Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

[JK] Bankroll Builder

Old
[JK] Bankroll Builder - Tue May 28, 2013, 09:07 PM
(#1)
Since: May 2013
Hi I just joined and would like to be part of this promotion

Old
Tue May 28, 2013, 09:10 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Be sure to read THIS just to be be sure of exactly what's on offer with the Bankroll Builder promotion.

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion. Please check back this time tomorrow!

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschoolonline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed May 29, 2013, 11:45 AM
(#3)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hello skippycamper,

You are eligible for the Bankroll Builder promotion, good job!

NB: Bookmark this page so that you'll find it easily in the future

First Step

Watch the following video and pay special attention to the tips on retrieving and saving your hand history from PokerStars. This will be important for the rest of your promotional journey.

After wacthing this please play some PLAY MONEY FULL-RING (9-Handed) tables at PokerStars and using the Hand Replayer post a hand here in this thread that you have questions about.

Here is a video on how to use the hand replayer.

Then when you have that done please have a go at the Poker Basic Course and pass the quiz at the end of the course.

So you have 3 steps to do to begin with and when you have all 3 done we will award you with your first bonus.

1) Watch the 'Getting Started' video
2) Post a 'PLAY MONEY' hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer
3) Pass the Poker Basic course.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 steps completed.

Best of Luck!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed May 29, 2013, 05:08 PM
(#4)

Bankroll Builder Feedback

Just looking for some insight into this hand; preflop call, bet size after the flop, checking on the river and what if someone had bet big on the river?

thanks

Old
Wed May 29, 2013, 07:15 PM
(#5)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi skippycamper!

This promotion is only for FULL RING games. Playing any type of table or game other than FULL RING 2NL once you get your first bonus will make you INELIGIBLE for any future bonuses.

Preflop, with QT from the BB with 2 limps and a raise in front of me, I'm either going to 3-bet to 120 (3X the previous bet) or fold and the overwhelming majority of the time, I'm mucking. QT is too marginal of a hand to be playing when out of postion.

If I was in the hand (which I would not be), I flop top pair and a gutshot draw, but I can very easily not have the best hand here. If I was sure that I had the best hand, then I would need to make a 3/4 pot (120 chip) value bet. I do not want to bet less than this, as someone with an open-ended straight draw can then be getting the correct odds to outdraw me. I also can very easily be beat by an opp with KT or AT here, so I could also check here, especially if any of the opps have shown any aggression.

The turn is a total blank and I'm going to check here. A standard value bet would be 2/3 pot with 2 opps and I would not want to bet more or less than it. Players that bet more with better hands and less with marginal hands are basically turning their cards face-up to an observant opponent... something that I do not want to do.

The river is another blank and with an opp that called my flop bet, I can very easily be behind, so since my hand does have showdown value, I will check and hope to get to showdown without putting another chip into the pot.

The key here is to muck marginal hands preflop, especially when out of position.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

P.S. Please let me know when you have completed the other steps.

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed May 29, 2013, 07:48 PM
(#6)
nice, thanks for the answer.
I did the quiz at the end and got 82%

i have to do the full ring though, i clearly missed that

Old
Wed May 29, 2013, 07:56 PM
(#7)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Brilliant skippycamper!

You've done all 3 tasks and you'll get your first bonus in the next 24 hours, good job!

Step Two

Use your first buy-in to only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Post one hand that you had difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze it for you.

Please watch the following video and answer the question below.

List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?

Then study the Cash Game course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

So you have 3 things to do to earn your next bonus.

1) Play the 1/2 cent Real Money tables and post an interesting hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer.
2) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.
3) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 tasks complete and we will award you with your next buy-in.

Best of Luck!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed May 29, 2013, 08:45 PM
(#8)
ignore this

Last edited by skippycamper; Wed May 29, 2013 at 08:46 PM.. Reason: wrote wrong comment

Old
Wed May 29, 2013, 09:06 PM
(#9)

oh boy feel free to tell me how bad I played this.
I thought he wouldnt flat with AQ, I figured he had a smaller ace.
But then after the hand I realized even if he did I was playing to chop the pot at best.
I know I played this bad but I need a proper analysis.

thanks

Old
Thu May 30, 2013, 04:04 AM
(#10)
Since: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by skippycamper View Post

oh boy feel free to tell me how bad I played this.
I thought he wouldnt flat with AQ, I figured he had a smaller ace.
But then after the hand I realized even if he did I was playing to chop the pot at best.
I know I played this bad but I need a proper analysis.

thanks
Hi skippycamper!

Opening with is fine from early mid-position and your 3x raise is sized well. Both blnds call. You are going to have position on them which is great, but did you have any reads on either player? Btw: flatting with AQo in the sb is probably the best route. From his perspective, your range is fairly small A10s+, 77+. Rather than building a pot oop, he opts for pot control.

You flop top pair, uncertain kicker; however, you also got a decent flush draw and possible straight draw. This monotone board will look pretty scary to anyone who doesn't have a heart. Plus, the A and Q are both cards in the villains' ranges. This is a good spot to c-bet as you did, and I like your bet size. Good job!

The sb min-raises you. Now is when a read is critical! Some players do this as a complete bluff, others do this with the nuts, and some do it with a strong draw. Knowing how to interpret the action here should be based on how you have seen the villain play earlier hands. Your hand is good, but not great. You do not have top kicker, nor are you drawing to the nut flush. But you do have showdown value and position. Calling as you did is fine, but we need to be careful and re-evaluate on the turn.

The board pairs on the turn and the villain leads with a 50% pot bet. This looks strong. Without a read I would actually fold here for two reasones. Firstly, none of your potential outs will give you the nuts. Even if the K of hearts comes, you may be beaten by a full house or quads. If any other heart comes, you may also beaten by a better flush and so on. Secondly, the villain seems to like his hand. He raised the flop, and lead on the turn. It seems likely that you will be facing another expensive bet on the river. The only hands you are beating are bluffs or overplayed AX or pocket pairs, none of which seem likely with all the action that has taken place thus far and no read to support it either.

This is a tricky spot to identify, but folding on the turn would be best.

Luckily the villain checked down the river. Good job not overplaying your hand and betting! That would have gotten you value owned. Only hands beating you would call which would have cost you more money. Most of the hands you are beating would fold, meaning it is unlikely you could win move value on the river in spots where you are ahead.

You didn't play this hand badly, except for your turn call and that wasn't that obvious. Moreover, you realized yourself after the fact that this was a bad spot. I think you should be happy, tbh! You are learning. Now that you are recognizing dangerous spots like this, you just need to incorporate it into your game. This becomes easier the more experience you gain.

I suggest you start working on note taking, especially the opponents nearest you. Are they playing a lot of hands (tight/loose), are the usually betting or calling (passive/aggressive) and look at the showdown hands. You can then replay the hand and see how the opponent handled a situation. For example, did they limp AA, did the slowplay a monster, did the overplay a marginal hand, bluff a lot etc etc. All this stuff will let you start to put a villain on a range of hands.

GL and have fun at the tables!

Roland GTX

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com