB, I'm shoving this all day long when it folds to me. Again, this is one where I'd look to see how I got this low in chips for leaks, instead of the exit hand.
-------------
A6 - with less than 1BB.. instant ship. Once again, the problems with this tourney are probably with the previous hands, not this one.
-------------
KJ - what read do you have on the player? If they're loose, then I could maybe see calling here. If they're tight, I'm mucking it. Against a normal tourney player, KJ is good enough to shove with, but not to call a shove with.
-----------
KT - from the SB, I'm shoving KT here all day long too. Sometimes the BB will just wake up with a hand.
-----------
J9 - short stack at the table and it folds to me on the button with 4BB... shipping this all day long too.
-------------
A8 facing a shove in the SB. Here again is one where reads will be the deciding factor. If they're loose, I'll call.. if they're tight I'll muck. It depends on how the player is playing.
--------------
J2s - Where is this at in the tourney and am I already ITM? Also, how is the button playing? Tight or loose? I may shove here, I may muck here.... it depends on the answers to these questions.
--------------
66 - With 11BB when it folds to me in the SB, I'm shipping this one every time too, as I hope to be in a race if I'm called and want to maximize what little fold equity I have.
-----------------
77 - with less than 2BB, I'm snap-calling here.
-----------------------------
33 - With no chips at all, this one is an easy shove for me.
------------------
AK - I get a limp in front of me, so I need to make a raise here. A standard raise is to 3BB+1BB for each limper, so it would need to be 4BB or 160 chips... however, this basically pot-commits me, so I'm shoving AK here preflop.
----------------

While HUD stats are a part of the puzzle (none were provided here, which I do recommend that you provide on each hand for any relevant opp on future hands, as it will help us to get you a better answer), I still need to get reads on the opps as to how they're playing and what cards they have shown. The table dynamics are a BIG part of playing poker and is something that cannot be ignored.

These hands are also not really variance, as many were hands where the chips went in bad. Varaince is more when I keep getting my chips in good and have the hand that is way behind draw out on me.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu May 23, 2013, 10:35 AM
(#3)
Since: May 2013
thanks a lot, I will review your answer and my play now. Just wanted to mention that these are 3.50 6-max hypers mostly. Perhaps I can record a short session? Like 4 tabling which will take 15 min. I think this could be of a lot more help, than the exit hands indeed! If that is not too much to ask?

Old
Thu May 23, 2013, 11:23 AM
(#4)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
we don't really do videos... but we'll happily look at any hands that you would like us to (please keep it to 1 per thread).

Another option for you would be to do a tourney review with one of the trainers as a live training session.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu May 23, 2013, 08:28 PM
(#5)
Try watching this.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com