Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Playing limped pots in low stakes cash games.

Old
Playing limped pots in low stakes cash games. - Thu May 23, 2013, 05:58 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLangolier View Post
In position it's better, I could go either way, probably depending on the likelihood of isolating or not. What inclines me to isolate less, is the realism of that goal being achieved... live or online. Low stake live games aren't always conducive to isolating
This quote was from Dave in a recent hand analysis post of mine. It got me thinking about playing limped pots and I think I may be approaching them in the wrong way.

All situations are for a 9 handed table.

UTG/UTG+1/UTG+2 - In this situation I think we should invariably be coming in for a raise, there can be a maximum of 2 limps ahead of us so the chances of isolating are pretty good and we have a strong range from these postions so we should start to build the pot now. The only expemptions may be with 1-2 limpers in already and we hold a 22-88, is over-limping okay here?

MP [UTG+3/UTG+4] - In these situations I think our range will still be very tight, I would open raise 55+, ATs+, KJs+, AJo+, KQo. Does this range look okay?

Obviously all our premiums will still be a raise but how do we play hands such as KJ/KQ/AT when facing multiple callers. As Dave said, it varies depending on the likelihood of isolating. If we thought the pot would be 3way+ most of the time (2 of the limpers calling) would this be a reason for us to over-call and avoid raising?

Also if we don't fear a raise coming from the later positions should we be adding marginal hands to our calling range such as suited connectors, 78s+? Should I be flatting hands like QJ/KT in these positions?

HJ/CO/BTN - My opening range varies greatly across these 3 positions, when the first 3 players fold it's effectively a 6max game so I feel confident in my opening ranges.

However when I see 3/4 maybe 5 limps before me I'm unsure what to do with a medium hand strength. With hands such as KT is it better to forego a raise as we will likely be multiway OTF regardless, so just try and hit the flop or get out for cheap? Equally would we take the same action with a KJs. Where do we draw the raising line, AQo/KQs?

Also I think that flatting wide in the CO and BTN can be very profitable with multiple limps ahead. In these positions is calling going to proftitable with suited one
gappers, suited aces, as well as other speculative hands?

SB/BB - What should my calling/checking range be in these positons? Should I only be rasing premiums since when it's limped around to me in the blinds they will be a string of people already in the pot. This combined with our bad postion postflop decision surely inclines us to keep the pots small. Do hands as strong as KQs become a check in the BB?

Sorry for the lengthy post, I just have a lot of questions.

Thanks

Oli

Follow me on: Twitter

Old
Fri May 24, 2013, 06:47 AM
(#2)
Since: Nov 2012
Uff, I hate limping! I think this is a great topic for discussion as I am not very used to dealing with too many limpers in 6max (this is also one of the reasons I prefer 6max to FR). Guess people just hate to fold very often when they are dealt 10 hands an hour and they just want to see the flop no matter what

By the way, I know this is a bit off topic, but what is the rake in live games (ie the casion you play in)?

Old
Sat May 25, 2013, 11:03 AM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyGun369 View Post
Uff, I hate limping! I think this is a great topic for discussion as I am not very used to dealing with too many limpers in 6max (this is also one of the reasons I prefer 6max to FR). Guess people just hate to fold very often when they are dealt 10 hands an hour and they just want to see the flop no matter what

By the way, I know this is a bit off topic, but what is the rake in live games (ie the casion you play in)?
I think that this topic is applicable to online as well as live, although the frequency of which these situations occur in live games is far higher they can still come up when playing online and it's worth knowing how to deal with them.

The rake in the game I play at is 5%, capped at a maximum of £5. So if the pot is over £100 they will only take out £5. I'm not sure what rake is like in other games but this seems reasonable and certainly beatable to me.

Follow me on: Twitter

Old
Sat May 25, 2013, 01:03 PM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2011
Your iso-raising range for MP looks good to me. I've not played much live, but I hear you have to make really big raises to thin the field, so something like 8bb might be appropriate if you have AK in MP facing two limpers.

In later positions, I'd generally just over-limp with everything but monsters. You can speculate with a very wide range in position, due to the insane pot odds you get when the pot is 5- or 6-handed. I'd rather call with A6s and 97s than KTo, to be honest, unless you can keep your discipline and make hero folds if you just hit top pair with KT. Remember than in multiway pots, the winning hand will tend to much stronger than in heads up pots. I wouldn't put a lot of money in the pot post-flop without at least top two pairs, but preferably trips, the nut straight, or a flush.

For the blinds, it depends on the price you're getting, but you can probably turn a profit (even OOP) by playing the hands you'd call with in the CO, but you'd probably be better off dumping offsuit connectors and offsuit aces, as these have so few ways to win. (In fact, they tend to lose big pots, when they make the idiot end of straights, or a worse two pairs than the winner).

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat May 25, 2013, 05:31 PM
(#5)
Since: Nov 2011
Quote:
The only expemptions may be with 1-2 limpers in already and we hold a 22-88, is over-limping okay here?
Usually yeah, so long as the stacks are deep and you don't have maniacs behind. These aren't hands to come in for a raise with at a full table in EP imo.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com