Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

[JK] Bankroll Builder

Old
[JK] Bankroll Builder - Thu May 23, 2013, 09:52 AM
(#1)
Since: May 2013
WhiteStar
Hi, new to PSO, can I try out the bankroll builder?

Old
Thu May 23, 2013, 10:03 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Be sure to read THIS just to be be sure of exactly what's on offer with the Bankroll Builder promotion.

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion. Please check back this time tomorrow!

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschoolonline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu May 23, 2013, 05:49 PM
(#3)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hello jwarry,

You are eligible for the Bankroll Builder promotion, good job!

NB: Bookmark this page so that you'll find it easily in the future

First Step

Watch the following video and pay special attention to the tips on retrieving and saving your hand history from PokerStars. This will be important for the rest of your promotional journey.

After wacthing this please play some PLAY MONEY FULL-RING (9-Handed) tables at PokerStars and using the Hand Replayer post a hand here in this thread that you have questions about.

Here is a video on how to use the hand replayer.

Then when you have that done please have a go at the Poker Basic Course and pass the quiz at the end of the course.

So you have 3 steps to do to begin with and when you have all 3 done we will award you with your first bonus.

1) Watch the 'Getting Started' video
2) Post a 'PLAY MONEY' hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer
3) Pass the Poker Basic course.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 steps completed.

Best of Luck!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri May 24, 2013, 12:50 AM
(#4)
WhiteStar

pick up 9867 with 2 diamonds in BB, CO +1 pots and i call, 6-way pot. Flop 3 pair, connected and flush draw board. Original raiser checks and CO bets 1/5 pot, very milky. I put him on the straight and flat. Turn is another 8, and I lead out for about 1/3 pot, he calls and all others fold. River is 5 and i put him all in and he calls with the straight. Two questions here...is a 3-bet pre-flop acceptable here to thin the field or just bloating the pot. Secondly, should i be checking 2nd nuts on turn and letting him bet to see if someone else bets (99xx or inferior houses), or should I lead, and how much. Thank you for any input. I have watched the video and completed the test as well.

Old
Fri May 24, 2013, 10:38 AM
(#5)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi jwarry!

This promotion is ONLY for FULL RING No-Limit Hold'em. Playing other games or tournaments after you get your first bonus will make you INELIGIBLE for earning any future bonuses.

Please play the play money FULL RING NLHE tables and post a hand that you had problems with.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri May 24, 2013, 10:08 PM
(#6)
WhiteStar
Well...it just said full ring so I thought it was open to other games...omaha is my favourite but thats okay. Here are two hands I found with questions

I feel like this is a raise, but is it here? As well, is my bet sizing okay on the flop (I felt this was a good spot to cbet with low cards)

I fold 8s preflop in this situation based on a read from the raise that he doesnt 3bet light (about 6 orbits, only 2 3 bets were KK and JJ). Should I be folding in these spots more or less?

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Old
Sat May 25, 2013, 01:16 AM
(#7)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi jwarry!

With KQs from mid position and 2 limpers in front of me, what I do here will be based on my read of the opps. If they're playing tight, I'm going to muck, as they can easily have me dominated with AK or AQ. If they're loose, then I'll make a standard raise to 3BB+1BB for each limper, so I will raise to 1000. I don't want to raise to less than this, as I can be giving the opps the correct odds to try to outdraw me.

The flop totally misses me and with raising pre, I will make a standard c-bet when it checks to me and with 2 opps, I will size it at 2/3 pot (2267 chips).
--------
With 88 from UTG, this is a tricky one and will depend for me on my reads of the opps. If the table is passive, then I'll make a standard raise to 600, but if the table is being aggressive, I'll open-muck here due to the positional disadvantage.
I then get 2 calls, an abnormally large 3-bet and a call of the 3-bet. The standard bet sizing for a 3-bet is to between 3X the previous bet and a pot-sized raise. With this much action, I need to muck my marginal pair here, as best case I'm up against not only 2, but 4 or more overcards.
I also cannot just call to setmine here, as the stacks are not deep enough. I need to have 15X the bet in both my stack and the opp's stacks to be able to get the correct odds to setmine.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

P.S. Please let me know when you have passed the quiz.

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat May 25, 2013, 09:52 AM
(#8)
WhiteStar
i have passed the quiz already

Old
Sat May 25, 2013, 10:28 AM
(#9)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Brilliant jwarry!

You've done all 3 tasks and you'll get your first bonus in the next 24 hours, good job!

Step Two

Use your first buy-in to only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Post one hand that you had difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze it for you.

Please watch the following video and answer the question below.

List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?

Then study the Cash Game course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

So you have 3 things to do to earn your next bonus.

1) Play the 1/2 cent Real Money tables and post an interesting hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer.
2) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.
3) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 tasks complete and we will award you with your next buy-in.

Best of Luck!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat May 25, 2013, 02:20 PM
(#10)
WhiteStar
a couple hands to analyze

i think i played this bad, and i freaking misclicked on the flop, I was just trying to call here and let him keep betting, or should I have done something different.

i was only at the table for 2 orbits when this happen, i felt like the reraise in late position was good, but then the guy jam ships here for some insane amount, and i feel like i cant call, but is that correct or is this more of a feel situation, in which case i had not played enough hands against him to know.

Old
Sat May 25, 2013, 03:19 PM
(#11)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi jwarry! I'll take a look at these two cash hands.

1. You have 88 in MP facing a 4bb raise from EP. I think this is a good spot to go set-mining, because the raiser is likely to have a big hand, which means you're very likely to win his whole stack if you flop a set and he has TPTK or an overpair. It's also likely that someone else will come into the pot, to improve your implied odds.
As played, it's 3-handed on the flop, and you make a monster: top boat on 855. There's a comple of ways to play this. If we were heads up, I'd usually raise the flop immediately, because I was to set up a turn shove. Since there's a flush draw and a straight draw (76) and we're multiway, I prefer flat-calling, in the hope that the villain in the blinds will also call (he'll be drawing dead with a draw). You said you mis-clicked here, which is fair enough. I've made that mistake before when I had a monster hand. I've even misclicked FOLD in all the excitement. Minraises in general are bad plays, because they give a villain great odds to call with draws, and miss some value when villain would have called a bigger raise.
The problem with this minraise in particular is that when villain calls, you'll still have a stack that is larger than the pot. If you'd made the raise a tiny bit bigger, then you could shove the turn and it wouldn't be an overbet, so villain would feel committed to calling it if he has an overpair. As played, villain calls the minraise and the turn is a totally blank 2. You obviously want to get your stack in at some point, and I think it's best to do it now, just in case the river is a scary card. Villain might not pay you off on the river if the flush draw completes, so shoving now is fine. Villain folds, so he either had a hand like AK, or he's good enough to realise his overpair is behind. Your overbet shove basically says "I have at least trips", so villain can fold one pair.

2. You made the right laydown when the villain made a cold 4-bet shove in the blinds. Unless he is a complete maniac, the only hands he should be doing this with are KK and AA. But I think you made a mistake earlier on in the hand. There is a raise by the player UTG. His range for raising in that seat is very strong. It's something like TT+ and AK. You're only beating AK and are in terrible shape against the rest of his range. It's absolutely standard to flat call with TT in this spot. Raising turns your hand into a bluff (better hands like JJ may fold), and leads to you getting value-owned because villain will only continue with hands that crush TT. In full ring games with 100bb stacks, there aren't many situations when 3-betting TT is appropriate. Medium pairs should generally be played for their set-mining value. You can win a small pot if you flop an overpair with TT, but you don't want to bloat the pot pre-flop when more than 65% of flops will contain an overcard. I'd recommend you treat TT in much the same way as 88. It's just not going to be the best hand very often on the flop, unless you flop a set.

Hope this helps!
Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat May 25, 2013, 04:06 PM
(#12)
WhiteStar
3 reasons to make a big bet:

1. to put lots of pressure on my opponents
2. to get value from my strong hands
3. to bluff people off decent holdings

I have passed the quiz as well.

Unfortunately, I lost my first buyin on two big hands...set over set on a dry board and mixing up my play with 25 bbs

Although, if i can always get it in as a 25 to 1 favourite, i will those odds usually.

Old
Sat May 25, 2013, 05:50 PM
(#13)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi again jwarry! I'll take a look at this hand.

You have 87s in the small blind with a limper and a raiser in the pot and decide to call. I'd actually be folding here for a few reasons.
Firstly, the price you need to pay is too high. Calling 7c with a suited connector is too much, as there's no guarantee this pot will be multiway.
Secondly, you'll be in the worst possible position post-flop, having to act first. Drawing hands play much better in position. It's almost impossible to make money in the long run with hands like 87s when you're in the blinds. Your range for this seat should be very narrow. I'd recommend you call with pocket pairs (to set-mine) and re-raise with monsters (AK, QQ+).
Thirdly, your stack size is an issue. With speculative hands like suited connectors, the reason we play the hand is implied odds. We'll often have to see all 5 community cards to make a monster hand (flush/straight), and to see all five cards we need to be deep stacked, firstly so we can actually get to the river and make our hand, and secondly to put another raise in when we get there. We therefore like to get into the pot cheaply with a speculative hand, with the aim of winning a whole stack when we make a monster. If the effective stack is small, then we don't have the right implied odds. Calling 7c is a big chunk of your starting stack, and you won't make a monster often enough to recoup that initial investment. The most you are likely to make here is 50c, which is only about 7 times the price of calling. With suited connectors, I want implied odds of 20 to 1. There's more about implied odds and speculative hands on my blog.

As played, you call and the limper calls, so it's 3-ways on a JT9 flop. You get really lucky and flop the bottom end of the straight. It's definitely likely that one of the villains has something on this board. Qx will have an OESD, and there are various sets and two pair combos. For that reason, I like leading out. You don't want to give the villains a chance to check behind and take a free card to suck out for free. Open shoving is the best idea, because anything smaller leaves you pot-committed anyway.
The villain with AJ makes a pretty bad call here. He's only beating total bluffs. As luck would have it, he makes a ridiculous runner-runner full house, which is just brutal. 95% of the time, you're more than doubling up here, as TPTK is way behind a flopped straight.

So this was a bad beat, but you really shouldn't be in the hand in the first place. If you find yourself very short-stacked, you should only play very strong hands that tend to flop top pair, overpairs and sets. With only 23bb to start the hand, I'd wait around for 99+ and AQ+. Hands like 87s are not playable with this stack size.

Hope this helps!
Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat May 25, 2013, 11:48 PM
(#14)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hello jwarry,

Fantastic!

Your second Bankroll Builder bonus is on it's way to you, great job so far.

Watch this video that will help you on the cash game tables

There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving your 2nd bonus and you will automatically be credited with your 3rd bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your 2nd bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun May 26, 2013, 08:52 AM
(#15)
WhiteStar
couple of spots here and a question

i know this is usually a fold but villain was playing very loose, raising with trash hands. He was cbetting alot as well so i was unsure he had one. However, when 2nd ace hits, should i be betting more so i get weaker pairs to call under the assumption that its less likely that i have an ace?

Is this a never fold spot with my stack size or not?

Finally, I was reviewing the preflop charts and there is no play for 99..do we treat this as a small or mid pair in this case?

Old
Sun May 26, 2013, 10:42 AM
(#16)
WhiteStar
Well...session was going good until this spot...

Should I be folding this preflop with the action that was present, and is it okay to semi-bluff jam the flop here, or are they always calling with overpairs?

Luckily, i am playing well elsewhere so im still up for the day

Old
Sun May 26, 2013, 12:09 PM
(#17)
Since: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwarry View Post
couple of spots here and a question

i know this is usually a fold but villain was playing very loose, raising with trash hands. He was cbetting alot as well so i was unsure he had one. However, when 2nd ace hits, should i be betting more so i get weaker pairs to call under the assumption that its less likely that i have an ace?

Is this a never fold spot with my stack size or not?

Finally, I was reviewing the preflop charts and there is no play for 99..do we treat this as a small or mid pair in this case?
Hi jwarry

With I think calling is fine if you know the villain is a bit loose. You get a decent flop. If the villain normally c-bets, then check-calling is good. If he doesn't normally c-bet, then I would lead out with a 50% bet on the pot.

As played, leading on the turn is great. As you said, the chance of him having an A go down a bit when two are showing. He still may, but it is a good spot to bet either way. He might have a pocket pair and think it now unlikely that you have an ace. You bet sizing on the turn and river look good. The goal is to bet as much as you think the villain will call with a worse hand. Usually in spots like this half the pot is a good size. Nice hand

Second hand Preflop is perfect! Preflop you want to raise and reraise every chance you get with aces! On the flop you don't want to give him a free card since the board is so connected. Also, the K and J are definately in the villain's range. So, this is a great spot to lead out with a bet. With your short stack you are almost commited by the preflop action. Once you lead out, yes, you want to call that spot 100% of the time with your stack size. You will often see tptk, and draws. Nice one!

Regarding pocket 9s. How you play them is dependant on postion, stacks and the villain. In general, they are strong enough to open with from mid-postion or better. You can call a raise with them as well. Don't call three bets with them though.

GL and have fun at the tables!

Roland GTX

Old
Sun May 26, 2013, 12:26 PM
(#18)
Quote:
Well...session was going good until this spot...

Should I be folding this preflop with the action that was present, and is it okay to semi-bluff jam the flop here, or are they always calling with overpairs?

Luckily, i am playing well elsewhere so im still up for the day
Hi jwarry!

This is a tough spot! 3-betting as you did preflop spot on with AKs. However, you get cold 4-bet, then the original raiser calls. This will normally be very strong hands, typically QQ or better. Moreover, the 4-bettor has position on you. This is not a good spot to call. Folding is an option. It is safe and lets you wait for better spots. Personally, I would consider 5-bet shoving. If you think the opponents might be 4-betting light, then 5-betting all in is a very strong move. There is so much in the pot already that the only hand you are a real dog to is AA.

You didn't catch a pair on the flop but you did improve with the flush draw. Semi-buff raising all is is perfect here. This is a profitable spot for you. Whether they call or fold. Notice, you will win about 52% of the time here. Don't stress the outcome here. Right move, wrong result!

The important part is your preflop line. Calling was the worst choice. Raise or fold

Roland GTX

Old
Sun May 26, 2013, 08:25 PM
(#19)
WhiteStar
I lost my 2nd bankroll, and i only earned about 6 vpps, but i really think i need to run better when i get it all in

what should i do now?

Old
Mon May 27, 2013, 06:51 AM
(#20)
Quote:
I lost my 2nd bankroll, and i only earned about 6 vpps, but i really think i need to run better when i get it all in

what should i do now?
Hi jwarry!

I like your aggressive line preflop. Did you have any read on the villain? Your raise was a bit heavy though. I would recommend 3bb plus 1bb for the limper making it 8 cents rather than 10. You get a good flop, but it fits with much of the villain's range too. He might have AA, KK, AK like you, or a hand that you are beating like AQ, AJ, A10 or a pocket pair. Normally I would not expect an UTG limp call to be with suited connectors that would fit this board such as QJ, J10 or Q10 of clubs, but it is not impossible.

The utg leads pretty big on the flop. He might be betting a set for value, but you hold an A and K making this less likely. Raising or calling can be fine here. Again though, I think your raise was a bit heavy. I would have made it about 45 -50 cents.

When the villain leads again on the turn it looks very strong. Q10 seems unlikely, a set is possible and you are ahead of everything else. There are enough players overplaying Ax, QQ and 1010 or chasing some sort of draw that getting all in is fine. Notice that having a read on the villain would make playing this hand much easier.

You were ahead when you got all in. So, this is another case of right move, wrong result. Try not to stress it too much. It is exacly spots like this where you will be earning most of your profit at 2NL. The villain should have folded to your raise preflop and serious overplayed his hand post flop. Getting coolered like this happens to us all.

You played the hand well aside from some bet sizing issues. Next time you are playing, start working on note taking and building up reads on your opponents. Keep a close eye on the players nearest you. Aslo, review every showdown, including the hands you are not involved in. You can use the replayer to see how they played thier hand. All this will make it easier for you to put the villain on a range in the future

Roland GTX

JWK24 will let you know how to proceed.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com