Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

BBs v M

Old
BBs v M - Thu May 23, 2013, 11:38 PM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2013
im a big fan of M (which measures your stack relative to an unopened pot) as opposed to simple big blinds

main reason is that big blinds alone will not factor in important variables such as whether there is ante, how big the ante is relative to blinds, and how many players there are

examples:

you have 1000 chips

A. blinds 50/100 no ante 6 players
B. blinds 50/100 20 ante 10 players

in both examples you have 10 big blinds
but in example A the pot is 150 so your M is 1000/150 = 6.67
in example B the pot is 150+200 from antes = 350, your M is 1000/350 = 2.85

so you can see that on table B you are in much worse shape than on table A, but a BB system would not differentiate between the two tables

what's your opinion on the subject everyone

Old
Fri May 24, 2013, 01:27 AM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
Agreed,once the antes are out M is the way to go.

I think the simplest way to apply M and what it means for one's stack versus the blinds and antes is this: When you calculate M what it's telling you is how many orbits you have left at the current blind/ante level before you blind out.

Look at your example: 10 players on the table,BB-100,SB-50,antes 20x10=200...therefore every orbit of the table we're losing 350 chips,so in 2 orbits we'll have lost 700 and before a third orbit is quite completed we'll blind out.

Were one to just calculate the BB they would think they're maybe a bit deeper,or more to the point in less dire straits than they really are. M shines that light better I think.

When M comes into play and I'm short I like to get my mindset properly focused by thinking of the quote by a true American treasure,Yogi Berra..."It gets late early here".

Old
Fri May 24, 2013, 02:27 AM
(#3)
Since: Jan 2012
I think in terms of M and Q as well. If my Q drops below 0.5 I switch to push/fold no matter what my M or bb says. However, many of your opps are thinking in terms of bb. So, sometimes it is worth keeping all three thoughts in your head.

One risk of using bbs rather than M is is when you are getting very short stacked. I feel M gives a more accurate indication of fold equity. Just looking at your bbs might lead you to overestimate you FE and be waiting too long before pulling the trigger.

(Anyone not familiar with the terms M and Q. All this is laid out in the classic Harrington on Holdem. Q is the average stack size.)

GL in Vegas!

Roland GTX

Old
Fri May 24, 2013, 10:31 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
I agree with you too. At the beginning of the tourney, when everyone's got a stack, I'll look at it by BB's. However, once the antes are in and especially when everyone starts to get shorter, I'm looking at M.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com