Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Where did I go wrong?

Old
Where did I go wrong? - Sun May 26, 2013, 10:05 PM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2012

Hello! What should I have done here? Do you think I should have called? Or should I have played it differently from the start? And they were playing 18/10 over 50ish hands if that changes anything..

Thanks!

Old
Sun May 26, 2013, 11:54 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
I'd three bet more. A typical 3-bet is 3x openers raise if no one followed. So 3-bet to 375 to 425.

With a flush draw on the flop against an opponent without a good read I prefer bet 2/3 pot or more. I'd go with 500 - 550.

The river is a tough spot when you don't know how your opponent plays post-flop. AJd is in their pre-flop range. I'd have to work out some combinations and run them through propokertools equity calculator which handles ranges in specific suits. but betting more pre- and post-flop might have kept you out of this tight spot.

Old
Sun May 26, 2013, 11:59 PM
(#3)
Since: Dec 2010
Hello Proey64,

Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline. Here's a short video about PSO and what it has to offer you. Also check out >>This Page<< for more info.

We're here to help you so please feel free to ask any questions you may have and thank you for being a member of PokerSchoolOnline.

A hand analyzer will get to this hand within the day.

Kind regards,
CannonLee

Quintuple Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon May 27, 2013, 02:56 AM
(#4)
Since: Apr 2012
I agree with Trumpin, bet more and jam the turn, so he must pay for drawing to flush or straight. I think you made correct fold, dont know what stakes are those, but i dont think villain with those stats would make big river bluff there.

Old
Mon May 27, 2013, 08:54 AM
(#5)
Since: Jul 2012
I can't see my self folding there and I think bet sizing is fine. On a double paired board I don't think flush would push. He's got TX, very rarely 33 ,or nothing better than KK. after I invested half of my stack I'm already pot committed , I couldn't fold there.

Old
Mon May 27, 2013, 02:28 PM
(#6)
Since: Dec 2012
Ah thanks! Yeah I see what you mean, if i were to 3 bet more, and make a larger bet on the flop I would have a pot sized bet behind and could shove.

Old
Mon May 27, 2013, 03:33 PM
(#7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proey64 View Post
Ah thanks! Yeah I see what you mean, if i were to 3 bet more, and make a larger bet on the flop I would have a pot sized bet behind and could shove.
Yup.

I find that betting too small costs me more than betting too much.

Good decisions!

Old
Mon May 27, 2013, 03:51 PM
(#8)
Since: Jul 2012
It's not about costs you need to get value from your hand

Old
Mon May 27, 2013, 04:08 PM
(#9)
You've got half of it down. The other have is minimize losses, or chips saved count the same as chips won.

Old
Tue May 28, 2013, 08:52 AM
(#10)
Since: Jan 2012
Hi Proey64

I think you played hand brilliantly. The only thing I could suggest would be to 3bet slightly bigger but as we have position I don't mind the smaller 3bet.

Your bet sizing post flop is perfect, what you did 'intentionally or not I don't know', but what you did is you set up a nice amount of chips to shove all in on the river. There is 3000 chips in the middle and you have 1500 behind which is a great amount to shove and we will often get called by worse.

Unfortunately the board pairs and villain jams!!! Now I do think that there are a good amount of bluffs in his range but I'm still going to fold, he can have some 10x hands and every now and then e can turn up with a flush. When we fold we still have 25 big blinds which is a stack we can work with.

Well played. Chris.

Last edited by ChewMe1; Tue May 28, 2013 at 09:21 AM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com