Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Call jam on the river with two pair?

Old
Call jam on the river with two pair? - Fri May 31, 2013, 05:13 PM
(#1)
Since: May 2013
a 1.50$ 6-max turbo no limit game:

villian is 31/16/4.7

Last edited by wilcogold; Fri May 31, 2013 at 05:37 PM..

Old
Sat Jun 01, 2013, 01:23 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi wilcogold!

I think the key to this hand is actually before the river and here's why....

With KJ in the BB, the SB completes. Looking at this as a HU situation, KJ is well within my raising range, so I'm going to raise to 500 preflop (my standard raise for this blind level). There is one way where I would just check here and that is if the opp is playing tight, which this player is not. A tight player would normally have a real hand here, so I'd check and see the flop IN position.

I flop 2nd pair on a board with straight and flush draws. When the opp checks to me, I'm absolutely going to make a position value bet of 1/2 pot, whether I raised preflop or not. If the opp isn't going to rep an A, then I will. Whenever I'm playing short-handed, I don't want to check 2 streets in a row. By betting the flop (especially if I raise pre), the opp should not be calling this without an A or better. It gives me a chance to win the pot now and if not, then I can dramatically tighten the range that the opp is playing.

After raising pre and betting the flop, if the opp calls both, then leads the turn, then I'm looking at it that I'm behind and need to hit one of my outs to improve. If their bet prices me in, then I'll call.. otherwise, I'll muck. Any sizable bet will price me out and I'll muck the turn.

If I'm still in the hand at the river, with 2 pair, I'm hoping that the opp doesn't flip over AJ when I call the river.

I think the keys with this hand are to raise preflop and to bet the flop when it's checked to me. This way, the opp is not getting the correct odds to be in the hand and if they're that bad of a player, I absolutely want them calling my value bets, as I will gain a large number of chips from them overtime in a situation like this.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com