Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

9-man 1,50$ SnG small pocket pairs

Old
9-man 1,50$ SnG small pocket pairs - Tue May 28, 2013, 11:26 AM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2010
Hey, before I start off with the actual hand I know most of you are not that keen on raising utg with small pocket pair. But from experience I know that in these SnG's small pocket pair can do very well because people are willing to get the money in with any overpairs or top pairs on the flop.

So now the actual hand, I had pocket 6 UTG and made a small raise (this is one of the first hands this SnG)a few seats later this guy makes a very weak 3-bet with 1 caller (have no stats or reads on any of the 2 villains), at this moment I have to put 70 more in into a 350 pot. If I would miss the flop I would just simply fold it without having any big losses. The flop comes and there is a 6 with it, well the rest of the hand is some pretty standard play where it was most likely villain had AA or KK.

But now I am wondering what others their oppinions are on small pocket pairs this early in SnG's. (it was a turbo btw)

Well I ended up doubling up+ a bit, which is a great matter in these turbo SnG's.

Old
Tue May 28, 2013, 08:11 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
Hi taomage,

I think opening small pairs UTG is fine here. We are nice and deep at the moment so implied odds are good. And by opening for a raise we can still win the hand with a CBet when we miss.

I agree the 3Bet is easily small enough to be giving us very good immediate odds and great implied odds.

I think you've played the hand well.

Andy

Quad Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue May 28, 2013, 09:05 PM
(#3)
Since: Sep 2010
Thnx Andy, just wanna make sure I play these hands in the right way. Since I play small pocket pair alot in early stages of SnG's and MTT's.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com