Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

BegiFirst stage of a 250 man tournament

Old
BegiFirst stage of a 250 man tournament - Sat May 25, 2013, 05:28 AM
(#1)
Since: May 2013
Villian is the typical 19/14
We are about 50-75bb deep

http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-h...999_E327895D61

edit: title fail, but no way to fix from my side..

Old
Sat May 25, 2013, 09:15 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
Hi wilcogold,

Interesting hand.

I would prefer raising larger early in a Tournament when stacks are deep. 3x to reduce the number of callers and also increase the size of the pot for later in the hand. In this hand if we had raised 3x and villian had 3bet to 9x it would have been an easy fold.

Raising on the flop is good I think. It's a little on the large side I think, it would be difficult to fold to a shove from behind. But thats probably not a bad thing when the pot is multi-way like it is, the pot is bloated and someone people may just be happy to go to the mat with any Kx hand with the ammount of money in the pot.

Would you have called or folded to a larger shove on the flop?

After villian just flat calls the small shove I think you've played the hand well. Turn bet is really small and could be weakness. Then improving on the river I think it's an easy call. If we miss on the river I think we'd fold to a shove.

Villian played the hand really bad. Victim of slow-play-itis

Andy

Quad Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun May 26, 2013, 06:12 AM
(#3)
Since: May 2013
Hey Andy,

Thanks for the analysis. After joining the bet sizing live lesson yesterday I think I will raising bigger and more consistent from now on. When player 5 reraised my I was thinking of QQ-AA. When the flop came a K and I had a K myself it was quite unlikely he had kings.

At this point I decided to raise pretty big in order to put player 4 allin and perhaps make player 5 fold his hand in case he had QQ and was scared of the king. I wanted to get rid of the callstations as well. If I would end up flipping with the short stack my odds were pretty good because of the callers who might fold.

When I got calls at the flop it was quite likely I had the best hand, as I had top pair. Yet the small bet indicated that he might have aces and tried to make me push allin. So I decided to take the relatively cheap card. At this point AT was ruled out to me as he reraised me preflop. I think at this point it was unlikely he had me beat here, according to my reasoning. QQ wouldnt call the raise when the king came, aces didnt hit the board, etc.

I think if I faced a shove on the flop I would call depending on the stats so far. Some people like to donkbet allin with any king or even A7..

Thoughts?

Old
Mon May 27, 2013, 06:46 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilcogold View Post
At this point I decided to raise pretty big in order to put player 4 allin and perhaps make player 5 fold his hand in case he had QQ and was scared of the king. I wanted to get rid of the callstations as well. If I would end up flipping with the short stack my odds were pretty good because of the callers who might fold.
We don't really need to fold out QQ as they are drawing to 1 out. So I think it's better to focus on getting value from weaker hands. I would also think AK & AQ would be in the villians range. With AK being the one we're worried about on this flop. I think we're better off betting a little smaller to encourage QQ and worse Kx to continue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilcogold View Post
I think if I faced a shove on the flop I would call depending on the stats so far. Some people like to donkbet allin with any king or even A7..
On the other hand if you plan on calling a shove anyway then betting larger gives you bet odds to call off with and makes it less likely your opponent will shove with worse hands.

I don't think I'd be very happy calling a shove on this flop to be honest. So I would prefer raising smaller and folding to a reraise, unless we're up against a very loose opponent.

Quad Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com