5NL zoom Whats a good raise size - Tue May 28, 2013, 05:22 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2010
Playing 5nl zoom,

no read on seat 5
18 hands this is his 2nd raise

eevn less of a read on seat 7

what would be a good raise size
My thought is to raise 3 times seats 5 raise and add a bit for the limp so to make it around 40 cents to go.

What are your thoughts?

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue May 28, 2013, 06:44 PM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2011
If you're going to 3-bet, then 40c would be fairly standard. There's no limp, just a call. A full pot-sized raise would be be to 47c, but when there's a raise and a call and I'm in position, I usually go with 4x.

If the player in UTG+1 had made a standard 3x raise, I'd generally just flat call here, to keep his range relatively wide, but the minraise looks pretty weak. I'd expect him to have a medium pair that wants to see a flop cheaply. You don't want him doing that, so raising for value looks good, as he's likely to call oop and then check-fold when he doesn't hit his set.

If he 4-bets, then suddenly it all gets turned on its head and he probably has KK+ and was trying to get action with his minraise. :/

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue May 28, 2013, 06:54 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
ty Arty,

Yes i did mean call not limp although as you say with the minraise, it might as well be a limp.

That said it is zoom and with everyone hitting the fast fold button as fast as they can a min raise is often enough.

So theoretically say I did raise to 40c and get min raised again, should i call and play causious or would you just go for a fold in that case?

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue May 28, 2013, 08:01 PM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2011
If villain clicks it back to 70c, then it's really sick, but I think you have to fold, although it's really close. You'd have to call another 30c and with the dead money in the pot, you'd stand to win about $4.60, so the implied odds would be very close to 15 to 1. You'd need to have the discipline to fold an overpair if the flop comes low cards, because villain would be repping KK+ and you have to flop a set to be confident about stacking off. If starting stacks were the full $5, then the minraises would mean you can go set-mining, but even then it's only marginally profitable in the long run.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed May 29, 2013, 01:56 AM
(#5)
Since: Sep 2012
I'd squeeze to 40c with the intention of 5b/calling off and be pretty happy about it.

Never folding QQ pre against non-full stacks.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com