Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

Bankroll builder (UK)

Old
Bankroll builder (UK) - Thu May 23, 2013, 07:13 PM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2013
Is it OK to apply for Bankroll Builder if resident in UK, ie. bankroll in £UK rather than $US? If so, sign me up!

Thanks.

Old
Fri May 24, 2013, 11:24 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by freaky.facto View Post
Is it OK to apply for Bankroll Builder if resident in UK, ie. bankroll in £UK rather than $US? If so, sign me up!

Thanks.
Hello,

You are eligible for the Bankroll Builder promotion, good job!

NB: Bookmark this page so that you'll find it easily in the future

First Step

Watch the following video and pay special attention to the tips on retrieving and saving your hand history from PokerStars. This will be important for the rest of your promotional journey.

After wacthing this please play some PLAY MONEY FULL-RING (9-Handed) tables at PokerStars and using the Hand Replayer post a hand here in this thread that you have questions about.

Here is a video on how to use the hand replayer.

Then when you have that done please have a go at the Poker Basic Course and pass the quiz at the end of the course.

So you have 3 steps to do to begin with and when you have all 3 done we will award you with your first bonus.

1) Watch the 'Getting Started' video
2) Post a 'PLAY MONEY' hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer
3) Pass the Poker Basic course.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 steps completed.

Best of Luck!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thumbs up
Bankroll Builder session feeback - Hand Replayer - Fri May 24, 2013, 12:20 PM
(#3)

I was dealt pocket nines in middle position. UTG raised to 180, making me think premium hand, maybe AK, AQ. Three other players also called -- however, from previous rounds I believed these players would have called this bet regardless of their hand, as they were all deep-stacked and playing loose-passive. Therefore, my only real concern was for UTG's hand.

Flop came 3-K-T rainbow. I was initially worried UTG may have paired the board with a King. However, when the three players to my right checked to me, I sensed weakness. Since the pot was already quite large (though still aware that UTG may be setting a trap for me with AK or KK), I opted to bet around one third of the pot (280) as a show of strength. My aggression, in the form of a sizeable continuation bet, was enough to convince the other four players to fold.

Last edited by freaky.facto; Fri May 24, 2013 at 12:29 PM.. Reason: Additional info.

Old
3 steps completed. - Fri May 24, 2013, 12:27 PM
(#4)
Hi,

I've now completed all three of the above steps. I've been playing full-ring play money games for a number of weeks now, and passed the Poker Basic course a month or so ago. However, I only used the Hand Replayer for the first time today. I found it extremely useful!

Thanks.

Old
Fri May 24, 2013, 04:20 PM
(#5)
(Community Coordinator)
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.

He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri May 24, 2013, 06:24 PM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi freaky.facto!

With 99 from mid position, I get a limp (posting of a blind) and an abnormal raise to 6BB (a standard raise would have been to 3BB+1BB for each limper) and then a call of the raise. The key here for me is... can I call this to setmine? To setmine, I need to have 15X the bet in both my stack and the opp's stacks, which here is 2700.. which we all have. Due to this, I can call to setmine.

I get 4 opps and a flop with not one, but two overcards. When it checks to me, I'm going to check behind here, as with this many opps calling an abnormally large raise, most likely someone has a 10, K or pair that could hit the board for a set or be higher than mine. If I did bet here, I would have to make a POT-sized bet due to the number of opps.... but.. this bet basically also pot-commits me, so if I bet, the only play I can make is to shove, which I'm not doing in this situation. I do not want to bet less than 1/2 pot, as by doing that, I can be giving the opps the correct odds to draw to beat me (if I'm ahead in the first place). This means that the OPP'S expect to gain chips from MY bet... something I want to avoid if at all possible.

A bet of 280 (30% of the pot) does not show strength here.. it actually shows weakness. To show strength, I'd need to make a standard bet. It also is way too small of an amount to use as a c-bet. Here are my standard c-bet sizes... 1 opp = 1/2 pot, 2 opps = 2/3 pot, 3 opps = 3/4 pot, 4+ opps = pot.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Hand replay feeback - Fri May 24, 2013, 08:45 PM
(#7)
Thanks for the analysis, I'd never heard about the 15x SetMine Rule before. As a relative newcomer to the game, any tips are always appreciated.

I think my decision-making in Play Money games is overly-influenced by the fact that many opponents tend to throw their chips around haphazardly, which is why I wasn't too fazed by the number of opps calling the abnormally large bet. You're quite right, of course - under 'normal' circumstances, checking behind would have been the wiser choice, as the two overcards posed a serious threat.

In hindsight, my C-bet was just asking to be called. This, I think, was my biggest mistake. Next time I want to take a pot down, I'll make a bigger statement!

Cheers again.

Old
Sat May 25, 2013, 07:02 AM
(#8)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Hi,
I've now completed all three of the above steps.
Brilliant!

You've done all 3 tasks and you'll get your first bonus in the next 24 hours, good job!

Step Two

Use your first buy-in to only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Post one hand that you had difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze it for you.

Please watch the following video and answer the question below.

List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?

Then study the Cash Game course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

So you have 3 things to do to earn your next bonus.

1) Play the 1/2 cent Real Money tables and post an interesting hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer.
2) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.
3) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 tasks complete and we will award you with your next buy-in.

Best of Luck!

Bracelet Winner

Old
1/2c game - Thu May 30, 2013, 08:18 AM
(#9)
Hi,

1. I have watched the video. Three reasons to make a big bet: a) To put pressure on opponents/force them to make tough decisions; b) To bluff opponents off decent hands; c) To protect your strong hand against a very wet board

2. I have watched the video.

3. I have NOT posted a hand for analysis yet, as I went down to $0.22 without being involved in any interesting hands. However, as $0.22 is insufficient to join any table, I am unable to continue. Please advise? Thanks.

Old
Thu May 30, 2013, 08:24 AM
(#10)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Hi,

3. I have NOT posted a hand for analysis yet, as I went down to $0.22 without being involved in any interesting hands. However, as $0.22 is insufficient to join any table, I am unable to continue. Please advise? Thanks.
No worries, post any hand(s) from this session. This is an important step as we can't credit you with another bonus until we see a $0.01/$0.02 cent had that you played with the 1st bonus we gave you.

As soon as you post the hand we'll continue on from there

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu May 30, 2013, 09:04 AM
(#11)
Hi, thanks a lot for the speedy reply, you guys are rapid!

Here's my hand replay. Not the mot spectacular, but reasonably well-thought out (or so I thought!)

If I'd been in any other position, I probably would have limped in with wired 3s (or mucked them altogether in the face of a raise). However, as everyone folded around to me, I decided to use my power of position and raise 3 and a half times the big blind. It worked, and I took the pot without seeing a flop.

Old
Thu May 30, 2013, 09:20 AM
(#12)
(Community Coordinator)
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.

He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu May 30, 2013, 11:08 AM
(#13)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi freaky.facto! I'll take a look at this hand.

With 33 on the button, you have a good chance of stealing the blinds by opening for a raise. Even if you get called, you'll have position, so you can often take the pot down on the flop with a continuation bet, whether you flop a set or completely miss. I think your raise size is a little too large. 3bb is quite sufficient here, and is the standard size whatever the strength of your hand.
If someone else had open-raised in front of you, you might have been able to call and go set-mining. Your stack is fairly short at around 50bb, but if there was a standard raise of 3bb, you could call, because you'd have implied odds of a little over 15 to 1, which should be enough for you to make a profit.

Hope this helps!
Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri May 31, 2013, 07:46 AM
(#14)
(Community Coordinator)
Hello,

Fantastic!

Your second Bankroll Builder bonus is on it's way to you, great job so far.

Watch this video that will help you on the cash game tables

There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving your 2nd bonus and you will automatically be credited with your 3rd bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your 2nd bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Losing hand - Sun Jun 02, 2013, 12:56 PM
(#15)

Hi, this is the hand where I lost my second bonus. Unsuccessful bluff attempt with dwindling stack. Please advise?

Last edited by freaky.facto; Sun Jun 02, 2013 at 12:58 PM..

Old
Mon Jun 03, 2013, 07:09 AM
(#16)
(Community Coordinator)

Cheers.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Jun 03, 2013, 12:15 PM
(#17)
Since: Jan 2012
Quote:

Hi, this is the hand where I lost my second bonus. Unsuccessful bluff attempt with dwindling stack. Please advise?
Hi freaky.facto

Opening with AQo is fine, but at the lower end of the utg range. Unfortunately you got a string of callers. It seems reasonable to assume that at least one of them is holding a pocket pair.

The flop is just low cards. When the villan min-raises, you have two playable options. You can call which will keep the pot small and let you see the turn cheaply. I think I would go for this option. Then you can reevaluate on the turn and still safely fold.

The second option is to raise if you think the villain is showing weakness with the min-raise. This is reasonable if you think the villain will call with a worse hand than yours. Either way, I would raise to about half the pot, or 12 cents. This is enough to get the villain to fold yet small enough for you to get away from the hand if necessary for example if they 3-bet. Raising 18 cents as you did seems too big and gets you value owned. All the hands you are beating fold, while only the hands beating you call. Plus, it is big compared to your stack more or less committing you to the hand.

I hope this helps!

GL and have fun at the tables!

Roland GTX

Old
Mon Jun 03, 2013, 12:28 PM
(#18)
Thanks for that.

The table had been fairly tight as a whole, which is what made me think I could steal the pot. I didn't give sufficient credit to my opponents' bets. Lesson learned.

Old
Tue Jun 04, 2013, 03:52 AM
(#19)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Thanks for that.

The table had been fairly tight as a whole, which is what made me think I could steal the pot. I didn't give sufficient credit to my opponents' bets. Lesson learned.
Brilliant,

Your Bankroll Builder progress is moving along nicely and you will receive your 3rd bonus later today!

Step Three

Now we really want you to up your game! Your challenge is to earn 10 VPPs after getting today's buy-in.

Note that any VPPs that you have earned up to this point won't count, only those earned AFTER you get your 3rd buy-in.

When you hit your target of 10 VPPs we will award you with your final Bankroll Builder bonus. Let us know when you reach the target.

Also, if you make a deposit at this stage we will also award you with your final bonus.

Best of Luck at the tables and let us know as soon as you have earned the 10 VPPs or if you make a deposit.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com