Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Quad 5s anyone? :D

Old
Quad 5s anyone? :D - Thu May 23, 2013, 01:10 PM
(#1)
Since: May 2013
SilverStar
I knowwwwww I didn't play the hand right, and would welcome comments but it was just nice to get quad fives in Open Skill League

http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-h...453_9D6ED235C2

Cheers!

Old
Thu May 23, 2013, 02:50 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi TommysgotAs!

With this being a league game, I need to be much more conservative in the way that I play this, because the one and ONLY thing that is important is to get or conserve chips, so that I can last longer and accumulate more league points.

With 55 from mid position, I'm going to limp behind here to setmine, since my stack is deep enough to do so (my stack and the opp's stacks have 15+BB's in them).

I flop a set of 5's and have a check and min-bet (which makes no sense at all) in front of me. Bets post-flop should be sized based on the number of opps and the size of the pot. With 4 opps that still have chips, I need to raise here and due to the number of opps, I need to make a pot-sized raise to 340. I do not want to bet less than this, as I can be giving an opp with a straight draw the correct odds to draw... something I want to avoid doing whenever possible. Also, if I bet too little and price in the opps and they outdraw me, it's my own fault that I lose the hand.

The turn is a blank for me but could complete a straight. Now, I have 3 opps in the hand and the same abnormal min-bet from the one opp. With 3 opps, I need to make a 3/4 pot raise, which is to 385. Once again, I don't want to bet less than this, as the opps could be getting the correct odds to draw to a straight or flush. I also do not want to overbet, as this will cause all the hands worse than mine to fold. In league games, I do not want to be all-in unless I know that I will have the best hand after all 5 cards are on the board. Since I could be beat by a straight (or someone outdrawing me on the river), I DO NOT want to be all-in on the turn here.

On the river, once I see that I hit quads, I want to bet whatever I think the other opps will call. I want to get value from worse hands and do not want to make them fold, as I then get no value for my hand.

Standard bets are a big key in NLHE tourneys. Players that make standard bets continually keep the opps guessing as to what cards they are playing, as they make the same bets with any cards they are playing. Opps that make abnormally large or small bets are basically turning their cards face-up to any observant opponents. When they do this, they'll only get called if they're beat or if they bet weak, they'll get raised off the best hand... two situations I want to avoid if at all possible.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu May 23, 2013, 03:09 PM
(#3)
Since: May 2013
SilverStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
Hi TommysgotAs!

With this being a league game, I need to be much more conservative in the way that I play this, because the one and ONLY thing that is important is to get or conserve chips, so that I can last longer and accumulate more league points.

With 55 from mid position, I'm going to limp behind here to setmine, since my stack is deep enough to do so (my stack and the opp's stacks have 15+BB's in them).

I flop a set of 5's and have a check and min-bet (which makes no sense at all) in front of me. Bets post-flop should be sized based on the number of opps and the size of the pot. With 4 opps that still have chips, I need to raise here and due to the number of opps, I need to make a pot-sized raise to 340. I do not want to bet less than this, as I can be giving an opp with a straight draw the correct odds to draw... something I want to avoid doing whenever possible. Also, if I bet too little and price in the opps and they outdraw me, it's my own fault that I lose the hand.

The turn is a blank for me but could complete a straight. Now, I have 3 opps in the hand and the same abnormal min-bet from the one opp. With 3 opps, I need to make a 3/4 pot raise, which is to 385. Once again, I don't want to bet less than this, as the opps could be getting the correct odds to draw to a straight or flush. I also do not want to overbet, as this will cause all the hands worse than mine to fold. In league games, I do not want to be all-in unless I know that I will have the best hand after all 5 cards are on the board. Since I could be beat by a straight (or someone outdrawing me on the river), I DO NOT want to be all-in on the turn here.

On the river, once I see that I hit quads, I want to bet whatever I think the other opps will call. I want to get value from worse hands and do not want to make them fold, as I then get no value for my hand.

Standard bets are a big key in NLHE tourneys. Players that make standard bets continually keep the opps guessing as to what cards they are playing, as they make the same bets with any cards they are playing. Opps that make abnormally large or small bets are basically turning their cards face-up to any observant opponents. When they do this, they'll only get called if they're beat or if they bet weak, they'll get raised off the best hand... two situations I want to avoid if at all possible.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Very informative and helpful! Thanks for the input on how you would have played it John!

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com