Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Line against a LAG bigstack on the bubble

Old
Line against a LAG bigstack on the bubble - Fri May 31, 2013, 01:03 AM
(#1)
Since: May 2013
WhiteStar

villian limps utg, his vpip is 46% thru 160 hand and hes making substandard calls preflop (weak off suit aces and low connectors as examples). I check 107 suited, flop gives me 3 10s, i feel like this crushes most of his limp range except j10 and others so i check and he checks. 3 on the turn means nothing, I check again, but should I be betting here on the turn to build a pot or just still slowplaying. He had been raising on alot of turns so i felt he would bet here but he checks again. River is another three giving me 10s full. Now I have to bet, but its small to induce, and he min raises me back. In a previous hand, he has limped 34 suited and such before, I felt like a shove could get max value, his turn check means he almost never has a 10 here, and he wouldnt think I would double check one too. He makes an extremely loose call with ace high. Is my line okay here, or should i be playing it differently. I just felt that a lag would be more willing to call my shove here.

Old
Fri May 31, 2013, 05:05 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2012
I would bet turn , that kind of player calls 99%. You where lucky to get paid on the river

Old
Fri May 31, 2013, 10:55 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
**moved to more appropriate forum JWK24**

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri May 31, 2013, 11:24 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi jwarry!

What type of tourney is this from? The reason that I ask is that different types of tourneys have different strategies, so I want to give you the best answer possible for your given situation.

Since it wasn't listed, I'll assume it's a standard cash buy-in MTT.

With T7s from the button and UTG limping, I'm going to check and see a free flop here, as I don't have a strong enough hand to raise with.

I flop trip 10's and I need to make a value bet here. I want to get value for my hand, try to set up the pot, so that it's much easier to get it in by the river (especially with a LAG) and also to see if I'm ahead as I have absolutely no information about the opp's hand since they limped preflop. My standard value bet for a HU situation is 1/2 pot, so I will bet 463 chips. I do not want to check here for another reason too and that is that there is a possible straight draw. If I check and the opp hits the straight, it would be my own fault that I lose the hand, as I gave the opp a positive play to stay in the hand and try to outdraw me... which is ia BIG problem.

The same thing on the turn, but now there is a straight and flush draw possible. I need to make another 1/2 pot value bet here for the exact same reasons as the flop. Especially with the flush draw, I need to make a bet to give the opp the wrong odds to try to draw. LAG's could easily have suited cards and if I check and they hit a club flush, it would be my own fault that I lost the hand.

The river gives me the top full house and now I want to bet whatever I think the opp will call. If I had bet the flop and turn, there would already be 3700 in the pot. If I made another 1/2 pot bet here, it would pot-commit me, so shoving the river is not only an easy play... but a play that completes the story I've told in the hand and is 100% believable.

The way it played out, getting the opp to call the shove was very lucky. Also, it was very lucky that they didn't have a draw that hit due to the checks. When playing a hand, I want the entire hand to tell a complete story. Three checks, then a bet/shove just doesn't look right, so an observant opp will not pay off the shove and I want to get every piece of value that I can for my hand.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com