Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Buy-ins.

Old
Buy-ins. - Tue May 28, 2013, 11:59 AM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2011
Hi,

Is it advisable to buy in for the maximum amount, or is playing with the minimum ok? What are the pro's and con's. Cheers.

Old
Tue May 28, 2013, 12:01 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Shodan388!

Whenever I'm at a ring table, I'm always buying in for the max. That way I can maximize value for my better hands.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue May 28, 2013, 12:09 PM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2011
Advantages of buying in full:
You maximise your winrate if you have everyone else at the table covered (you can win their whole stack in one hand).
Deeper stacks mean you can play more speculative hands that benefit from a high stack to pot ratio.

Disadvantages:
If you're not a winning player, your bankroll will get depleted more quickly.
If you're not comfortable playing weaker hands when deep, you may play "scared".

Advantages of Short-stacking:
Variance is lessened, as you are risking less in each hand.
Your roll will last longer if you're a losing player.
You can take shots at higher stakes if your bankroll isn't quite big enough to buy-in full.

Disdavantages of Short-stacking:
Winrates will be lower, as you can't win a monster pot from a deep-stacked player.
You have to play a tighter range (very little speculating) and this can be quite boring.

I'd recommend beginners buy in for 100bb, as that's the standard, and allows you to play the "normal" strategy recommended in the PSO courses.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue May 28, 2013, 12:12 PM
(#4)
Since: Sep 2011
Thanks for the advice guys.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com