Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

Becoming a better poker player

Old
Becoming a better poker player - Fri May 31, 2013, 09:11 AM
(#1)
Beto
Since: Sep 2012
WhiteStar
Greetings!

I want to be a better poker player and thats why I want to take part in the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Looking forward about this opportunity.

Beto "Easy"
Brazil

Old
Fri May 31, 2013, 09:18 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beto "Easy" View Post
Greetings!

I want to be a better poker player and thats why I want to take part in the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Beto "Easy"
Brazil
Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Be sure to read THIS just to be be sure of exactly what's on offer with the Bankroll Builder promotion.

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion. Please check back this time tomorrow!

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschoolonline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Jun 01, 2013, 09:19 AM
(#3)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Greetings!

Beto "Easy"
Brazil
Hello,

You are eligible for the Bankroll Builder promotion, good job!

NB: Bookmark this page so that you'll find it easily in the future

First Step

Watch the following video and pay special attention to the tips on retrieving and saving your hand history from PokerStars. This will be important for the rest of your promotional journey.

After wacthing this please play some PLAY MONEY FULL-RING (9-Handed) tables at PokerStars and using the Hand Replayer post a hand here in this thread that you have questions about.

Here is a video on how to use the hand replayer.

Then when you have that done please have a go at the Poker Basic Course and pass the quiz at the end of the course.

So you have 3 steps to do to begin with and when you have all 3 done we will award you with your first bonus.

1) Watch the 'Getting Started' video
2) Post a 'PLAY MONEY' hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer
3) Pass the Poker Basic course.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 steps completed.

Best of Luck!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Here come the kings! - Mon Nov 11, 2013, 01:34 PM
(#4)
Beto
WhiteStar

Moderated bet to isolate players. I calculated ~40% of improvement chances after flop (using the 4-2 rule on J+Q+K) so I kept pushing. The stake difference between me and the other players was good for me, so they did an instant call.

Oh, and by the way: I already watched the videos and passed the basic course.

What's the next step from here?

Last edited by Beto "Easy"; Mon Nov 11, 2013 at 02:04 PM..

Old
Tue Nov 12, 2013, 08:15 AM
(#5)
(Community Coordinator)
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.

He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Nov 12, 2013, 02:09 PM
(#6)
Since: Oct 2010
Hi Beto,

I will be your Hand Analyzer for this post

I think preflop is okay. But our decision has to be made OTF. With almost a pot sized bet we have to decide if we want to put the rest of our money into the pot, because betting small and having to fold on later streets is bad. I think here we have 10 outs which may not be clean because the board is very coordinated so a Q or a K might not even be good for us because someone could make a better straight. Although shoving all in OTF means we only need to win 32% of the time I think its not quite right to consider we will win 40% of the time because as I explained our outs may not be clean so I think we might be better off giving up on the hand by check folding.

Old
Tue Nov 12, 2013, 10:01 PM
(#7)
Beto
WhiteStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoVARTA View Post
Hi Beto,

I will be your Hand Analyzer for this post

I think preflop is okay. But our decision has to be made OTF. With almost a pot sized bet we have to decide if we want to put the rest of our money into the pot, because betting small and having to fold on later streets is bad. I think here we have 10 outs which may not be clean because the board is very coordinated so a Q or a K might not even be good for us because someone could make a better straight. Although shoving all in OTF means we only need to win 32% of the time I think its not quite right to consider we will win 40% of the time because as I explained our outs may not be clean so I think we might be better off giving up on the hand by check folding.
Ok, I agree with your analysis. I'm pretty confident that I'm going to learn a lot and improve my poker with the advices from PokerSchool.

Thanks for your help.

Beto "Easy"
Brazil

Old
Wed Nov 13, 2013, 06:28 AM
(#8)
(Community Coordinator)
Brilliant!

You've done all 3 tasks and you'll get your first bonus in the next 24 hours, good job!

Step Two

Use your first buy-in to only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Post one hand that you had difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze it for you.

Please watch the following video and answer the question below.

List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?

Then study the Cash Game course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

So you have 3 things to do to earn your next bonus.

1) Play the 1/2 cent Real Money tables and post an interesting hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer.
2) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.
3) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 tasks complete and we will award you with your next buy-in.

Best of Luck!

Bracelet Winner

Old
Bet sizing - Wed Nov 13, 2013, 08:01 AM
(#9)
Beto
WhiteStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalraise85 View Post
Brilliant!

You've done all 3 tasks and you'll get your first bonus in the next 24 hours, good job!

Step Two

Use your first buy-in to only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Post one hand that you had difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze it for you.

Please watch the following video and answer the question below.

List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?

Then study the Cash Game course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

So you have 3 things to do to earn your next bonus.

1) Play the 1/2 cent Real Money tables and post an interesting hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer.
2) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.
3) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 tasks complete and we will award you with your next buy-in.

Best of Luck!
Hello,

I've a question regarding bet sizes: looking at the difference between my stake size and the opponents one, does it cause any different approach regarding the small, medium and big bets? I'm asking because even if you're betting 3x the pot (let's say for protection), if the opponent has a huge stake, he will probably not even be aware of you trying the pressure movement and will probably call.

Thanks for your help.

Beto "Easy" - Brazil

Old
Mission Accomplished - Thu Nov 14, 2013, 05:59 AM
(#10)
Beto
WhiteStar
Hello poker master. How are you today?

I finished the cash game quiz and watched the video.

Three reasons for a big bet are: to put pressure on the opponents, to bluff people off decent hands, to protect against strong draws.

I played for the first time in real money tables. That was really tough. I use to say that if after 3 rounds you can't find the duck on the table, well, then you're the duck. And... well... I was always the duck. :-)

I really feel that I need to improve my game. What's the best way to do it?

Looking forward for the next steps.

Thank you very much for your attention.

Beto "Easy" - Brazil

Old
Thu Nov 14, 2013, 08:55 AM
(#11)
(Community Coordinator)
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.

He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Nov 14, 2013, 01:35 PM
(#12)
Hi Beto,

It's always nice to see PSO members interested in learning and improving their game
The Bankroll Builder is a great way to start learning the game. I highly recommend you watch the training videos here at PSO: http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/library you can also attend live trainings: http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/live-training and make use of the forums: http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...oker-Education to post hands after you finish with the BRB challenge.

Now back to the hand in question
Preflop Raise: OK . Calling 3bet: Not OK
With 20bb stack and facing a 3bet I am looking to shove or fold. With AJo, I'm going with the fold especially after the SB has cold called OOP.

Old
Fri Nov 15, 2013, 05:15 AM
(#13)
(Community Coordinator)
Fantastic!

Your second Bankroll Builder bonus is on it's way to you, great job so far.

Watch this video that will help you on the cash game tables

There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving your 2nd bonus and you will automatically be credited with your 3rd bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your 2nd bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
How to get more for this kind of hand - Mon Nov 18, 2013, 04:22 AM
(#14)
Beto
WhiteStar
Hello Poker Master! Hoe are you today?

I'd like your advice on this hand. How can I get more value from this kind of opening hand?

Thanks for your help.

Beto "Easy" - Brazil

Old
Mon Nov 18, 2013, 05:57 AM
(#15)
(Community Coordinator)

Cheers.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Nov 19, 2013, 02:22 AM
(#16)
Since: Jan 2012
Quote:
Hello Poker Master! Hoe are you today?

I'd like your advice on this hand. How can I get more value from this kind of opening hand?

Thanks for your help.

Beto "Easy" - Brazil
Hi Beto "Easy"!

You ask a good question. How can you get value from a big pair? In this situation it folded around to you and you raised 5bbs. This is too big of a raise. I suggest making it a standard 3bb. Raising big often gets you value owned. This means that all the hands you are beating such as smaller pairs, usually fold. While only the hands beating you continue with the hand. This creates a situation where you win less when you win, and lose more when you lose. We want to do the opposite in poker.

Secondly, I recommend always using standard bet sizes in order to conceal the strength of you hand. If you raise big with your premium hands and raise small with your weak hands, you will be easy for better players to beat. If you raise the same, nobdy will know if you have AA or 72o.

Finally, JJ is a tricky hand. It is a strong opening hand, but it can be very tricky to play post flop since there are so many overcards that can come. Be careful not to overplay it postflop.

In general at 2NL, most of our money is made postflop. Try to see the flop with playable hands in good position. Then when you flop a set or other strong hand you can build the pot post flop with confidence.

GL and have fun at the tables!

Roland GTX

Old
Tue Nov 19, 2013, 05:10 AM
(#17)
(Community Coordinator)
Great stuff!

There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving your 2nd bonus and you will automatically be credited with your 3rd bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your 2nd bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
My worst hands - I lost my credits and managed only 4.34 VPPS - Thu Nov 21, 2013, 07:45 AM
(#18)
Beto
WhiteStar
Hello poker master!

I've to say that I wasn't able to accomplish the mission of earning 10 VPPS with the $2. I just earned 4.34 VPPS.

Below you can see my worst hands. I've to say that I was always very selective on the hands (the ammount of folds were high to my previous patterns). Some of the opening hands here that aren't good enough to play were tested as a variance.

Now I wait for the next step. To be honest I'm a little sad because I wasn't able to reach the objective, but on the other hand the ammount of time that I played really gave me more confidence at real money tables. I think now it's a matter of learning from the mistakes, of studing more and of reading my opponents better.

Thanks again for all your help.

I'm looking forward for your analysis.

TRYING PAIR OF FIVES

PAIR OF FOURS LOST FOR POOR CONNECTION

PAIR OF NINES WINNING THE POT

RAISING TO PROTECT A GOOD OPENING CARDS

THREE OF A KIND X MY PAIR OF SIX

WAITING FOR THE CARD THAT NEVER CAME

BLUFFING AGAINST POSSIBLE 'NOTHING HITTED' ON THE FLOP (WAS GOT BLUFFING)

BLUFFING KINGS AGAINST FLUSH DRAW

Last edited by Beto "Easy"; Thu Nov 21, 2013 at 07:51 AM..

Old
Thu Nov 21, 2013, 09:16 AM
(#19)
(Community Coordinator)

Cheers.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Nov 22, 2013, 05:43 AM
(#20)
Hi Beto,
Don’t worry about losing your stack. It’s not about the money, it’s about the learning experience and it shows that you are ready to learn and improve this is how winning poker is done

Hand#1:
I would call with 55 to setmine if I had 15x the bet amount behind. When we call we will only hit a set on the flop approximately 1 in 10 times so I need to be able to win at least 10 times more on the call. I use the 15x rule because sometimes our opponents will also miss the flop and we don’t get action when we hit so my implied odds need to be larger to make the call. With your stack size, I would fold to a raise.

Hand#2:
Here we have 17bbs, I would raise tighter peflop because I have less room to play post flop. If we were playing deeper then raising 44 from EP is okay. We have to fold when they bet with only 2 outs to improve.

Hand#3:
I would stick to 3x raise preflop or $0.06

Hand #4:
I would always call and not raise. We are in the BB with a suited ace and we are getting okay odds to call and play a small pot with a hand that can play well post flop. Our hand however is not a value hand, meaning we cannot 3bet and call an all in preflop with it so by 3betting we are kind of turning our hand into a bluff. I also would not raise that small. That size does not accomplish anything except bloat the pot when we are OOP. I would call preflop and x/f if they bet flop.
Hand #5:
I think with 13bbs we can fold 66 preflop and look for a better hand to open shove from EP. If we were in late position I think it would be okay

Hand #6:
15bbs this is a fold preflop. As played I think you can cbet the flop and expect to pick up the pot a decent amount of the time

Hand #7:
Could be a fold preflop , but I like the line you took to isolate a limper and cbet the flop. Obviously there is not much we can fight for when they raise us.

Hand #8:
Fold or raise; I don’t advocate limping into pots. And this is such a marginal hand that will be hard to play post flop without initative. We can raise to try and steal the blinds and put a lot of pressure on our opponents post flop.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com