Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

50NL 6-max: AA against weird line

Old
50NL 6-max: AA against weird line - Mon May 27, 2013, 04:26 AM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2011
Hi all,

The opponent on the bb is a 28/14, who plays quite badly & weird. The notes I have on him that are relevant are:
"-Raised UTG's c-bet on AA7 board with J7, after call checked back turn and river.
-Check/raise UTG's c-bet on Khigh board with KJ, check turn, bet river. was up against AK."

So to begin with I am a bit perplexed by his play. He seems to overplay his TP hands on the flop, but after getting called he doesn't treat it like the nuts. That led me to believe that he wouldn't go broke with it on the flop.

In the actual hand he defends his bb and c/r the flop.
At this point I thought that I would flat call his raise on the flop and based on my reads, if he checks turn, I would go ahead and bet it for value against top pairs.
He fires the turn as well which actually got m a bit worried, so again I just call, especially 190bbs deep.

weird....

On the river, I check back, which I really don't like, since I now even beat top two pair on the flop (J9).
All in all, I got tricked and only got 30bbs worth of value from m AA.

The question is how should I approach similar spots against this sort of opponent?
i. 3-bet flop for value
ii. call flop/ bet if checked to, on turn and on river

Old
Mon May 27, 2013, 04:02 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2011
(Live Trainer)
I like your line up to the river, and I don't see many good alternatives being IP and a little deeper. Let him do what he loves (x/r with medium strength hands, draws or even bluffs) and barrel off to you while protecting your stack more against his top range and leaving yourself room to exit the hand if needed. It's also a nice bonus that you have the which gives you some insurance when a spade turns. Same applies to the turn imo.

OTR I use tiebreakers to decide for/against a valuebet and I would go about doign it like this:

Tiebreaker 1 = Villain is a recreational player capable of weird lines and possibly of loose calls (recr. love going to sd)
Tiebreaker 2 = Villain's line makes his hand easily readable based on info/notes you already have on him.

First off, with all their superstrong hands like boats/flushes most people - especially notsotricky - recreational players certainly bet the river most of the time hoping to get called by an overpair/Jx.

Since you have a note that says he is capable of x/r weak made hands for value/info on boards where it doesn't seem appropriate his range OTR may well contain many Jx type hands including J9 which just got counterfeited. When the flush gets there villain suddenly freezes the action and checks to you indicating that you are basically free to v-bet. I don't expect a guy like that to be capable of turning a made hand into a bluff here so if he were to x/r you OTR you would still have an easy fold.

Live Trainer

Last edited by PSO-xflixx; Mon May 27, 2013 at 04:09 PM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com